• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota CHR 2WD or 4WD

Ash123

1 hour ago, iRage said:

For some reason I thought the specs sheet showed the Allion being higher than the CHR...160mm vs 15x....

14 minutes ago, Hyaenidae said:

Its 140mm according to this (2WD variants)

https://toyota.jp/pages/contents/c-hr/001_p_006/pdf/spec/c-hr_spec_201910.pdf

Not sure if that is with the bodykit or not

Should be one with the bodykit. 

AWD version has slightly more ground clearance than the 2WD version. 

1 hour ago, Hyaenidae said:

Its 140mm according to this (2WD variants)

https://toyota.jp/pages/contents/c-hr/001_p_006/pdf/spec/c-hr_spec_201910.pdf

Not sure if that is with the bodykit or not

As per this link it is 140mm for the 2WD and 155mm for the AWD model. I guess both ground clearance levels are without any body kits..

4 hours ago, hrm said:

Thought of CHR at the first place

That's a good choice actually if you're thinking of an upgrade - ones with a bit of mileage are going for very attractive prices.. 

3 hours ago, sathyajithj99 said:

It sure is going to be a problem when travelling in narrow roads.

The risk is higher when you go with google maps - they would show you a tiny road i have this concern with the civic too. 

2 hours ago, matroska said:

That's a good choice actually if you're thinking of an upgrade - ones with a bit of mileage are going for very attractive prices.. 

Exactly. Ground clearance is the only thing holding me back. Don't want to hear my father in law say "Jeep ekak ganna eke usa ekak ganna beri unada"? :P

Edited by hrm

3 minutes ago, sathyajithj99 said:

You don't have to please your father in law machan :action-smiley-032:

Well I promised to buy something that can be parked in his drive way when selling Vitz and bought Allion which has more GC on paper. This time I seriously need more mms for the sake of car. However I might keep this car for some time as it really does better anywhere else. Will PM you if I'm into a CHR someday.

26 minutes ago, hrm said:

Well I promised to buy something that can be parked in his drive way when selling Vitz and bought Allion which has more GC on paper. This time I seriously need more mms for the sake of car. However I might keep this car for some time as it really does better anywhere else. Will PM you if I'm into a CHR someday.

Sure mate. Any time. 

• Like 1

Just wanted to rectify, a car sale fella told the chr awd has more demand than the 2wd is it true? Being sri Lanka?

Based on my experiences on our second vehicle :), I must say that Ch-r is a great vehicle for an enjoyable ride......People who don't bother about the weird passenger seat window designing.....would not have to have any reservations to buy this vehicle...  

What I like the most...

- Stiff suspension 

-  The steering feels really engaged like....

- Very solidly built with a very nice interior

- Great pulling power (Initially I did not expect such a power in a 1.2 engine),

- Reasonable fuel economy... our AWD can get easily 14 km/l, but with careful driving even can reach 17 

Edited by vitz

36 minutes ago, vitz said:

Based on my experiences on our second vehicle :), I must say that Ch-r is a great vehicle for an enjoyable ride......People who don't bother about the weird passenger seat window designing.....would not have to have any reservations to buy this vehicle...  

What I like the most...

- Stiff suspension 

-  The steering feels really engaged like....

- Very solidly built with a very nice interior

- Great pulling power (Initially I did not expect such a power in a 1.2 engine),

- Reasonable fuel economy... our AWD can get easily 14 km/l, but with careful driving even can reach 17 

I second what you've mentioned here. AWD feels more engaged while driving than the 2WD. I really enjoy driving on twisty roads and the steering also feels heavier compared to other Toyotas. Good pickup from a stand still position due to AWD system. 

Yes the rear is a bit clostrophobic due to it's coupe like design but it doesn't bother me much. 

• 3 months later...

Guys,

I replaced the air-filter of our C-HR some time ago. What I bought was said to be a genuine one (not from TL) and the appearance and the construction did not show any hallmarks of a fake one. As usual the seller wowed that  it is a baggage import from Dubai or elsewhere.

Today, when I removed the air filter, i could found glue strip (see the figure-marked in red) applied to the air inlet side has dripped on to the air filter case. I am not sure whether this glue strip was there in the the original one. 

This observation questions me whether I bought a fake one... pls consider this post as a precaution when purchasing spares!!

image.png.9f188d4746648bea9b615bd3ca559f22.pngimage.png.4bbb5cd8418b3da4703da6d7edde92ac.pngimage.png.4f45bb8f73a88dcaf90d9db49dabc874.png

I would say it is fake...

1. Never seen an air filter with a glue strip in the middle. That does not make sense....with heat inside the engine that glue is going to melt and drip

2. That printing seems off...I thought the Denso lettering as more closely printed together

3. Is that shrinkage ? Seriously doubt an original filter would shrink like that.

8 hours ago, iRage said:

I would say it is fake...

1. Never seen an air filter with a glue strip in the middle. That does not make sense....with heat inside the engine that glue is going to melt and drip

2. That printing seems off...I thought the Denso lettering as more closely printed together

3. Is that shrinkage ? Seriously doubt an original filter would shrink like that.

There are Genuine Denso filter models with glue strip in the middle. See below photos. 

The old one is genuine one came with the car (0 millage personally imported car I personally collected from Hambanthota port - So no chance to replace it by any body in SL) and used 50,000 km. 

The new one is bought from local market (they said genuine part). 

372387230_02Lawcap.thumb.jpeg.452059200e4aee62747557a198e67965.jpeg

1664469635_01Lowcap.thumb.jpeg.0fceff0637aff95d8481e42a7b5e0cee.jpeg

9 minutes ago, iRage said:

Interesting....I don't recall the glue strip at all in any of the filters. But why ? The plastic separators are no more ? 

Last i remember similar Toyota filters was on a diesel Caldina, original was with a plastic frame and a rubber beading, replacement frame was fully rubber with a separator.  Even i have newer seen this glue strip.

Did a quick search..seems to go both ways....some have the glue, some plastic and some nothing. and these are all filters which Toyota themselves give. Denso and DriveJoy (in Japan we do not usually get the Toyota box or anything of the sort..we get the supplier box with a Toyota sticker on top). However, if you go to a third party parts shop then you get the Toyota boxed one. There seems to be questions being raised as to why the material color is different for the replacement DENSO filter. Interesting.

But still if this is an original filter...will the glue melt away like that ?

2 minutes ago, iRage said:

But still if this is an original filter...will the glue melt away like that ?

Probably a material defect ?? (may be on a particular batch) 

Or more heat ?? (but rare chance. Isn't it? 

1 minute ago, gayanath said:

Probably a material defect ?? (may be on a particular batch) 

Or more heat ?? (but rare chance. Isn't it? 

well..if it has more heat..that means the engine is operating beyond the acceptable heat range and it should be overheating right ?

So material defect caused by bad production or poor storage and handling; or a counterfeit. 

So the poor guy is still left with no answer. Should he go on using the current filter and have more glue drip (so probably should not use it..) or go to Toyota Lanka and buy a filter form them (probably will be a lot pricier). OR get an aftermarket fiter from a reputed supplier ? The Blitz filters seem to be rather popular for the new Toyotas

6 hours ago, iRage said:

Interesting....I don't recall the glue strip at all in any of the filters. But why ? The plastic separators are no more ? 

I think the glue strip is for the foam piece on top thats missing. Here's a pic of my old denso filter..

Screenshot_20200601-083913_YouTube.jpg

I've had filters with a glue strip in the middle over the pleats too.

I think it's part of a newer (cheaper to manufacture) design as I don't recall it being the case before. (Before I remember the filter had a thick silicone strip around the exterior of the paper pleats and through in the middle holding everything in place and the last set of filters I bought just had a strip of a clear glue / silicone on the middle of the pleats as pictured above, to hold everything in place. The new design looks flimsier but as the airbox supports the filter anyway I guess it gets the job done, and if the same job can be done with less material, then it's a win for the environment so: I figure it's all good! 

But anyways since the change to the new design, I've never had a problem with the glue stip (it looks more like its a form of resin or silicone rather than glue) coming off or melting. So unfortunately I would say this filter was not upto standard  and probably fake....?

Edited by Kavvz

9 hours ago, gayanath said:

There are Genuine Denso filter models with glue strip in the middle. See below photos. 

The old one is genuine one came with the car (0 millage personally imported car I personally collected from Hambanthota port - So no chance to replace it by any body in SL) and used 50,000 km. 

The new one is bought from local market (they said genuine part). 

372387230_02Lawcap.thumb.jpeg.452059200e4aee62747557a198e67965.jpeg

1664469635_01Lowcap.thumb.jpeg.0fceff0637aff95d8481e42a7b5e0cee.jpeg

Interesting!!! mine too, I  replaced the original one after 30000. But cannot recall whether it had it. Thanks for sharing...

By the way, the part number of the filter I replaced is different to what you have used. Before the purchase, I checked the part number and confirmed it fits to C-HR.

The color difference and quite different printing question me whether the new one is really a genuine one? It looks that the counterfeit Denso manufacturer trying to make the  counterfeit similar to the genuine!!! 

Edited by vitz

8 hours ago, iRage said:

So material defect caused by bad production or poor storage and handling; or a counterfeit. 

So the poor guy is still left with no answer. Should he go on using the current filter and have more glue drip (so probably should not use it..) or go to Toyota Lanka and buy a filter form them (probably will be a lot pricier). OR get an aftermarket fiter from a reputed supplier ? The Blitz filters seem to be rather popular for the new Toyotas

I would jump on the : Don't use it anymore it's probably a poorly made counterfeit  bandwagon as well. Primarily because I wouldn’t want any of the glue clumps or microscopic particles getting sucked into the engine via the intake air past the MAS where it might gunk things up. The MAS is going to be a lot harder to clean / replace than simply changing the filter. 

Edited by Kavvz