• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota Caldina vs Elephant Back vs Nissan Avenir (Diesel)

chamath1

Question

Hi ppl, I'm looking to buy a reliable station wagon which should have a low running cost for both my entrepreneur business and for daily traveling to the office. My budget at maximum of around 2.2mil which of the above would be the best choice? Is Toyota Caldina Diesel reliable as good old Corolla Elephant Backs? Back in the years I've seen my Physics teacher carrying piles of Tutorials on his trunk running up and down the country throughout the whole week without a breakdown that's why I'm thinking of Caldina.

15 answers to this question

If you don't mind the looks go for the Caldina got acres of space good loading capacity 

Suggest the non turbo although slow will be more reliable considering the age and plenty around

Had one for 18 years, over 250k km without any major repair

Real work horse was very handy when i was constructing my house.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, kush said:

If you don't mind the looks go for the Caldina got acres of space good loading capacity 

Suggest the non turbo although slow will be more reliable considering the age and plenty around

Thanks for the reply Kush. I never knew that there was a TD version. BTW how was the fuel economy? Plus on what kind of terrian/ geography did you mostly travel?

Finally how was the parts availability?

Edited by chamath1

Parts were no issue most of them were shared with the Corolla (Elephant back as they say)

Traveled all over the country, acceleration is not that great due to low power an 3 speed auto

Economy was around 10kmpl city and 16-18 kmpl outstation, however city traffic was not this bad and outstation roads were not so great

so figures may be different now.

Did not do any major repairs during my tenor only shocks and one CV joint

• Like 1

On 8/18/2018 at 3:50 AM, chamath1 said:

How about Mitsubishi Libero? Looks decent but is it any better?

Better car and features i would say

Considering the age i would stay away as sourcing spare parts could be a issue

I forgot to mention one last vehicle. How about G touring and L touring? is Caldina far better than G touring? The reason why I'm asking is that the interior plastics on CE 106s are far durable looking to Caldina and every time I look at elephant backs they seem to be less damaged at the same age compared to Caldina's.

But overall, is Caldina better?  When I checked Curb Weight

G-Touring 1190Kg

Caldina 1410Kg

Theoretically  does this means G touring can handle more weight and has better fuel efficiency? Which is more spacious? looking at other threads G touring has more space than L Touring. But is Caldina more spacious which is heavier?

Edited by chamath1

10 hours ago, tilvin said:

Think about Peugeot 407 SW and Nissan Wingroad Y12.....?

Would they even fit into my budget?  (407) Not the most economical running workhorses aren't they? I'd rather go for a Volvo wagon.   ANyhow back to Gtouring vs Caldina which is better?

On 8/24/2018 at 12:35 PM, JayZ said:

Wingroad Y11 diesel was a solid car with CD20 engine. Used it for more than 5 years. Didn't had any major issues apart from usual servicing. 

As I am aware Wingroad Y11 never came up with diesel engine....? I think what you are mentioning here is Wingroad Y10.

On 8/16/2018 at 8:39 AM, kush said:

Kush, did your Caldina have the RPM meter (Tachometer) on the dashboard? It seems most ones available for sale lacks it. This is probably the most early models.

Edited by maxj