• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

BMW E30 enthusiasts?

MrCat

47 minutes ago, fiat fan said:

Also that engine bay looks like a nightmare to even look at. Imagine working on it.

* Screaming  “its an endless money pit” in Scotty Kilmer (hate that guy) voice *

Work of what all you can do is wipe it clan with a wet cloth.

• Sad 1

56 minutes ago, fiat fan said:

Also that engine bay looks like a nightmare to even look at. Imagine working on it.

* Screaming  “its an endless money pit” in Scotty Kilmer (hate that guy) voice *

Yeah, planned obsolescence in practice eh.. :D:D  Some of these (i think this one too) have cylinder bore walls which are sprayed on with molten steel!!  you aint` rebuilding that block easily :D 

Oh, Scotty is a happy chappy as long as Lexus is around... :D  And Toyota's... 

Edited by MrCat

8 hours ago, MrCat said:

Yeah, planned obsolescence in practice eh.. :D:D  Some of these (i think this one too) have cylinder bore walls which are sprayed on with molten steel!!  you aint` rebuilding that block easily :D 

Oh, Scotty is a happy chappy as long as Lexus is around... :D  And Toyota's... 

Feel sad really. But I guess this is what people want.

Scotty is an idiot just shouting and bashing things to get more views and money.

1 hour ago, Hyaenidae said:

Come on, don't be like that. Didn't you enjoy TopGear back in its glory days? Episodes with shouting and bashing things were the most entertaining ones

I did. But they liked all makes. They just bashed a certain car at times. Also remember top gear is scripted. They do it for entertainment depending on the episode.

This guy kilmer just blabs dumb ideas and hate towards euros ALL the time. Typical old hill billy bush mechanic who never updated his skills.

16 hours ago, fiat fan said:

21 hours ago, MrCat said:

198820203_m2competition3.thumb.jpg.4d9bb53f41bd3f824605b0aed3872c0a.jpg

Really? Maybe its my relative inexperience with such matters but that engine bay looks amazing! I love how it looks- Its the best looking engine bay I've seen really, and that carbon fibre brace is just something else....?

Now here`s that engine in action. 

Idle and revving in 'M2 - Sport Plus' mode : 

Up and down through the gears... i wasn't game enough to even try side-ways in a car I`m no familiar with..  :D  

Edited by MrCat
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

I hope some of you guys would continue updating this thread with E30 and/or general BMW related content... 

I am out of the E30 game for now, sold my Yeee30 today... Just one week in the market, got near the asking price, not much dramas there.. 

Some pics from my sale ad below... 

20201121_103724.jpg

20201121_103636.jpg

20201121_103653.jpg

20201121_103514.jpg

20201121_103608.jpg

20201121_103557.jpg

20201121_103741.jpg

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, MrCat said:

I hope some of you guys would continue updating this thread with E30 and/or general BMW related content... 

I am out of the E30 game for now, sold my Yeee30 today... Just one week in the market, got near the asking price, not much dramas there.. 

Some pics from my sale ad below... 

20201121_103724.jpg

20201121_103636.jpg

20201121_103653.jpg

20201121_103514.jpg

20201121_103608.jpg

20201121_103557.jpg

20201121_103741.jpg

That makes me sad. Whats next? 

wbt a nice supra?

6 hours ago, Kavvz said:

You sold? No way? What to this guy.... 

Ha ha.. same colour eh..? What Hoovie`s got here is a little AWD monster BMW made to handle the ruff stuff machan.. The 325ix...

Apparently only 3 right hand drive ix`s down here in Aus... rare as hen`s teeth and many times the price of a normal 325i.. 

18 minutes ago, fiat fan said:

That makes me sad. Whats next? 

wbt a nice supra?

That makes two of us machan.. but life`s gotta move on... :( 

1/2jz`s are bloody awesome but I must experience a big fat V8 before electric cars take over and ICE gets banned for good (legislation and emission standards are getting difficult by the day...)  It will happen sometime next year (hint:  crowd killer...  😆 )

24 minutes ago, MrCat said:

Apparently only 3 right hand drive ix`s down here in Aus... rare as hen`s teeth and many times the price of a normal 325i.. 

Wow! No kidding?! They seem pretty cheap in the sweet ole US of A though by the way he's going on...

Anyways: All the best with the new 'V8' purchase. Good forward to hearing more as the purchase pans out...

12 minutes ago, Kavvz said:

Wow! No kidding?! They seem pretty cheap in the sweet ole US of A though by the way he's going on...

Anyways: All the best with the new 'V8' purchase. Good forward to hearing more as the purchase pans out...

Thanks man! 

Yeah, they are cheap in the U.S because 'most' are used in bad weather areas are are rusted out etc... There was a time when E30`s in general were used as cheap runabout`s and winter cars whilst the shiny new car sat in the garage :D  Some people still dont get why the 300 dollar basher car they had many years ago is 15k now.. Lol! :D  

19 hours ago, MrCat said:

That makes two of us machan.. but life`s gotta move on... :( 

1/2jz`s are bloody awesome but I must experience a big fat V8 before electric cars take over and ICE gets banned for good (legislation and emission standards are getting difficult by the day...)  It will happen sometime next year (hint:  crowd killer...  😆 )

Watching some serial killer movies I see! 😅

tbh the v8 mustang is a good way to experience them v8’s. But the challenger is much better. A real boat with a v8!

4 hours ago, fiat fan said:

Watching some serial killer movies I see! 😅

tbh the v8 mustang is a good way to experience them v8’s. But the challenger is much better. A real boat with a v8!

Lol.!  you got the hint right!

Challenger is more 'muscle' for sure, design wise, I like the Camaro better. Rented one whilst in the US and loved it since.
The thing can actually go around corners extremely well. The inexpensive simplicity of everything compared to European equivalents is just awesome for a daily grind.  Could thrash them all day without much guilt or braking the bank.. :D 

Unfortunately no Challenger/Charger/Camaro is sold here new as a base RHD car :(  Camaro ZL1 is available, but the price is just absurd...

E30 still looks fab, sad that it had to go! I understand the sentiment though, in the middle of moving some things around myself!

Can't wait to see what the V8 looks like, just be VERY careful leaving cars & coffee! 😅

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...

The E30 has always been on my list of "interesting" cars. Was very seriously looking for one about 15 years ago but for whatever reason it didn't happen. I kinda forgot about it until last year, when a combination of circumstances meant that the Miata had to be moved on and replaced with, of all things, an SUV. So I was looking for something fun that wouldn't break the bank and after considering various options, wound up with a 1990 E30 316i.

It's a fairly solid car that needed some detail improvements, but I was a bit shocked to find how expensive E30s have become, and more to the point, how expensive their parts have become. Also noticed that there seem to not be many good 30s around anymore, most out there seem to have been ridden more times than Maradana hookers, and show the signs of it. So I feel that my car was a pretty ok buy, although I probably overpaid. 

Will try and post some updates on it, by and by. 

• 1 year later...
On 8/13/2018 at 8:05 AM, MrCat said:

I like most of the pre-year-2000 BMW`s and I especially like the E30 series. I own a 1991 318is (2 door with M42 motor) although not in Sri Lanka.

Are there any E30 nuts here? Either series 1 (1983 - 1987) or series 2 (1987 - 1994)?

There is a FB group called ‘BMW E30 circle Sri Lanka’ but I don’t find the group very active.

I thought I saw an E30 running at the Katukurunda drags yesterday, but the video wasn’t very clear so couldn’t see much details. Anyone know about E30`s with engine upgrades over there (i.e. M50 engine swaps)?  

I have an E30, series 2.

• 1 month later...
On 7/29/2023 at 10:20 AM, Manoj Yasakumara said:

I have an E30, series 2.

Great to hear Manoj!!

Haven't logged in to AL for a long time, saw this reply just now.  Any photos and details about your car? 

On 2/24/2022 at 4:26 PM, Supra_Natural said:

The E30 has always been on my list of "interesting" cars. Was very seriously looking for one about 15 years ago but for whatever reason it didn't happen. I kinda forgot about it until last year, when a combination of circumstances meant that the Miata had to be moved on and replaced with, of all things, an SUV. So I was looking for something fun that wouldn't break the bank and after considering various options, wound up with a 1990 E30 316i.

It's a fairly solid car that needed some detail improvements, but I was a bit shocked to find how expensive E30s have become, and more to the point, how expensive their parts have become. Also noticed that there seem to not be many good 30s around anymore, most out there seem to have been ridden more times than Maradana hookers, and show the signs of it. So I feel that my car was a pretty ok buy, although I probably overpaid. 

Will try and post some updates on it, by and by. 

Wow!  This is news. Been away from AL for a loong looong time.. 

I think I've mentioned a few times here as well, E30 parts are getting quite difficult to find and prices are absolutely crazy all over the world.  One of the main reasons why I sold my E30 is that it was no longer a cheap to run, fun old RWD car!  E46`s for example, are much cheaper to  run and maintain (in general) these days (as a fun-to-drive RWD car)..