• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

TOYOTA HIACE GL KDH 220 Vs Daihatsu Mira

tilvin

Dear Friends,

I am writing this post on behalf of my friend. He is a newbie. He told he is interested in 2 vehicles to buy for his personal use.

1. TOYOTA HIACE GL KDH 220

2. Daihatsu Mira

In terms of spare parts, fuel economy and maintenance how I can advise him? In my opinion, I prefer Hiace than Mira. Please give you valuable advices.....?

Thanks.....

I have seen many  really outlandish 'VS' threads but this has to be the one that takes the cake. I mean a Van vs a Kei now I know in SL it's always the price-bracket that decides what vehicles to buy but still ....that's a really weird comparison - it's possible your friend does not have a clear requirement at all. In such I would advise him to think what exactly he wants.  Does he run a business? Does he have a large family of about 6+ people?

Hi Tilvin,

First of all I don't understand the point of comparing a Diesel Van like KDH 220 to a small car like Daihatsu Mira for personal use. 

But since you asking, the maintenance is much higher on KDH being a Diesel vehicle. Spare parts are expensive. absolutely no point of talking about fuel economy comparison with a 660cc petrol engine vs 2500/3000cc turbo diesel engine. 

Mira would be cheaper in every aspect. 

Thanks !

Thanks for the reply. My friend is actually a little crazy fellow. In his viewpoint he wants to go for too small or too big. That's why he wants to select from these two vehicles....?.

His family is 3. He, wife and a small kid. For his personal use.....?

41 minutes ago, tilvin said:

Thanks for the reply. My friend is actually a little crazy fellow. In his viewpoint he wants to go for too small or too big. That's why he wants to select from these two vehicles....?.

well for a small family like that a Mira fits in nicely - It's cleaner, un-abused, less headaches for the near future.  

The Hi Ace  - yes is a very reliable vehicle BUT being  a highly sought after model a majority of specimens  would have gone through unspeakable abuse, and all kinds of tampering, open-books, part-replacements etc... (sometimes it may have been even used to abduct people)

Back in the 90's (and 80's too i assume) Vans were actually viewed as family vehicles since back then not many people had cars,[so your relatives also relied on you for transport-actually folk with cars were unpopular among the acchis and seeyas while the van guy was the hitha-honda kolla ]  your extended family also lived with you and families were slightly larger. Nowadays it really doesn't make that much sense to lug around in a big  van  unless you had a specific purpose like a business etc. 

Edited by matroska

1 hour ago, tilvin said:

Cant advice!
Let his craziness play the game. :action-smiley-060:

Let me shed some light on the Hiace in question. 

The KDH220 is a basic version of the Hiace Commuter, hence it comes as 6 seater and a basic interior with metal bits being visible.

It was produced from 2004-2007 so it cannot be imported to Sri Lanka.

It'll look something like this:

Image result for KDH220 Hiace

As your friend's family is quite small I dont think he needs a van this big, I dont think he even needs a standard body Hiace.

A Hiace would roughly cost 10k for service

Tyres range from 15k-23k

Fuel economy would be around 8-10km/l on average with AC

Edited by Magnum

9 hours ago, Kasun Tharaka said:

a small car like Daihatsu Mira for personal use...

fuel economy comparison with a 660cc petrol engine..

I don't have personal experience with Daihatsu Mira. But I had a Viva which had a Daihatsu 660cc engine  coupled to a 5 speed manual. Its fun to rev that small engine like crazy (it had RPM till 10k). Never had problems around Colombo except of one drive way with a steeeeep incline where the engine had to work pretty hard. When turning off the A/C you can feel the extra help unlike bigger engines. Needless to talk about fuel with that engine.