• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota CHR 2WD or 4WD

Ash123

4 hours ago, Ash123 said:

Hi all, Please suggest which car to buy CHR 2WD or 4WD. Domestic use only. 

Thanks

I would say 2WD.

The reason is I would not get the AWD is (CHR is AWD not 4WD) with its ground clearance (5.9 inches) I would not take it on a rough road as you might damage the underbody. 

So when you are not using the AWD system I guess you would save tiny bit of weight on the car + reduce the complexity a little bit + save tiny bit of fuel economy.

These threads are getting more and more ridiculous....it won't be long before people start asking if they should be buying a banana yellow CHR or a maroon CHR..

There are quite a few threads discussing why an AWD vehicle would be beneficial (might not be specifically a CHR...but the pros and cons of using AWD and 2WD of any other cars still apply)

SEARCH the thread

All Hybrid CHRs are 2WD....

All petrol CHRs before March or so of 2018 are AWD...after March the petrol comes in 2WD and AWD.

If you are frugal enough to want to save .5 kmpl a liter then go for the 2WD....but seriously...you will save more fuel by making sure your passengers and you stay fit and healthy and not over weight.

I would say go for the AWD. The AWD system is nothing new and it is pretty much an updated system that has been around with everything from the Harrier to the Lexus RX and NX models....it is not that ground breakingly complicated. Why go for the AWD system ? It makes a huge difference when driving on slippery roads and windy roads...you would love it during the rainy season in SL. You won't be doing any serious off roading but you can take your CHR on pretty moderate tracks. It is just that 90% of the CHRs in SL are brought down with those ridiculous body kits simply for the show and neighbor's panty drop value (you will save more weight by ditching the body kit)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, iRage said:

These threads are getting more and more ridiculous....it won't be long before people start asking if they should be buying a banana yellow CHR or a maroon CHR..

There are quite a few threads discussing why an AWD vehicle would be beneficial (might not be specifically a CHR...but the pros and cons of using AWD and 2WD of any other cars still apply)

SEARCH the thread

All Hybrid CHRs are 2WD....

All petrol CHRs before March or so of 2018 are AWD...after March the petrol comes in 2WD and AWD.

If you are frugal enough to want to save .5 kmpl a liter then go for the 2WD....but seriously...you will save more fuel by making sure your passengers and you stay fit and healthy and not over weight.

I would say go for the AWD. The AWD system is nothing new and it is pretty much an updated system that has been around with everything from the Harrier to the Lexus RX and NX models....it is not that ground breakingly complicated. Why go for the AWD system ? It makes a huge difference when driving on slippery roads and windy roads...you would love it during the rainy season in SL. You won't be doing any serious off roading but you can take your CHR on pretty moderate tracks. It is just that 90% of the CHRs in SL are brought down with those ridiculous body kits simply for the show and neighbor's panty drop value (you will save more weight by ditching the body kit)

Sorry if we ask stupid questions and answers. But please have some patience with us as we amateurs learn a lot from this forum. I remember @Rumesh88 has lot of patience with some of the questions and answering them with lot of detail.

Anyways looks like 2wd option what I suggested seems to be wrong.

In terms of fuel economy when I searched 2wd manual trans was showing 5.4L / 100kms (combined) vs 2wd cvt trans 5.5L /100kms vs AWD cvt trans showing 5.6L / 100kms. Which I though 18.5 kmpl vs 17.8kmpl might be helpful to pocket a little bit, guess its wrong.

In terms of weight yes not much of a difference 2wd at 1425kg vs AWD at 1510kg.

Thank for bringing the point in terms of AWD system on slippery and windy roads. I was thinking unlike a 4wd system an AWD system would only send power to back wheels when you press gas. I thought on a slippery condition when you take your foot off the gas the back wheels won’t get power. I was thinking on a slippery condition when you take off your foot the Traction Control System would control brake front to back and Vehicle Stability Control will control braking Left to Right. So far I was thinking that having good tires will help on slippery condition would help and AWD doesn’t help when you take foot off the gas. Looks like what I was thinking is wrong.

So finally I guess it will be a good investment to go for the AWD as @iRage said as the 2wd only give really tiny + tiny bit of advantage on fuel and maintenance.

6 hours ago, kmeeg said:

Sorry if we ask stupid questions and answers. But please have some patience with us as we amateurs learn a lot from this forum. I remember @Rumesh88 has lot of patience with some of the questions and answering them with lot of detail.

Anyways looks like 2wd option what I suggested seems to be wrong.

In terms of fuel economy when I searched 2wd manual trans was showing 5.4L / 100kms (combined) vs 2wd cvt trans 5.5L /100kms vs AWD cvt trans showing 5.6L / 100kms. Which I though 18.5 kmpl vs 17.8kmpl might be helpful to pocket a little bit, guess its wrong.

In terms of weight yes not much of a difference 2wd at 1425kg vs AWD at 1510kg.

Thank for bringing the point in terms of AWD system on slippery and windy roads. I was thinking unlike a 4wd system an AWD system would only send power to back wheels when you press gas. I thought on a slippery condition when you take your foot off the gas the back wheels won’t get power. I was thinking on a slippery condition when you take off your foot the Traction Control System would control brake front to back and Vehicle Stability Control will control braking Left to Right. So far I was thinking that having good tires will help on slippery condition would help and AWD doesn’t help when you take foot off the gas. Looks like what I was thinking is wrong.

So finally I guess it will be a good investment to go for the AWD as @iRage said as the 2wd only give really tiny + tiny bit of advantage on fuel and maintenance.

I haven't lost my patience :) I was just saying these threads are getting more and more ridiculous because people are not actually going through the already available information and coming to a proper conclusion themselves. I don't know why everyone is so afraid of making decisions anymore....

Funny thing about the fuel figures...I just threw out a random number :).. What specs are you looking at ? Manual transmission ? JDM variant all come with CVT. The 2WD is rated at 16.4 kmpl and the AWD at 15.4 kmpl in a JC08 cycle. So that makes it 6.09L/100km and 6.49L/100km...so for a 100km you save 0.4 of a litre (on paper at least...). Seriously...lose the body kit and keep yourself healthy....

Apart from the tires, all the situations/scenarios you describe are what you would do (or happen) when you start slipping or trying to avoid a slippery situation right ? i.e. your foot is OFF the gas, you are applying brakes, traction control is kicked in...Yes those things happen...but almost after the fact of the driver messing up and the safety systems trying to save itself or on the verge of actually messing up. 

With the AWD system the thresholds are a lot different, almost all AWD systems are some sort of torque sensing systems at the wheels (not sure about the C-HR but currently Toyota has S-VSC+Active Torque Control AWD in most of its crossovers). Thus, the system dynamically and constantly splits the power between the wheels to ensure that the points at which the TRC/VSC will have to intervene and mitigate a slippery situation is reduced; and the vehicle keeps moving. Also, the system helps when actually accelerating (to overtake, pick up on a hill, start from stand-still on slippery surface) as the system engages on kick off. Thus, pulling away is more gradual and sure footed than in a 2WD in rainy, slippery situations.It does make a difference in keeping the rear in tact. If none of these happened and can easily be replicated with TRC and VSC; they would not be manufacturing it because none of these cars are meant to go where Land Cruisers go, would they ? Its not like millions of people are falling in to a con that is AWD as as certain cynically sarcastic comments might suggest . (Granted there would be speed limits at which the system would work but with most current systems if the vehicle is travelling faster than the AWD system can keep the car stable the TRC/VSC will cut it off anyway).

2 hours ago, iRage said:

Apart from the tires, all the situations/scenarios you describe are what you would do (or happen) when you start slipping or trying to avoid a slippery situation right ? i.e. your foot is OFF the gas, you are applying brakes, traction control is kicked in...Yes those things happen...but almost after the fact of the driver messing up and the safety systems trying to save itself or on the verge of actually messing up. 

This is what made me think that AWD system is not that important in our country. I was only thinking dry roads most of the time and occasional rainy days.

12 minutes ago, sathyajithj99 said:

Guys! I am happy to say I sold my good old axio after 7 years of service and bought a 2017 CHR AWD GT yesterday.

I'll update you how it feels after driving it for some time.

Congratulations!  After seeing a few CH-R threads on the forum, I was on the lookout for them on the roads. It looks pretty damn good IMO.

Just pitching in my part. I'd say AWD is always superior to 2WD of compared.

The only reason the industry and the market divides these segments is due to manufacturing costs 

And the consumer level divides this based on maintenance and fuel costs. Pretty much stating the obvious above .

But in all giving thought to safety and utility.

An AWD will be superior provided other parameters are equal.

And of one cam get past the few bucks lost for fuel and maintenance.

And of course if you don't mind losing the RWD spins and roadthrill. 

sathyajith, mate once u find a slippery stretch please do chuck it into AWD , you'll come running with comments to this page!

27 minutes ago, tiv said:

sathyajith, mate once u find a slippery stretch please do chuck it into AWD , you'll come running with comments to this page!

Its full time AWD there is no switch to chuck it in or out and its a single mode system. To be honest you really don't feel the rear engage and disengage...so most people leave with their heads scratching.

Had the Hybrid and the GT for testdrives for a day in Japan....loved them both...the steering is typically Toyota and lacks feel..but the TNGA platform is amazingly direct and chuckable

3 hours ago, kmeeg said:

This is what made me think that AWD system is not that important in our country. I was only thinking dry roads most of the time and occasional rainy days.

This is just one dimension of AWD/4WD. Yes...the facts are true in regards to driving on snow and slippery mud. AWD and even snow tires don't stop you from sliding off or improve cornering or prevent you from digging yourself in. Ask any professional 4WD driver the first thing they will say is that 4WD is just a tool to help you reduce the probability of getting yourself in a "situation". Like the testers in your video itself says...it will help you get going better. Thus, even on wet, slippery roads or windy roads....it will help you get going better which includes adjusting the power delivery to the back or front depending on the traction levels so that the car keeps going, as a result the points at which TRC/VSC/ESC/ESPN/CNN/BBC?etc...gets engaged...changes. AWD will not save you from driving like an in idiot in all and any condition.

Having used a Camry and a Forester in the western snow capital of States and a RAV4 and Allion in Japan during winter..I can say that the AWD vehicles made it through quite a few snowy situations that most sedans could not get through. Yes...my Camry made it up hilly snowy roads with 4ft snow on either side to ski lodges and the Allion made it up hills to get home, however, it was much more harrowing and difficult to get up to those places than in the Forester and the RAV4. A lot of wheel spinning, slower crawl with more over steering. Once I got used to it..then yeah..it was a bit easier. The AWD does significantly reduce the probability of you spinning out because of the power delivery and also because of how the differentials are configured.

As for their testing....its not a very consistent and uniform way of testing to draw a conclusion is it ? Rather than a definitive conclusion of stating that AWD is useless....it is more or less saying not having AWD is NOT the end of the world. But given the option...go for it...I have had AWD/SUVs for the last 18 years....and the utility it provides actually does make you do things you normally wouldn't if you had a sedan.

1 hour ago, Davy said:

Congratulations!  After seeing a few CH-R threads on the forum, I was on the lookout for them on the roads. It looks pretty damn good IMO.

Thanks mate.

1 hour ago, tiv said:

As IRage mentioned it is a full time AWD mate.

20 hours ago, sathyajithj99 said:

Thanks mate.

As IRage mentioned it is a full time AWD mate.

Apologies for my ignorance, I considered this to have an option like older cars. Only way for u to compare is try one without AWD if you get the chance. But be happy you took the wiser option and not a wannabe SUV with 2wd. 

To any reader;  if you get your hands on an older suv / car that allows on the fly switching between 2WD - 4WD / AWD / AWC etc that is centre diff based AWD system safe for tarmac and high speeds. Not in typical 4WD systems!

Do try shifting in between. It gives a clear idea how much of a difference in control you get even if it's a typical bend at 60kmph when u get drive to the front wheels.  

6 hours ago, tiv said:

Apologies for my ignorance, I considered this to have an option like older cars. Only way for u to compare is try one without AWD if you get the chance. But be happy you took the wiser option and not a wannabe SUV with 2wd. 

To any reader;  if you get your hands on an older suv / car that allows on the fly switching between 2WD - 4WD / AWD / AWC etc that is centre diff based AWD system safe for tarmac and high speeds. Not in typical 4WD systems!

Do try shifting in between. It gives a clear idea how much of a difference in control you get even if it's a typical bend at 60kmph when u get drive to the front wheels.  

I do agree for convenience AWD is by far the best vs 4wd systems as you don’t have to do any shifting from 2wd to 4wd. Also AWD does not have any max speed.

But in terms of the feel I’m not sure if you could feel the difference with AWD vs FWD. May be if you drive bit faster on a twisty road on a rainy day I guess. 

The thing is...the average driver is not going to feel that much of a difference mainly because most drivers just are mere spectators in their cars. The system comes on and off quite smoothly and seamlessly that you don't feel any jerks or anything. 

If you want to see its functioning in a rather obvious way you probably will feel it if you just gun it from a stand-still or take it to a gravelly road and gun it; or simply push it a bit more on a windy road. The car sale giving you a test drive might not necessarily appreciate you doing that :D 

16 minutes ago, kmeeg said:

I do agree for convenience AWD is by far the best vs 4wd systems as you don’t have to do any shifting from 2wd to 4wd. Also AWD does not have any max speed.

Not entirely the case and depends on the system. Some systems do have a cut-out at X speed depending on how the system got activated, especially in the older systems. For example, some systems have a lock button to keep the system engaged but it kicks-off when it reaches like 40kmph.... 

Edited by iRage

33 minutes ago, iRage said:

The thing is...the average driver is not going to feel that much of a difference mainly because most drivers just are mere spectators in their cars. The system comes on and off quite smoothly and seamlessly that you don't feel any jerks or anything. 

If you want to see its functioning in a rather obvious way you probably will feel it if you just gun it from a stand-still or take it to a gravelly road and gun it; or simply push it a bit more on a windy road. The car sale giving you a test drive might not necessarily appreciate you doing that :D 

Not entirely the case and depends on the system. Some systems do have a cut-out at X speed depending on how the system got activated, especially in the older systems. For example, some systems have a lock button to keep the system engaged but it kicks-off when it reaches like 40kmph.... 

Yup in both my mitsubishis the max safe speed is 100KMPH in AWD , The ecu doesn't let it Rev further, both have the same SS-II System and the same warning labels

2 hours ago, tiv said:

Yup in both my mitsubishis the max safe speed is 100KMPH in AWD , The ecu doesn't let it Rev further, both have the same SS-II System and the same warning labels

Ohh I didn't know AWD systems have that. Thought only 4WD have it.

4wd.JPG

30 minutes ago, sathyajithj99 said:

Actually the display shows how the power splits among the 4 wheels while driving. 

How-Efficient-is-the-2018-Toyota-C-HR-B1_O.jpg

I hope you are not staring at it whilst driving :D 

Where was your one imported from ? That is not the JDM or UK or AUS or SEA cluster...

Edited by iRage

19 minutes ago, iRage said:

I hope you are not staring at it whilst driving :D 

Where was your one imported from ? That is not the JDM or UK or AUS or SEA cluster...

You are correct as usual iRage.

Yes, this one I downloaded from the net.

No, I'm not staring at it while driving?

3 hours ago, sathyajithj99 said:

Just took a photo of mine ?

IMAG1092.jpg

That look like fun..!! Would be awesome to see how it distributes power to each wheel on a slippery surface like sand or light mud. Definitely don't want to see that beauty scratch taking on a rough road.

11 minutes ago, sathyajithj99 said:

Please someone explain to me the purpose of this red stick which is attached to the floor of front passenger side?

IMAG1096.jpg

Isn't that the flare stick which can be used in an emergency? It's one time use only as I know. 

Btw congrats on your new car. 

Edited by hrm

8 minutes ago, sathyajithj99 said:

Please someone explain to me the purpose of this red stick which is attached to the floor of front passenger side?

IMAG1096.jpg

Congrats on your new car. 

This is an emergency flare.

23 minutes ago, hrm said:

Isn't that the flare stick which can be used in an emergency? It's one time use only as I know. 

Btw congrats on your new car. 

23 minutes ago, matroska said:

Congrats on your new car. 

This is an emergency flare.

Thanks guys. Didn't know that.?