• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Kenwood or Pioneer

TmdRockz

Question

Guys im going to install a audio system to my car. what do you think is good ? There are many models of Kenwood at pe*co lanka. I know a place which have Pioneer brand as well. What do you think i need to consider when buying a car stereo ? If it supports apple carplay can i use google maps in it ?

23 answers to this question

3 hours ago, TmdRockz said:

Guys im going to install a audio system to my car. what do you think is good ? There are many models of Kenwood at pe*co lanka. I know a place which have Pioneer brand as well. What do you think i need to consider when buying a car stereo ? If it supports apple carplay can i use google maps in it ?

Apple CarPlay does not support third party mapping applications at the moment in iOS11. In iOS 12, Apple will support third party mapping applications like Google Maps, Waze etc (According to the published information and iOS12 beta reviews). According to the news, iOS 12 will be released in September 2018

Edited by tbird

Pioneer(Carrozzeria) and Alpine are two top premium audio system brands in Japan. Pioneer doesn't sell their Carrozzeria line up outside of Japan but I'm sure they are good enough.

Find out the specific models you are interested in and compare the specs and features.

If you have got a Toyota vehicle make sure to get a 200mm head unit so that it will be a direct fit

1 hour ago, Magnum said:

Pioneer(Carrozzeria) and Alpine are two top premium audio system brands in Japan. Pioneer doesn't sell their Carrozzeria line up outside of Japan but I'm sure they are good enough.

Find out the specific models you are interested in and compare the specs and features.

If you have got a Toyota vehicle make sure to get a 200mm head unit so that it will be a direct fit

Do you know a place where Pioneer audio systems are available ?

At the moment Damro (pioneer dealer) has no Pioneer units for sale. They say they will receive the new shipment in a week. Pet#o Lanka have Kenwood and they have a model 718. I dont remember the exact model number. But its 718. It doesnt have Apple Car play,it is 65K. There was a model which had apple carplay was Pioneer 5150. It out of stock as well. Now i can find the 5750 model only. Are there anyone who have used Pioneer AVH5750xl ?

23 hours ago, TmdRockz said:

At the moment Damro (pioneer dealer) has no Pioneer units for sale. They say they will receive the new shipment in a week. Pet#o Lanka have Kenwood and they have a model 718. I dont remember the exact model number. But its 718. It doesnt have Apple Car play,it is 65K. There was a model which had apple carplay was Pioneer 5150. It out of stock as well. Now i can find the 5750 model only. Are there anyone who have used Pioneer AVH5750xl ?

I haven't used it and I am also looking for a setup for my Vitz 2016. AVH-XL5750BT is a Toyota direct fit model which is about 57k in Pettah. It doesn't have Apple car play or Android Auto. Shop owner in pettah said it is a very good setup anyway. :D

6 hours ago, amsandun said:

I haven't used it and I am also looking for a setup for my Vitz 2016. AVH-XL5750BT is a Toyota direct fit model which is about 57k in Pettah. It doesn't have Apple car play or Android Auto. Shop owner in pettah said it is a very good setup anyway. :D

Bro are you sure about the quality of the goods in Pettah ? I doubt they are good. Anyway , whats the shop you asked from in pettah ?

7 hours ago, TmdRockz said:

Bro are you sure about the quality of the goods in Pettah ? I doubt they are good. Anyway , whats the shop you asked from in pettah ?

well I can't say I am sure about the quality..they may or may not be original. I also got to know this place from an old post about kenwood/pioneer setups and places to buy in this forum. A place called Favourite Super Market. Read the following threads and you can get an idea. Most of members had good view and comments about buying electronic stuff in pettah.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, amsandun said:

well I can't say I am sure about the quality..they may or may not be original. I also got to know this place from an old post about kenwood/pioneer setups and places to buy in this forum. A place called Favourite Super Market. Read the following threads and you can get an idea. Most of members had good view and comments about buying electronic stuff in pettah.

To date i've actually bought 3 head units from this guy in favorite market. (02nd floor i guess) The first Kenwood i used for 5 years straight without any complaint and others 02 years each until i sold the vehicles. No issues. I think they are bringing down units which are of a older production year which can be dirt cheap in places like Dubai. You will not find the latest release with them for any brand. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sadik said:

To date i've actually bought 3 head units from this guy in favorite market. (02nd floor i guess) The first Kenwood i used for 5 years straight without any complaint and others 02 years each until i sold the vehicles. No issues. I think they are bringing down units which are of a older production year which can be dirt cheap in places like Dubai. You will not find the latest release with them for any brand. 

yes it can be. pettah is a source of almost everything and also a mix of everything. there will be original,good products and also unworthy fake stuff. so you have to be vigilant. I don't know how I verify the genuineness even if I buy it from somewhere else. Most of the importations of goods to Sri Lanka are done by importers and wholesale shops in pettah. So it is possible that many of other shops also get their products through Pettah isn't it? 

On 8/7/2018 at 8:32 PM, amsandun said:

yes it can be. pettah is a source of almost everything and also a mix of everything. there will be original,good products and also unworthy fake stuff. so you have to be vigilant. I don't know how I verify the genuineness even if I buy it from somewhere else. Most of the importations of goods to Sri Lanka are done by importers and wholesale shops in pettah. So it is possible that many of other shops also get their products through Pettah isn't it? 

Agreed. Because its a very attractive price what they offer. As they say "caveat emptor - buyer beware" i think it's up to us to check the genuineness of the product via keying it in to the brand's database... : ) 

Installed Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT to my vehicle (with apple play). Excellent audio quality with very balanced sound (may be because of factory fitted speakers of my Eclipse Cross are quite good). Based on my experience upto now, I highly recommend this model.

Edited by vitz

On 8/3/2018 at 2:55 AM, tcfern1 said:

Kenwood is not good for FM reception outside the city

That is surprising as long time back I had a Kenwood single din setup and never noticed a thing like that. May be check your connection to the antenna. 

They are both good, Some will like the Pioneer some will like the Kenwood. Kenwoods seems to have a more attractive interface while the Pioneers have a more "refined" interface. Top end Kenwoods you get here have capactive panels where as the Pioneers still have resistive panels (Pressure based) at least in SL. SQ wise i personally tend to prefer Pioneer (To my ears). You cant go wrong with either ! They are both good

• Like 1