• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Renushan

Question

Hi,

will it take high maintaining cost for Viva elite ABS models, when ABS going out of work, or  will it be low maintenance cost for non ABS models.

I needed to select a model which has low maintaining cost. some says ABS model are very expensive (Maintaining) 

Tks

24 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Renushan said:

Hi,

will it take high maintaining cost for Viva elite ABS models, when ABS going out of work, or  will it be low maintenance cost for non ABS models.

I needed to select a model which has low maintaining cost. some says ABS model are very expensive (Maintaining) 

Tks

In my opinion I don’t think ABS module on any car would fail that easy. I would say if you can afford a car with abs and airbags go for it. Think about your and your family safety first. Out of all the odds if abs module fails your brakes will still work.

Not sure if anyone in the Viva community is going for the service anytime soon and got some extra time to ask Randika at Unimo how much an ABS module cost. Then again I doubt they have the numbers because they won’t be ordering then unless a collision repair job if that module is damaged.

3 hours ago, Renushan said:

Hi,

Tks

The most expensive part of any ABS system is the ABS control module. (It's part computer and part hydraulic valve actuator system)
These components rarely give any trouble but when they do they cost a fortune to replace!
If you are that concerned on cost over safety just call the agent and get a quote for ABS control module of your vehicle model. You can get an idea of the cost IF they go bad by any chance.

Edited by Jason_Bourne

To clarify, cars with ABS don't have additional routine maintenance required. Most ABS components are not serviceable, so from an ongoing maintenance perspective, you won't be spending anything extra to maintain a car with ABS. 

Then we come to what happens if something in the ABS system fails. IMO it's pointless to be worried about having to replace something when it hasn't even happened yet. The Viva Elite doesn't have any known issues with the ABS system and as others have said, they're pretty reliable (has to be, as it's a safety critical system). So unless you're really unlucky, you wouldn't have to deal with ABS issues during the ownership period of the car. 

Finally, safety over cost ALWAYS. You might be able to buy an ABS module for about 15,000 - 20,000, but surely the lives of your loved ones is far more valuable than that. 

ABS has been offers in motorcars since 1978. it will be a greave dis advantage and a loss if you don't have it and silly if you're looking for a car without it 40 years of development later,.. ?

when it comes to maintenance, just change the br fluid every 2 years,..

wishing you safe and enjoyable motoring.

TT.

GO FOR THE ABS MODEL. In my experience of using a ABS equipped viva for the last decade ABS has saved  my life and vehicle on countless occasions . Do not compromise safety at any cost, ultimately you will regret it in an unfortunate event. Also ABS does not require any additional maintenance and the system is pretty reliable.    The only occasion where  ABS cost me extra was when replacing the rear wheel hubs. This particular part for the ABS equipped model comes with the inbuilt ABS sensor therefore, one hub unit was around Rs. 20000  whereas, for the  non-ABS variant you can only replace the hub racers at cost of 5000.

Hi,

I have previously owned a Viva Elite manual version which doesn't have ABS and now I use a Viva Elite Premium which has both ABS and Airbags and those features were the very reason for me to change from Viva elite Standard to Viva elite Premium. I had done my Google researches regarding the actual usefulness ABS and Airbags and I think it is in the best interest of us to focus on safety. Regarding the cost of ABS maintenance, I have not come across any problems with my one so far. However, the previous owner has replaced one of the ABS assembly parts and I saw a repair bill which has cost him less than 10,000 for the part from J*natha motors, Panchikawatta. 

Like everyone has mentioned, if you can afford the version with ABS don't think about repair costs it's like buying a car without airbags because you won't have to replace the dashboard if the airbags deploy in an accident. Airbags and ABS save lives those are not fancy features added for luxury. Further, I think there is a law coming up which will ban importing vehicles which are not equipped with ABS and Dual Air Bags so if you buy a car without those features it might even affect the resale value. My suggestion for you if you're buying a Viva Elite is, go for the Premium Version which has both Airbags and ABS.

Why would we need to comprise safety for an imaginary-repair-cost right? ?

I have seen only one difference between maintaining ABS variant and non ABS variants of Viva Elite at Unit#d Mot#rs.

For variant with ABS,  at every lubrication service, service people open and take out rear drum covers and clean rear brake system with Air.

No such cleaning on non-ABS variant. It does not cost you.

If you can afford go for EZI  model which consist of ABS & dual Air bags.

Edited by Sampath Gunasekera

Guys the ABS indicator of my 2013 manual elite doesn’t light up like the airbag indicator pre ignition.

Is there a way to check if it has ABS, I bought the car used and don’t have the user manual. It’s not a premium model.

Looking into the engine bay I was able to notice something that say SABS S05

2 hours ago, pantheraleo said:

Guys the ABS indicator of my 2013 manual elite doesn’t light up like the airbag indicator pre ignition.

Is there a way to check if it has ABS, I bought the car used and don’t have the user manual. It’s not a premium model.

My Viva Elite manual  did not have ABS or Airbags. As far as I know only the premiums come with ABS and Airbags.

If you really want to test I guess a simple way is to hard brake on a empty slippery road and notice that the tires keep skidding without any pulse. Please don't take risk and crash in to anything trying this test on a narrow road where there is traffic or any other obstacle.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pantheraleo said:

Open the bonnet and look for the ABS module/pump. Cars with ABS should have an ABS module. The best way to do this is to first locate your brake oil reservoir. There should be  two or three hard lines connected to the master pump (that's the metal unit underneath the brake oil reservoir). Trace those brake lines and if they are routed under the car, then your car doesn't have ABS. If they end up in a box-like unit with a lot of brake lines connected to it (this is  your ABS module), then your car has ABS. 

The ABS module should look like this:

Screenshot_20191031-085103__01.thumb.jpg.331ae7ff7d22a74204a4f94a073e3183.jpg

4 hours ago, pantheraleo said:

Did you see this in the fuse box? If yes, it's normal for to find provisions for optional components such as ABS, Fog lamps and even airbags because manufacturers typically use the same parts for the whole series and install the optional components based on the individual car. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, kmeeg said:

My Viva Elite manual  did not have ABS or Airbags. As far as I know only the premiums come with ABS and Airbags.

If you really want to test I guess a simple way is to hard brake on a empty slippery road and notice that the tires keep skidding without any pulse. Please don't take risk and crash in to anything trying this test on a narrow road where there is traffic or any other obstacle.

https://paultan.org/2012/07/19/all-perodua-cars-to-come-with-dual-airbags-seat-belt-pretensioners-from-july-2012-no-price-increase/

According to this link all cars manufactured in Malaysia after July 2012 is supposed to have airbags. I have seen some non premium cars for sale mentioning it has ABS

5 hours ago, Davy said:

Open the bonnet and look for the ABS module/pump. Cars with ABS should have an ABS module. The best way to do this is to first locate your brake oil reservoir. There should be  two or three hard lines connected to the master pump (that's the metal unit underneath the brake oil reservoir). Trace those brake lines and if they are routed under the car, then your car doesn't have ABS. If they end up in a box-like unit with a lot of brake lines connected to it (this is  your ABS module), then your car has ABS. 

The ABS module should look like this:

Screenshot_20191031-085103__01.thumb.jpg.331ae7ff7d22a74204a4f94a073e3183.jpg

Did you see this in the fuse box? If yes, it's normal for to find provisions for optional components such as ABS, Fog lamps and even airbags because manufacturers typically use the same parts for the whole series and install the optional components based on the individual car. 

Is this inside a elite?

Let me check and send a pic

16 hours ago, pantheraleo said:

Does your airbag indicator light up in pre ignition ? My Elite manual does not light up both airbag & ABS indicators because its not a premium. Is there any other sticker than Immobilizer on your back windscreen ?IMG_20191031_153111.thumb.jpg.725617ee63acee78b94ff9fa21f695a3.jpg

20 hours ago, kusumsiri said:

Does your airbag indicator light up in pre ignition ? My Elite manual does not light up both airbag & ABS indicators because its not a premium. Is there any other sticker than Immobilizer on your back windscreen ?IMG_20191031_153111.thumb.jpg.725617ee63acee78b94ff9fa21f695a3.jpg

Mine says this

D56BB090-A17A-41B0-A832-13F321A56DC0.jpeg

On 10/30/2019 at 10:51 PM, pantheraleo said:

Your car doesn't have have ABS. It is only equipped with Air bags. 

ABS equipped only with Viva Elite Premium model. Never equipped ABS with  Viva Elite Standard model . At the beginning Air Bags equipped only  with Viva Elite Premium. Later due to safety standards  every new vehicle should equipped Air Bags. Hence later Air Bags were equipped with Viva Elite Standard too. 

https://paultan.org/2012/07/19/all-perodua-cars-to-come-with-dual-airbags-seat-belt-pretensioners-from-july-2012-no-price-increase/

As far as I remember Immobilizer Key were not equipped in the beginning with Viva Elite (Mine didn't have) . Later manufactured units are equipped with Immobilizer Key. Key head shape is different each other.

Edited by Sampath Gunasekera

4 hours ago, Prasanth Parathan said:

can we fix abs to 2011 make? how much will it cost

I don't think that is possible.

I've seen this kind of conversion attempted on bikes but not success.

IMO your best choice would be sell and buy a one with ABS.

If selling is not an option a tire upgrade would help too. Eg - Getting widest wheels and tires (Ex- 185/50R14) that fit without rubbing would improve your braking. But sure it can't be compared to ABS. If you ask me how to test the tire sizes I might ask a friend with a different car if he can give 1 tire for you to fit to the Viva to a full turn go forward and revers a little and see if it rubs inside.