• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Import from Japan or Australia : Honda CRV-S AWD

kam.uoc

Question

Hi,

I'm hoping to import CRV-S AWD for permit. When i checked with agents, there are some import from Australia. There are some who import Honda CRV from Japan.

1. Are there any difference in two vehicles in terms of quality, etc.

2. If yes, what is recommended for SL.

Thanks in advance.

6 answers to this question

As far as i know CRV is currently manufactured in Thailand for RHD models

Whether you get it from Australia or via agents it will be manufactured Thailand

There will be differences in the specs as they are market specific

And the warranty and the delivery time

The CRV is now assembled in Thailand, Indonesia, Vietnam and word is that Japan is also considering small volumes (not yet though).....quality wise they would all be the same and the only difference would be market specific configuration differences (which these days are pretty much next to none) and accessories and features.

Here is the thing...the CR-V has NOT been launched in Japan yet ! The launch date in August 30th. Right now Honda is offering pre-orders. The chances are if you order one form Japan you will have to wait for a while. Whilst from AUS you could get one right now. Also, Japan will be getting a Hybrid variant as well.

Do some checking....think hard..because if the price is not that far off, and features/accessories are not too basic, you might want to strongly consider getting one from the agent so that you get the manufacturer's warranty and not have to be at some thrid party car sales guy's mercy. 

• Like 2

In terms of the cost, The CRV offered by the Agent is quite a good deal compared to high spec CRV from Australia. With the warranty, best to go for the agent. but, long waiting period is the problem with the Agent. Stafford confirmed that the supply date would be April to May if order is placed now. No one could predict what happened to present tax system, exchange rates by then. Though the best option is to import a CRV through the Agent, but the most viable is get is delivered through an importer. There are plenty!!!

I heard that there is a huge demand from SL for CRV market in Australia. It looks that importing a brand new (so called zero millage) would take couple of months but "displayed units, units driven for test runs" could be imported in a reasonable time. 

By the way, Why we cannot import a CRV directly from Thailand!!!! Any trade restrictions or is it a costly option. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vitz said:

In terms of the cost, The CRV offered by the Agent is quite a good deal compared to high spec CRV from Australia. With the warranty, best to go for the agent. but, long waiting period is the problem with the Agent. Stafford confirmed that the supply date would be April to May if order is placed now. No one could predict what happened to present tax system, exchange rates by then. Though the best option is to import a CRV through the Agent, but the most viable is get is delivered through an importer. There are plenty!!!

I heard that there is a huge demand from SL for CRV market in Australia. It looks that importing a brand new (so called zero millage) would take couple of months but "displayed units, units driven for test runs" could be imported in a reasonable time. 

By the way, Why we cannot import a CRV directly from Thailand!!!! Any trade restrictions or is it a costly option. 

An official dealer in a specific country will not (and cannot) sell to another country. You will get re-directed to the dealer's regional sales office which will direct you to your local agent. 

However, if you have a car exporter in Thailand, then that exporter can buy it on your behalf and then ship it out to you (just like they do in Japan and Australia). I think they are not brought down from Thailand because the car dealers in SL do not have much connections with dealers in Thailand (anymore) considering how they go around fear mongering people about how poor quality Thai built cars are.

• Like 1

Thanks for the valuable opinions.

I talked to Stafford and they are unable to confirm the delivery date of the vehicle. That is why i decided to go for 3rd party importer.

I talked to few and they are quoting different prices for the same model. :) Is there anyone who already bought a CRV or any other vehicle from an importers which you may recommend?