• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

5+yrs Old Hybrids...

Top_Gear

Dear expert members,

1) What is your opinion about Honda Fit- GP1 (YOM 2011-12) and Toyota Aqua (YOM 2012-14) which are being seen quite lot in the market these days around 32-36mils ?  A 2013-14 Aqua sometimes goes with a below 35mil price tag whereas a 2011-12 Fit goes with the same price or even higher, even they haven't got much figure on the clock.What is the reason of such price tags and is it worthy to go for such model?

2) Will it be necessary to replace the hybrid battery even 5yr old car haven't done 100,000kms?

3) Can Honda Fit be driven without the hybrid battery? ('cuz Honda Insight runs as an ordinary gasoline car even the hybrid battery is dead, isn't it? If so the same technology has been used on Fit- GP1, I guess?)

Your expertise on this regard is greatly appreciated. Cheers!

• Haha 1

Yeah got it. Thank you anyway.

But could you answer my no.3 please.

3) Can Honda Fit be driven without the hybrid battery? ('cuz Honda Insight runs as an ordinary gasoline car even the hybrid battery is dead, isn't it? If so the same technology has been used on Fit- GP1, I guess?)

Cheers

3 hours ago, Top_Gear said:

Cheers

It's simple. Hybrids are DESIGNED to run the petrol engine and Hybrid Battery complementing each other.
No hybrid will run properly without the Hybrid battery. Period.
Stop asking stupid questions!

Man what's wrong with Sri Lanka? ? 
All these guys want to run Hybrids without the Hybrid Batteries, Cars without Servicing and finally deceive the next buyer with cheap makabass scams!
Don't always try to find cheap ways to do everything! :( 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jason_Bourne said:

It's simple. Hybrids are DESIGNED to run the petrol engine and Hybrid Battery complementing each other.
No hybrid will run properly without the Hybrid battery. Period.
Stop asking stupid questions!

Man what's wrong with Sri Lanka? ? 
All these guys want to run Hybrids without the Hybrid Batteries, Cars without Servicing and finally deceive the next buyer with cheap makabass scams!
Don't always try to find cheap ways to do everything! :( 

this is the best comment I have seen so far about the Sri Lankan hybrid owners mentality? First when the battery is good, driving like grandmas on the fast lane to save another cent of fuel and creating huge traffic jams behind ,now wondering if the car will run without high voltage battery. No body seems to care about saving the environment these days,LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

19 hours ago, Top_Gear said:

Cheers

Honda GP1 cannot run without the hybrid battery, if the battery is dead you need to replace it with a good battery.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/31/2018 at 2:05 PM, Top_Gear said:

Dear expert members,

1) What is your opinion about Honda Fit- GP1 (YOM 2011-12) and Toyota Aqua (YOM 2012-14) which are being seen quite lot in the market these days around 32-36mils ? 

My Opinion? I like the GP1 and dislike the Aqua. Used a GP1 for 3 years. Was an excellent vehicle for the price I paid (in a sri lankan context) 

A 2013-14 Aqua sometimes goes with a below 35mil price tag whereas a 2011-12 Fit goes with the same price or even higher, even they haven't got much figure on the clock.What is the reason of such price tags and is it worthy to go for such model?

Depends on each car. People aren't dumb anymore to listen to tall-tales and buy raped cars for high prices.  Good cars fetch good prices. Well maintained ones with proper records and no open-papers and not sold by buy-and-sell monkeys  fetch decent prices. Fit GP1's are priced from 29 lakhs to 36 lakhs. I sold mine for 34.

General Reasons: (1)Generally Hybrids were cheap so they get sold cheap (same applies somewhat to lancer cs1/2/3's ) plus due to the batteryphobia generally market price is less. (2)There's an influx of unreg vitzes in the market for the same budget. 

2) Will it be necessary to replace the hybrid battery even 5yr old car haven't done 100,000kms?

it depends on the condition of the battery and does not necessarily co-relate with mileage. A high mileage vehicle might have a good battery. This is why a batter report is important. If i remember correctly several members including myself had GP1's with 75% usable capacity on their batteries and most of them were 6+ years old. 

The IMA is a mild hybrid yes. The involvement of the battery is less (heck it drinks a lot of fuel) and one fine day the battery won't just die. The warning signs will be there (this was discussed earlier too with regards to insight/fd3- same tech) and No you can't drive if the battery is fully dead. 

Hope this is enough for you to make an informed decision. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, ajm said:

No body seems to care about saving the environment these days

I really don't think anyone was concerned about the environment in the first place. There was a tax cut on hybrids (actually there still is) and back then for the price of an abused sh*t-pile with wobbly wheels and yellow headlamps and the sh*t stains of the previous owners (whose name incidentally was not on the CR cos hey its been on open papers for 13 years) kid you could get a 2/3 year old car with lots of bells and whistles  that was not a Indian tin-can-on-wheels - the choice was simple. 

Edited by matroska
  • Like 1

On 8/31/2018 at 2:05 PM, Top_Gear said:

Dear expert members,

I will answer to you based on my experience of driving a Civic. Since they are based on the same IMA generation, this is possibly valid for GP1, GP2, Insight but I am not certain.

The hybrid battery will not die out within a day. It's a process that happens over time and when the usable capacity of it drops below a certain percentage, your dashboard will show a warning indicator.

The IMA system pairs the engine with an electric motor so the amount of 'work' the engine has to do is reduced. The hybrid battery powers the electric motor. The weaker the hybrid battery gets, the less and less the electric motor will 'assist' the engine. 

1. The petrol engine will be used more frequently to charge the hybrid battery as it has lost its capacity to hold a charge. The battery control module would frequently try to recalibrate the battery to adjust to the new (lesser) level of usable capacity.  Fuel consumption will be higher than normal.

2. The cars pulling power will be lower at times due to the lack of electric motors assist. In the case of the civic hybrid, it will lose 20HP of power when the battery charge is dropped. The car would feel like a drag to accelerate.

3. Car would be started by the 12v battery as opposed to the hybrid battery. The civic comes equipped with a regular starter to start the car when the hybrid battery does not have enough charge to do so.  But the 12v battery will wear out faster than normal.

Technically, you can drive the car for years and years with the hybrid battery almost dead (but not physically removed) and with the IMA indicator showing. It will get you from point A->B but it would be a downright shitty driving experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

what a joke the hybrid 2nd hand market has become with prospective buyers asking funny questions!

The hybrid system is not just a battery and motor, there are also other components like Inverter,AC-DC converter,DC-DC converter. Each one has a specific purpose to ensure that the system works smoothly without reaching boundary conditions. As a very basic example, if a sufficient voltage is not available at a DC/DC converter input, it will try to work extra hard all the time to create the sufficient Hi-voltages . This would result in  overheating and premature failure of the electronics parts. So by continuing driving with a bad Hi-voltage battery, you will also  accelerated the failure of all other components in the hybrid system.

It might make sense to remove all the hybrid components if you plan to use like that, also to get rid of the useless extra weight which will reduce your fuel consumption. But if the car can be used after that is another question.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ramishkad said:

3. Car would be started by the 12v battery as opposed to the hybrid battery. The civic comes equipped with a regular starter to start the car when the hybrid battery does not have enough charge to do so.  But the 12v battery will wear out faster than normal. 

Technically, you can drive the car for years and years with the hybrid battery almost dead (but not physically removed) and with the IMA indicator showing. It will get you from point A->B but it would be a downright shitty driving experience.

Does Civic hybrid have a alternator to charge 12V battery?, it seems in GP1, the high voltage battery charges the 12v battery. So if you need to run the GP1 with a dead high voltage battery, the 12v battery should be charged externally right?. Pls correct me if I wrong.

7 hours ago, matroska said:

I really don't think anyone was concerned about the environment in the first place. There was a tax cut on hybrids (actually there still is) and back then for the price of an abused sh*t-pile with wobbly wheels and yellow headlamps and the sh*t stains of the previous owners (whose name incidentally was not on the CR cos hey its been on open papers for 13 years) kid you could get a 2/3 year old car with lots of bells and whistles  that was not a Indian tin-can-on-wheels - the choice was simple. 

yes although these were the REAL reasons many hybrid buyers at the time DID brag about saving the environment. Even in this forum,LOLZ ?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, ajm said:

yes although these were the REAL reasons many hybrid buyers at the time DID brag about saving the environment. Even in this forum,LOLZ ?

Yeah those are the type who drive their prius to throw their garbage on the roadside at night.

Sri Lankans and Saving the environment should not appear on the same sentence actually ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, tbird said:

Does Civic hybrid have a alternator to charge 12V battery?, it seems in GP1, the high voltage battery charges the 12v battery. So if you need to run the GP1 with a dead high voltage battery, the 12v battery should be charged externally right?. Pls correct me if I wrong.

Hi,

No it does not have an alternator. It just has the DC-DC converter. In the case of a weak hybrid battery, the power would be continuously drawn from the petrol engine in order to keep the 12v charged( a continuous battery recalibration by the BCM). This is a very inefficient scenario with higher fuel consumption, lower performance and not to mention premature wear and tear of both 12v and IMA system components.

Edited by ramishkad

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/4/2018 at 2:28 PM, ramishkad said:

I will answer to you based on my experience of driving a Civic. Since they are based on the same IMA generation, this is possibly valid for GP1, GP2, Insight but I am not certain.

The hybrid battery will not die out within a day. It's a process that happens over time and when the usable capacity of it drops below a certain percentage, your dashboard will show a warning indicator.

The IMA system pairs the engine with an electric motor so the amount of 'work' the engine has to do is reduced. The hybrid battery powers the electric motor. The weaker the hybrid battery gets, the less and less the electric motor will 'assist' the engine. 

1. The petrol engine will be used more frequently to charge the hybrid battery as it has lost its capacity to hold a charge. The battery control module would frequently try to recalibrate the battery to adjust to the new (lesser) level of usable capacity.  Fuel consumption will be higher than normal.

2. The cars pulling power will be lower at times due to the lack of electric motors assist. In the case of the civic hybrid, it will lose 20HP of power when the battery charge is dropped. The car would feel like a drag to accelerate.

Thank you very much @ramishkad for your valuable information shared. Greatly appreciated!!