• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Suitable Octane for 660cc Cars

Madushike

1 hour ago, Madushike said:

What is the suitable Octane for Japanese 660cc Cars Like Wagon R, Spacia, Hustler, Pixis?? Octane 92 or 95???

Are you referring to the petrol selling in Sri Lanka? Unless you do not pump diesel to those, either 92 or 95 petrol would be ok....? But I prefer always pump 95 petrol to my EUROs. That would be better I think in terms of quality.

15 hours ago, tilvin said:

Are you referring to the petrol selling in Sri Lanka? Unless you do not pump diesel to those, either 92 or 95 petrol would be ok....? But I prefer always pump 95 petrol to my EUROs. That would be better I think in terms of quality.

95 is better quality than 92 is a misconception, both go through quality checks. You need to be more concern on the fuel station as some of them are known to rig pumps and also mix Kerosene. 

If the condition of the tanks are bad they can get contaminated with water and rust particles, as they are made of steel and are underground.

As for Euros they are designed to run on Premium needs 98 otherwise they are happy to run on Super which is 95.

• Like 1

After extensive research online regarding this I came to the conclusion that octane 92 fuel is more than enough for any jdm car and for most cars on the market. Used to pump only 95 and then switched to 92 myself after I found out it makes little to no difference.

Just find a good fuel station and you'll be fine.

• 6 months later...

With recent price revision of fuel it is obvious that the government is trying to maximize revenue from 95 petrol and super  diesel

Although there is a requirement on modern diesel vehicles for super diesel due to high Sulfur content on normal diesel that could potentially damage the vehicle majority of vehicles which are running on 95 are happy to run on 92.

Euros or Euro spec imports may need 95 however most of the JDMs are designed to run on 92 and above.

Price

Kmpl

Km per month

Fuel Cost

Saving

Annual Saving

On 8/20/2018 at 4:46 AM, Madushike said:

What is the suitable Octane for Japanese 660cc Cars Like Wagon R, Spacia, Hustler, Pixis?? Octane 92 or 95???

My suggestion is to download the Japanese User Manual of your car. Then, use google translator to find what you need. As an example, for Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross, even for the JDM version the recommendation is to use Regular Fuel. So, even for a such a Turbo engine, the ECU is tuned for a low octane fuel. Moreover, given the price difference between 92 and 95 I really concerned about possible frauds by fuel shed owners and transporters (you know this is Sri Lanka :))

image.png.a95d7200c5b00701f9b277dd28e6c684.png

When I had my previous car I pumped 92 throughout, but one day pumped 95 to see if there is any difference. I experienced no increase in performance or smoothness. But tank was emptied much faster. It was really noticable.

In the new car the previous owner had pumped 95 throughout. I also pump 95. Most owners claim that Allions and Premios do around 9.5–10.5kmpl around this area according to the indicator, but I’m averaging 12.8kmpl.Might be due to my driving pattern or the minor modifications in the engine.

5 hours ago, alpha17 said:

When I had my previous car I pumped 92 throughout, but one day pumped 95 to see if there is any difference. I experienced no increase in performance or smoothness. But tank was emptied much faster. It was really noticable.

In the new car the previous owner had pumped 95 throughout. I also pump 95. Most owners claim that Allions and Premios do around 9.5–10.5kmpl around this area according to the indicator, but I’m averaging 12.8kmpl.Might be due to my driving pattern or the minor modifications in the engine.

Not noticed any significant performance or economy benefit in

Corolla 141, Lancer EX, Suzuki Swift 2008, CRV 2.0L, Honda Fit GP5, Kia Picanto 2017, Wagon R FZ 2018

6 hours ago, alpha17 said:

Previous owner of my car pumped 95 as well. But with 10.5:1 compression ratio and ever increasing price gap between 92 and 95 I started pumping 92. Plus the manual says to pump regular gasoline anyway. No difference in economy and with performance almost same (I did noticed a slight decrease at times though) I also feel fuel tend to remain in the tank than before. You are having a 2013 with 11:1 compression ratio so it could slightly differ in your case.

Using fuels higher in Octane than the recommended sometimes lead to high carbon deposits in the engines which will harm the same. So we must not evaluate the relative performances as we feel.

Most vise decision is to proceed with the manufacturers recommendation.

Basically low compression ratio engines can run on 92 RON without problems.

It is seen that nowadays some of the current JDM petrol cars with higher compression ratios (ex. Mazda SKYACTIV 2G , 14:1 ) can run on 92 , due to relative  designs of exhaust manifolds.

So we have many myths about these. In summary  these are related to reductions of pinging or detonation and design variations time to time.

Price gap between the two has become ridicules over 23% price difference will be way above any reduction in kmpl if at all.

Unless there could be potential damage that could be caused due to low octane fuel

50 minutes ago, Hyaenidae said:

@kush was this the 1500CC variant (4A91) or the 1600CC (4A92) one? 

1500cc 4A91

Company recommended 95, according to the book it will run with 92 with slight power / economy drop

There was a shortage in 95 and i had no option but to pump 92 (or 91 at the time) did not notice any power or economy drop and as 95 was not available commonly as now decided to stick to 92.

Had no issues with knocking, throttle body carbon which was common for this model 

14 hours ago, matroska said:

Spare a thought for us folk with engines that require 95 Oct or above  ? ... 

CH-R needs RON 95 or above as per the euro pean user manual. 

image.png.42b302833c84eabac0e89c065c668df6.png

Edited by vitz

Specs on the same vehicle for different markets will differ, this is for Kia Picanto Owners Manual

Gasoline engine
Unleaded
For Europe
For the optimal vehicle performance, we
recommend you use unleaded gasoline
which has an octane rating of RON
(Research Octane Number) 95 / AKI
(Anti Knock Index) 91 or higher. (Do not
use methanol blended fuels)
You may use unleaded gasoline with an
octane rating of RON 91~94 / AKI 87~90
but it may result in slight performance