• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

What are the best fuel efficient Hybrids in Sri Lankan Market

Hasindu Gajanayake

Question

19 answers to this question

58 minutes ago, ramishkad said:

And if money is your concern, you won't save more than Rs. 500 a month by changing your driving style.

Exactly! 

These Hybrids do something close to 15+ kmpl even when driven like maniacs. I was never able to understand what more these guys are expecting to achieve by hogging the right lane at 40 kmph. ? 

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 8:39 AM, zeem35 said:

Lets be practical as possible without the slide, glide and hyper milling.

afaik  GP1 does 12kmpl in cmb around 20kmpl on highway

gp5 does 14-15 in colombo

aqua is the best with 16-18 in colombo

wagon r/ hustler- 13kmpl in colombo

Besides the Wagon R and GP1 more realistic figures for the GP5 and Aqua would be 14 and 15 for the latter. I had a GP5 and quite a lot of people who owns them claims at best gets 14 in Colombo.  Aqua is a little bit better. One cannot really expect even a hybrid to perform well in this traffic. Outstation is where the Toyota hybrids really shine 20+ most of the time and the Honda's like GP5 ~20ish, GP1s Insights 17ish. 

On 10/14/2018 at 8:07 AM, virajn said:

This is from kurunegala to Colombo in very rainy day. Because of rain I didn't go fast. Also I used pulse and glide method. Yes this not very practical because to achieve this efficiency you need go slower avoid sudden acceleration. Try glide as puch as possible. And it consume lot of time. Anyway car is capable of giving this efficiency. In Japan this is markted as giving 36kmpl. Also another detail. I have once notice around 35kmpl instant consumption on engine running ( not ev mode ) in expressway. This was when doing around 98kmph . ( Car don't have digital meter so can't tell exact speed) I was doing constant light acceleration ( with eco mode on) . This consumption last like 5min. Change in acceleration drop it around 30. Some one can try it :)

I don't know how fast you drove or if you crated traffic by trying to drive this way, but my question is, is all this effort worth it? Can you enjoy your ride this way? I also drive a hybrid and in the first couple of months after getting it, I was obsessed with trying to see how much fuel it would do. I wasnt bothered about the fuel cost, but I wanted to see if I can break my best fuel efficiency record. It was all about improving 'stats'. I didnt drive slow  on purpose but I tried all sorts of gimmicks to get F/E maximized.

And let me tell you, the drives became really boring and I almost fell asleep couple of times during night time drives.

Turn off your fuel efficiency display and set it to show temperature or something else. Now forget about fuel efficiency. Try driving now. You'd feel a huge weight lifted from your head and you'll feel the freedom of driving once again. 

And if money is your concern, you won't save more than Rs. 500 a month by changing your driving style.

16 minutes ago, virajn said:

This not me. I'm not even touching my phone on highway driving.

Macho I’m sorry to say that this is the least reliable way of gathering fuel consumption. My non hybrid swift tells me sometimes I get around 24kmpl in your way. Any car , if you reset the trip computer or look at the live fuel consumption on the highway will report this. This is far from the actual truth. Even this meathod run about 20 mins and see how the results change. 

Do this , pump full tank , run around 100kms. Then again pump full tank and see how many liters you have pumped. Then you will see a very realistic figure. The meathods you are using to measure consumption is wrong. 

Edited by TheFlyingFox
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Jason_Bourne said:

32 KMPL?
මචන් උඹ මේ කියන්නේ Honda Fit GP5 එකක් ගැනද?
Scooty Pep එකක් ගැනද? ? 

32kmpl is nothing.

My cousin recorded 100KMPL in his prius.

(Nuwara eliya to Colombo?)

Edited by vag2
  • Haha 4

On 8/8/2018 at 10:11 AM, Hasindu Gajanayake said:

I need to buy a hybrid car.Which hybrid car should I buy?..feel free to comment the fuel consumption(km per litre)

What you mean by " feel free to comment the fuel consumption" . Do you particular on the fuel consumption ?   Fuel consumption various lot on whether the car is brand new or used,  driving conditions, driving habits, condition of the battery and engine, weight of the car, etc.  Keep it mind with the recent improvements in engine technologies (turbo boost, variable valve timing, reduction of friction loss, etc.) and reduction of transmission loss there are many non-hybrid cars  which can give you equal or even better fuel economy figures.  Well, one common mistake in buying the hybrids is forgetting the time required  for amortising the higher cost paid over the savings from fuel. sometimes difference of using a non-hybrid and hybrid may be marginal if you are not cruising lot on regular basis. For some people only advantage of having a hybrid vehicle is just the batch in the boot, which they can be proud of.  Also keep in mind, used hybrid car means at some stage you have replaced the hybrid battery and charging unit/motor.  

In terms of fuel economy best figures are achieved in prius plugin hybrids.  Also aqua.  But stil you have to maintain the battery.  

Well, there are many hybrid users here, it would be better if you narrow down your choice. Then you can expect a better answer.

Edited by trish_auto

On 9/13/2018 at 2:31 AM, Jason_Bourne said:

32 KMPL?
මචන් උඹ මේ කියන්නේ Honda Fit GP5 එකක් ගැනද?
Scooty Pep එකක් ගැනද? ? 

This is from kurunegala to Colombo in very rainy day. Because of rain I didn't go fast. Also I used pulse and glide method. Yes this not very practical because to achieve this efficiency you need go slower avoid sudden acceleration. Try glide as puch as possible. And it consume lot of time. Anyway car is capable of giving this efficiency. In Japan this is markted as giving 36kmpl. Also another detail. I have once notice around 35kmpl instant consumption on engine running ( not ev mode ) in expressway. This was when doing around 98kmph . ( Car don't have digital meter so can't tell exact speed) I was doing constant light acceleration ( with eco mode on) . This consumption last like 5min. Change in acceleration drop it around 30. Some one can try it :)

Edited by virajn
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, virajn said:

Lets be practical as possible without the slide, glide and hyper milling.

afaik  GP1 does 12kmpl in cmb around 20kmpl on highway

gp5 does 14-15 in colombo

aqua is the best with 16-18 in colombo

wagon r/ hustler- 13kmpl in colombo

• Haha 1

On 10/14/2018 at 8:07 AM, virajn said:

Very true machan. You can try the below method (apply as much as possible) and make it last longer than 5 min

easyglidedelay.jpg

• Haha 6

On 10/14/2018 at 4:37 AM, virajn said:

This is from kurunegala to Colombo in very rainy day. Because of rain I didn't go fast. Also I used pulse and glide method.

Dude if you really want to save the environment take a scooty,tuktuk or Public transport instead of your weird "Glide and Wank" methods on the road causing heavy traffic jams behind you.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, vag2 said:

Dude if you really want to save the environment take a scooty,tuktuk or Public transport instead of your weird "Glide and Wank" methods on the road causing heavy traffic jams behind you.

Were you there ? How can you tell it causing traffic ? You want race you can race. I drive within the speed limits. 

This is from car makers. 

Edited by virajn
T

20 minutes ago, ramishkad said:

I don't know how fast you drove or if you crated traffic by trying to drive this way, but my question is, is all this effort worth it? Can you enjoy your ride this way? I also drive a hybrid and in the first couple of months after getting it, I was obsessed with trying to see how much fuel it would do. I wasnt bothered about the fuel cost, but I wanted to see if I can break my best fuel efficiency record. It was all about improving 'stats'. I didnt drive slow  on purpose but I tried all sorts of gimmicks to get F/E maximized.

And let me tell you, the drives became really boring and I almost fell asleep couple of times during night time drives.

Turn off your fuel efficiency display and set it to show temperature or something else. Now forget about fuel efficiency. Try driving now. You'd feel a huge weight lifted from your head and you'll feel the freedom of driving once again. 

Yes. 100% agreed. What you are telling is true. I normally don't drive this way. I do sudden acceleration in sport mode to overtake buses most of the time. I didn't say i'm constantly driving this way. I said once I achieved this and  car is capable and any one can try that. ( Cars these days are so much advance in engineering and you have to give credit for that.) I said my best figures. Only once I have achieved that figure. But if one can drive this way ( without getting bored :) ) it will not only save fuel money. These driving techniques having mechanical sympathy ( please search in the net before anyone trying to insult me :) ) which will increase lifetime of your car (engine, transmission, breaks, suspension etc). But at the end of the day who has time for that. Family is waiting and getting back home as soon as possible is the best.  

Edited by virajn

12 hours ago, virajn said:

@CrosswindI have tried share my experience here. As a experienced user why you want to insult people. You have crossed a line here. I don't want insult back.   If I'm wrong show me where I'm wrong. Why do you want to insult and be a dick ( is it because it's lot easier when you in safety behind the keyboard then you can type whatever you want). Be a professional. Talk to the point. https://www.metrompg.com/posts/pulse-and-glide.htm. If this is wrong tell why ? Why do you want to insult people without any reason ?

I think it’s humor more than an insult. The fuel ️ figures you claim are outrageous. GP5 owner sometime ago. 

On 10/16/2018 at 10:12 PM, TheFlyingFox said:

I think it’s humor more than an insult. The fuel ️ figures you claim are outrageous. GP5 owner sometime ago. 

This not me. I'm not even touching my phone on highway driving.

23 hours ago, Crosswind said:

Very true machan. You can try the below method (apply as much as possible) and make it last longer than 5 min

easyglidedelay.jpg

@CrosswindI have tried share my experience here. As a experienced user why you want to insult people. You have crossed a line here. I don't want insult back.   If I'm wrong show me where I'm wrong. Why do you want to insult and be a dick ( is it because it's lot easier when you in safety behind the keyboard then you can type whatever you want). Be a professional. Talk to the point. https://www.metrompg.com/posts/pulse-and-glide.htm. If this is wrong tell why ? Why do you want to insult people without any reason ?

• Like 2