• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Japanese letter hanging thing????

Urmask

Hi Guys,

Recently I have seen some vehicles where the owners have attached some Japanese letter car styling thing in rear or front bumper. It looks like a new trend. What is it? Some feng- Shui thing??? From where do they buy that??? 

As per my understanding, this strip is a tow strip that attached to the chassis when a vehicle is modified. Because the tow head could be covered with body-kit and this strip will do the job when it needs to pull the vehicle. 

But as it turns out, here people do it as a style where it has no value. If you try to tow using that, most probably you will only get the bumper. ?

1 hour ago, tbird said:

All the strips I have seen, have luminous colors. These strips illuminates in the dark and I thought those people hanged them as a safety related thing. That is the only benefit I can think of

Maybe the break lights and reflectors are bust

You can be asking about one of two things

a.       Tsurikawa ring (to be hung in the back but in SL I have seen them hung in front as well)

Tsurikawa in Japanese is a strap that you hold on to whilst standing (usually when a vehicle is in motion), like a bus strap or a train strap you hold on to when in these vehicles.

JDM car culture groups started taking these straps and putting it in their cars as a form of reflecting their rebellion (against the norm) and their freedom from it. In Japan, defacing/destruction of public property is a definite no no…irrespective of the legal consequences, society will look at it you in a very bad way for doing it (eg. You throw a piece of paper on the ground, you will not go to jail and no one will say anything to you, in fact a passer by would probably dispose of it for you…but everyone around you will judge you to be an inconsiderate pig who is despicable ßokay that was extreme…). So  people in these sub-cultures stole these straps from buses and trains; and put them on their cars to kind of to show and say “sc**w it” to the system and the social conformities. So it was a badge of freedom to put on their car. When they put it….another thing happened. It also showed how much the car has been lowered from its stock height. The closer the ring part was to the ground the extreme the lowering of the car is…so you got more street cred for aggressively modifying your car.

Well….nowadays….the Tsurikawa rings can be bought at accessory shops in Japan. So no more stealing them off of trains and buses. Whilst the true JDM car culture followers still put the tsurikawa rings for its original purpose…a lot of them put them on just to look cute (you can even get them shaped like Hello Kitty, etc…). In Sri Lanka…well 90% of the people who put them put it on for the sake of putting it on with no idea why, as you might have found out yourself; and even if they give a response it will be a simple “its JDM bro”  :D 

Related image

b.      Tow strap

The others have said what Tow straps are.

Image result for tow strap jdm

Edited by iRage
  • Like 1