• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

BMW E30 enthusiasts?

MrCat

I like most of the pre-year-2000 BMW`s and I especially like the E30 series. I own a 1991 318is (2 door with M42 motor) although not in Sri Lanka.

Are there any E30 nuts here? Either series 1 (1983 - 1987) or series 2 (1987 - 1994)?

There is a FB group called ‘BMW E30 circle Sri Lanka’ but I don’t find the group very active.

I thought I saw an E30 running at the Katukurunda drags yesterday, but the video wasn’t very clear so couldn’t see much details. Anyone know about E30`s with engine upgrades over there (i.e. M50 engine swaps)?  

• Like 1

Sold the Lancer CH wagon? :) 

Huge fan of the E30 M3 right here by the way. Was looking for one (in VIC, Australia) in early 2016 or so, but gave up because I couldn't stretch my budget that far.

I distinctly remember a red E30 in Sri Lanka with the plate 18 SRI 318 and that car was a regular sight on my commute to work. That was a 4 door though.

Oh.!  Some one rear-ended the Lancer and it got written off unfortunately. :( But the person who bought the wreck from me fixed it and got it re-registered, so the car probably is still roaming around. I need a wagon in my life (not a fan of SUVs) so got a Mazda 6 wagon as a replacement  :)

Man, E30 M3 prices have gone mental all over the world.! If you want to go ‘M’ the E46 M3 is probably the best bang for buck at the moment. The CIO of where I work has got an E30 M3 as a track toy, costed him $15k to get the S14 properly rebuilt.! S14 parts are not cheap and complete engines are worth a fortune.  Even 325is`s are between 20k – 30k these days.

I personally have never seen an 18 sri E30, probably one of the very last to get registered in SL. Wonder whether there are any 2 doors in the country.

there were two e30's in the races, black one has an m30 swapped, the white one has a standard m40, there are two more e30's one with an m42(e36 motor with disa) and a another with an m44 swapped, and there's one coupe and one vert(pre-facelift) in SL, BMW scene is really at the early stages because of support, we'll if anyone one like could join the small race community, we just race for fun, thats why its still in the true street category

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Janith Seneviratne said:

there were two e30's in the races, black one has an m30 swapped, the white one has a standard m40, there are two more e30's one with an m42(e36 motor with disa) and a another with an m44 swapped, and there's one coupe and one vert(pre-facelift) in SL, BMW scene is really at the early stages because of support, we'll if anyone one like could join the small race community, we just race for fun, thats why its still in the true street category

Great to hear that there`s an M30 swapped E30 over there! I`d imagine traction would have been an issue for drags unless it was running fat sticky tires.

Can understand the lack of support, I`d also believe that the E36 is a better platform to play around with over there since there are more cars around and parts are also plentiful and relatively inexpensive compared to the E30 (in the international market).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MrCat said:

Great to hear that there`s an M30 swapped E30 over there! I`d imagine traction would have been an issue for drags unless it was running fat sticky tires.

Can understand the lack of support, I`d also believe that the E36 is a better platform to play around with over there since there are more cars around and parts are also plentiful and relatively inexpensive compared to the E30 (in the international market).

M30 is running good with traction with the use of semi-slicks(full race slicks are not allowed as its a true street category) and running full standalone, there's a few interesting in the line up 2 e36 328i's and an e36 m50 3.0l stroker, in here everything is expensive 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MrCat said:

I personally have never seen an 18 sri E30, probably one of the very last to get registered in SL. Wonder whether there are any 2 doors in the country.

There was on E21 320 2dr owned by one of my fathers friend wonder what happened to the car

6 hours ago, MrCat said:

Oh.!  Some one rear-ended the Lancer and it got written off unfortunately. :( But the person who bought the wreck from me fixed it and got it re-registered, so the car probably is still roaming around. I need a wagon in my life (not a fan of SUVs) so got a Mazda 6 wagon as a replacement  :)

Man, E30 M3 prices have gone mental all over the world.! If you want to go ‘M’ the E46 M3 is probably the best bang for buck at the moment. The CIO of where I work has got an E30 M3 as a track toy, costed him $15k to get the S14 properly rebuilt.! S14 parts are not cheap and complete engines are worth a fortune.  Even 325is`s are between 20k – 30k these days.

Sorry to hear about the Lancer. 

Yeah I was looking into a car that I could put some work into and restore and the cheapest ones I found were in the 50K - 60K range. 

I think @Crosswind had an E30 that he was restoring a few years back. What happened to the project Crosswind? 

16 hours ago, kush said:

Wow this is the exact car i was referring to glad someone has really looked after it, remember being fascinated by the as a school boy kid.

Yeah, this car was going the rounds in the inter-webs sometime back.  Thought it was for sale as well at some point, but not exactly sure. Beautifully done indeed. The E21 was the forgotten 3 series which is was not getting much attention, but good examples seems to be getting sought after now.

On 8/13/2018 at 8:05 AM, MrCat said:

I like most of the pre-year-2000 BMW`s and I especially like the E30 series. I own a 1991 318is (2 door with M42 motor) although not in Sri Lanka.

Are there any E30 nuts here? Either series 1 (1983 - 1987) or series 2 (1987 - 1994)?

There is a FB group called ‘BMW E30 circle Sri Lanka’ but I don’t find the group very active.

I thought I saw an E30 running at the Katukurunda drags yesterday, but the video wasn’t very clear so couldn’t see much details. Anyone know about E30`s with engine upgrades over there (i.e. M50 engine swaps)?  

Hey man I was running that E30

1989 E30 that I had for the last 8 years

BMW M30B35 swap - 3.5 liter straight six with Haltech management and a custom tune, coupled with the original 5 speed Getrag manual, LSD, fully rebuilt chassis and body from ground up, and most importantly, launch control :D!

20180812_171522.thumb.jpg.ed21f30fceadde6cef448eb08df2955c.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, tharindra said:

Hey man I was running that E30

1989 E30 that I had for the last 8 years

BMW M30B35 swap - 3.5 liter straight six with Haltech management and a custom tune, coupled with the original 5 speed Getrag manual, LSD, fully rebuilt chassis and body from ground up, and most importantly, launch control :D!

Hey.! Great to hear from a fellow Yeee30 enthusiast.!

I hear the M30 is a pretty straight forward swap, the South African 333i had the M30 (3.3L) from factory. Never had a chance to drive a swapped car but, so don’t know how they are like to drive.

I hear you can’t run either Power Steering or AirCon but not both due to the M30s being too long, is that true? Does the LSD make a noticeable difference in putting the power down? I suppose it does with a high toque engine, I have a spare medium case diff to be rebuilt with an LSD but with my little M42 it`s probably overkill.

3 hours ago, MrCat said:

Hey.! Great to hear from a fellow Yeee30 enthusiast.!

I hear the M30 is a pretty straight forward swap, the South African 333i had the M30 (3.3L) from factory. Never had a chance to drive a swapped car but, so don’t know how they are like to drive.

I hear you can’t run either Power Steering or AirCon but not both due to the M30s being too long, is that true? Does the LSD make a noticeable difference in putting the power down? I suppose it does with a high toque engine, I have a spare medium case diff to be rebuilt with an LSD but with my little M42 it`s probably overkill.

It's relatively straightforward as it's a tried and tested/documented swap done by many BMW tuners [checkout the Hartge H35, Alpina B35] but there's a lot of components involved and some minor fabrication/customization, also depends on how easily you can access the parts. 

I run with Power steering and AC compressor, there is no space issue. The LSD definitely helps, there is definitely a difference around corners, you can put down the power much better, I'm sure even with a M42 you will feel the difference. 

Edited by tharindra

12 hours ago, tharindra said:

It's relatively straightforward as it's a tried and tested/documented swap done by many BMW tuners [checkout the Hartge H35, Alpina B35] but there's a lot of components involved and some minor fabrication/customization, also depends on how easily you can access the parts. 

I run with Power steering and AC compressor, there is no space issue. The LSD definitely helps, there is definitely a difference around corners, you can put down the power much better, I'm sure even with a M42 you will feel the difference. 

Nice.! Looks like I`ll have to get the spare diff rebuilt with an LSD centre eventually. Recently went from 14 inch wheels to 16 inch (205/50 R16) which made a big difference in grip levels, the car doesn't` fishtail like mad in the wet anymore. But the bigger tires does seem to make the rear end a bit snappy, so when it does let go its instant.! 

• 4 months later...

Hello All,

It’s a slow day at work, thought I’ll post a few pics of my own car to keep the E30 spirit going..

The day we bought her home a bit over 2 years ago….. Bone stock, no upgrades no modifications.. About 95% of things working as it should, few leaks here and there, lumpy idle, paint job looks better in pics. Actually, it had a couple of upgrades: A tuned chip to run on 98 octane with the rev limiter increased to 7500 – which was great. Then a cone filter instead of the brilliantly designed factory air-box – a useless addition.

20161030_185233.thumb.jpg.fd2b541ea67448a73c77847de5162e7a.jpg

20161030_185351.thumb.jpg.96606c857850ce3b15fccdf8e53b2ada.jpg

These are more recent. Only the Racing Dynamic wheels are visibly different, but many.. many.. bits are either replaced or improved by now…

20180513_110604.thumb.jpg.ef8757baaf43830836eb330dbb5568c3.jpg

20180603_124738.thumb.jpg.ebd425822b9eb3e63b17d15e1d4e9ed7.jpg

20180603_124653.thumb.jpg.57162501831c511e0a6a7011a99ad55a.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thought of noting down some of the upgrades I’ve done to the car. I know the E30 is not popular as a tuner car or a modern classic in SL, but hey, this may help someone someday. I had a forum thread which I religiously updated on a different site, but the whole site disappeared with all my build/fix history L

One of my favourite upgrades and one of the absolute must do`s of anyone who is after a more enjoyable drive out of an E30 – replace the factory power steering rack.! The standard spec rack is 4 turns lock-to-lock which just too slow and mundane.

I`ve replaced with a unit from a BMW Z3, which is ‘THE’ quickest steering rack (linear ratio, not progressive) which would bolt in to the E30 chassis without modifications. Rack-ends, hoses, reservoir - all these got replaced which completely transformed the drive. 

Cleaned and painted the rack before fitting, some before and after pics:

Z3_rack_2.jpg.2f5d9ab12c0a47fcaa90f9b7b4cf5953.jpg

After:

Z3_rack_3.jpg.4a4fee65ffc86cbc8638603ac75d21be.jpg

Edit :  Found some pics of more goodies that went in :

Holden Barina steering linkage modified to fit the longer neck of the BMW Z3 rack (god knows who found this mod first, but works like a charm for a factory finish :D:

steering_link.thumb.jpg.839e3d9fcc536e79ec247938daf4c60a.jpg

More power steering related bits and pieces that got installed:

power_steering_1.jpg.e7ae095593a3e4917b8982e679d3a8bf.jpg

Edited by MrCat
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Hyaenidae said:

Check archive.org to see if your former thread has been preserved there... you never know

Sent from my Nokia 1100 using AutoLanka.com mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Thanks for the tip.. having a look around..  ?

Edit:  Found one archive.. Yay..!!!!   https://web.archive.org/web/20170226122911/http://www.bmwforums.com.au/showthread.php/45957-1990-E30-318is-a-k-a-Little-Red/page3

And another copy taken later on : https://web.archive.org/web/20170419150430/http://www.bmwforums.com.au/showthread.php/45957-1990-E30-318is-a-k-a-Little-Red/page4

Anyone know an easier way to port or move the above thread(s) to AL..? 

Edited by MrCat

Ok, so looks like there is no easy way to port content from a different forum archive in to AL, so i am going to manually copy-paste useful content from the old forum archive. 

The odometer wast working when I bought the car, so I got the instrument cluster professionally reconditioned with new gears, globes and a clean.

Also replaced the following items, mainly for cosmetic reasons:
· Fuse box cover (genuine BMW)
· Turn Signal Lenses - Front (genuine BMW)
· Replaced hood/bonnet strut (aftermarket)
· Interior light (used item)

Replaced all the auxiliary belts:

• Air Conditioner: 13x890mm : BOSCH 13A0890
• Power steering: 10x800mm : BOSCH 10A0800
• Alt+Water pump: 10x1025mm : 10A1025

New belts in place:

belts_1_zpsr5keeohy.jpg

Removed, cleaned and trim restored the front lip. Refitted with new (genuine BMW) clips:

front_lip_1_zpsgzynmeax.jpg

Also, the air conditioner was never working effectively during the warmer summer days here in Perth. The system was already converted to R134a refrigerant.

38.9 degrees outside:

AC_1_zps2fxkxbgo.jpg

The car could only manage to bring vent temps down to about 22 degrees:

AC_2_zpsdj801dxn.jpg

So the system got leak tested and re-gassed:

AC_4_zpsy1lwgojs.jpg

While working on it, the A/C technician identified that the high pressure sensor was triggering. Then realised that the auxiliary fan wasn’t running. The 10amp fuse was missing, so I replaced it, and the fuse burnt immediately. Since the high speed fan circuit is on a 30amp relay, we just used a 30 amp fuse. The aux fan is now working, but on high speed when A/C on.

Keeping the temps down to a respectable 5.6 degrees when the compressor is running:

AC_3_zpspfbhlxgr.jpg

I kept troubleshooting on the low speed fan circuit, only to realise that the resistor was missing. Someone bypassed it completely.

Replaced resistor with a Bosch item from BMW, all sorted (used an extra aluminium plate to better dissipate heat - my Father`s idea):

AC_resistor_zpso4g6w0wc.jpg

On 1/9/2019 at 5:44 PM, MrCat said:

Hello All,

It’s a slow day at work, thought I’ll post a few pics of my own car to keep the E30 spirit going..

The day we bought her home a bit over 2 years ago….. Bone stock, no upgrades no modifications.. About 95% of things working as it should, few leaks here and there, lumpy idle, paint job looks better in pics. Actually, it had a couple of upgrades: A tuned chip to run on 98 octane with the rev limiter increased to 7500 – which was great. Then a cone filter instead of the brilliantly designed factory air-box – a useless addition.

20161030_185233.thumb.jpg.fd2b541ea67448a73c77847de5162e7a.jpg

20161030_185351.thumb.jpg.96606c857850ce3b15fccdf8e53b2ada.jpg

These are more recent. Only the Racing Dynamic wheels are visibly different, but many.. many.. bits are either replaced or improved by now…

20180513_110604.thumb.jpg.ef8757baaf43830836eb330dbb5568c3.jpg

20180603_124738.thumb.jpg.ebd425822b9eb3e63b17d15e1d4e9ed7.jpg

20180603_124653.thumb.jpg.57162501831c511e0a6a7011a99ad55a.jpg

Nursing a Semi just looking at it!

E30`s are hella expensive.There is a M3 going for 89,000 USD (wtf).

Would love to have one in SL.

1 hour ago, fiat fan said:

Nursing a Semi just looking at it!

E30`s are hella expensive.There is a M3 going for 89,000 USD (wtf).

Would love to have one in SL.

Ha Ha.. :D

I think the E30 is in a very unique position which helps to drive prices up globally.  80`s/90`s mechanical simplicity, sedan practicality – yet compact, rear drive, ~1100kg weight - this combination IS quite rare.  Add independent rear suspension to the mix and I simply don’t know of any other mainstream car/model which is similar. The C class comes close, but that`s a heavier car in general.

Yeah, the E30 M3 is a different beast.. Racing pedigree, homologation production run, proper German over-engineering, etc... They dont` make em anymore, so the only way for the prices to go is 'up'..  

Edited by MrCat