• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

What's the right name in SL terms for Pickup/ Off-Road, 2 wheel pickup?? etc....

chamath1

Hi everyone, I'm going to ask a very confusing topic of what's the actual name of what's what. Let me break it down below. It's so confusing to do a vehicle search on what exactly we're looking for. Correct me if I'm wrong I think we all Sri Lankans have confused names on what is what.  Sure we call generally call them  cabs but what's the proper names for the types below?

1. What do you call the tall version of a cab which has 4X4?  e.g.- LN 106

2. What do you call the tall version a cab which has 4X2? 

3, What do you call the short version of cabs which has 4X2 e.g. LN145

4. What do you call the short 2 door long body version of cabs?

Edited by chamath1

1. What do you call the tall version of a cab which has 4X4?  e.g.- LN 106 - DOUBLE CAB

2. What do you call the tall version a cab which has 4X2? - DOUBLE CAB

3, What do you call the short version of cabs which has 4X2 e.g. LN145 - DOUBLE CAB

4. What do you call the short 2 door long body version of cabs? - SINGLE CAB

• Like 1

I found this site that has info about different cab configurations and bed configurations. I would say this is just for information since here in SL we don't have that many configurations on bed sizes, I guess we only have few options with cab configurations. 

https://www.carid.com/articles/pickup-truck-cab-bed-sizes-are-important-to-know-when-selecting-accessories.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kmeeg said:

I found this site that has info about different cab configurations and bed configurations. I would say this is just for information since here in SL we don't have that many configurations on bed sizes, I guess we only have few options with cab configurations. 

https://www.carid.com/articles/pickup-truck-cab-bed-sizes-are-important-to-know-when-selecting-accessories.html

Thanks for your reply kmeeg your link helps to pickup somewhat idea, Crosswind your reply helps too but then again I'm confused to see some people having their double sized 4X2 for sale as single cabs and single cabs sometimes sold as wagons which is really confusing.

Basically I was looking to search for a 4 door single cab ideally with a carryboy or a lightweight canopy but ended up with no results. I've been doing this search for years and I always get the wrong results.

Few weeks back I asked a from Scotty Kilmer the same question and he ended up saying 4X2s are generally known as "Pickups", 2 Door pickups are sometimes called "Pickup Truck" and 4X4s are called "Off Roaders". It seems here we use an entirely different way.

7 hours ago, chamath1 said:

Thanks for your reply kmeeg your link helps to pickup somewhat idea, Crosswind your reply helps too but then again I'm confused to see some people having their double sized 4X2 for sale as single cabs and single cabs sometimes sold as wagons which is really confusing.

Basically I was looking to search for a 4 door single cab ideally with a carryboy or a lightweight canopy but ended up with no results. I've been doing this search for years and I always get the wrong results.

Few weeks back I asked a from Scotty Kilmer the same question and he ended up saying 4X2s are generally known as "Pickups", 2 Door pickups are sometimes called "Pickup Truck" and 4X4s are called "Off Roaders". It seems here we use an entirely different way.

Until someone who has lot of experience with trucks reply here is what I understood.

Pickup vs Pickup trucks –

I guess what Scotty is saying there is (since he is in US) many in US are pickup trucks, which has a truck frame under the body. Which are called as body on frame. In US market pickups like a ‘Honda Rigdeline’ does not have a frame under the body (Unibody vehicles), which people don’t like to call as a truck / pickup truck. So probably he called it as just a pickup.

4x2 / 4x4 / AWD –

In simple terms, 4x2 will send power only to back wheels. AWD systems most run on front wheel and on certain conditions like tire slip / hard acceleration and turning will send power to back wheels. (Some AWD systems will do opposite like in BMW where normally run on rear wheels and when certain conditions like a tire slip will also power frond wheels)

In 4x4 systems you will have a rotating dial / a switch / a lever where you can select to send power only to 2 wheels or power all 4 wheels. Generally in 4x4 systems you get different options where you can use on a rough terrain so people like to take 4x4 vehicles offroad.

Cab configurations –

As far as I’ve seen there are 2 door ones that only has front row seats. Then there is 2 ½ doors where to open the second door you have to open the front door. These will have a small back seat and generally used as storage space. Then there is another type of 2 ½ door ones still have a small back row but still good enough for a kid. Then there is 4 door ones where you get ample space in back seats (most people call them as double cab).

Additional info –

Even though we don’t use these terms much there are other countries who use terms like; mid size, full size trucks, ½  ton trucks, ¾ ton trucks, 1 ton trucks, HD trucks, etc.. So many terms for trucks for size of the truck, payload etc... I don’t think you don’t have to worry about those.

Canopy, bed liners, railing systems –

These are another long discussion and again it depends what you like and how you what to use your truck bed. If you occasionally want to carry few bags of cement you don’t have to spend lot of money for bed liner spray. But if you carry things like garden tiles without cardboard cover to prevent your truck bed damage better to have a bed liner paint protection. Same with canopy / bed covers. Hard ones or soft ones or whether you want to make it weather sealed so you won’t get water when its raining. (Someone please correct me if I’m wrong, I guess nowadays manufactures don’t give factory ones, they all aftermarket ones.)

So in summary I do agree people call this configuration in different terms and sadly you would have to check the pictures and go and see the pickup to decide what you need.

16 hours ago, kmeeg said:

So in summary I do agree people call this configuration in different terms and sadly you would have to check the pictures and go and see the pickup to decide what you need.

That's the sad fact. It's so hard to do a vehicle search because of the improper naming.

16 hours ago, chamath1 said:

That's the sad fact. It's so hard to do a vehicle search because of the improper naming.

I'm sorry I really don't understand the confusion here, isn't this the case with most vehicles? Take a van for example, you have short wheelbase, long wheelbase, delivery, passenger, panel, 4WD, rear wheel drive, and the list goes on. Cars have an even more complicated set of variants. You just need to know what you're searching for. Not all of them have specific names. 

As for pickups, there are no names for each of the variant's you've listed IMO. Names are highly region specific. Scotty might call it a Pickup truck, Someone in the UK will call it a pickup, Someone in Australia will call it a Ute (short for Utility). 

On 8/18/2018 at 6:40 PM, chamath1 said:

4 door single cab? A "cab" basically refers to a row of seats. So you're not going to find a single cab with 4 doors. If you want a 4 door pickup, then you're looking for a double cab. So it's no surprise you ended up with no results.

1 row of seats and 2 regular front-hinged doors: Single Cab

2 rows of seats and 2 regular front-hinged doors + a smaller rear-hinged door: Extra Cab (Toyota Calls it Smart Cab)

2 rows of seats and 4 doors: Double Cab

Depending on the make and model, each of these configurations may have short wheelbase, long wheelbase, long bed, short bed, 4WD or rear wheel drive. You just need to know which specific pickup you're looking for. 

5 hours ago, Davy said:

I'm sorry I really don't understand the confusion here, isn't this the case with most vehicles? Take a van for example, you have short wheelbase, long wheelbase, delivery, passenger, panel, 4WD, rear wheel drive, and the list goes on. Cars have an even more complicated set of variants. You just need to know what you're searching for. Not all of them have specific names. 

As for pickups, there are no names for each of the variant's you've listed IMO. Names are highly region specific. Scotty might call it a Pickup truck, Someone in the UK will call it a pickup, Someone in Australia will call it a Ute (short for Utility). 

4 door single cab? A "cab" basically refers to a row of seats. So you're not going to find a single cab with 4 doors. If you want a 4 door pickup, then you're looking for a double cab. So it's no surprise you ended up with no results.

1 row of seats and 2 regular front-hinged doors: Single Cab

2 rows of seats and 2 regular front-hinged doors + a smaller rear-hinged door: Extra Cab (Toyota Calls it Smart Cab)

2 rows of seats and 4 doors: Double Cab

Depending on the make and model, each of these configurations may have short wheelbase, long wheelbase, long bed, short bed, 4WD or rear wheel drive. You just need to know which specific pickup you're looking for. 

Succinct. It you wanna confuse yourself, mine is actually a short wheelbase pickup. But gets called "jeep" :D

C360_2015-04-17-15-45-09-272.jpg

13 hours ago, Pericles said:

mine is actually a short wheelbase pickup. But gets called "jeep" :D

Nice drive Peri. Thank for sharing that pic. I never thought its called a pickup, I thought thats in SUV category. Is Hilux surf is also same case? Where Hilux been a pickup and Hilux surf looks like a suv?

16 hours ago, Pericles said:

Succinct. It you wanna confuse yourself, mine is actually a short wheelbase pickup. But gets called "jeep" :D

Haha, yeah that's Sri Lankan terminology for you.

By the way, you still have this? Wow, how many years has it been?

12 hours ago, kmeeg said:

Nice drive Peri. Thank for sharing that pic. I never thought its called a pickup, I thought thats in SUV category. Is Hilux surf is also same case? Where Hilux been a pickup and Hilux surf looks like a suv?

10 hours ago, john cooper said:

i don't this the MU classified under the UTE category, it's more of a truck i would say.

Nice truck mate!

Guess pickup and truck in interchangable. That rear canopy can be taken off, hence the pickup tag. Never tried it myself.. But the internet to the rescue

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2458150/1998-isuzu-amigo/

http://www.loaded4x4.com.au/11396/its-an-amigo-jeff-and-fionas-gecko-green-isuzu-amigo-is-loaded/

https://carfromjapan.com/specifications/isuzu/mu/581975b52afaa2c4b28786c5

12 hours ago, kmeeg said:

About the hilux, I don't think so, the back of the surf isn't designed to be taken off. The Surf is more like the Montero Sport.