• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota CHR 2WD or 4WD

Ash123

8 hours ago, iRage said:

Did a quick search..seems to go both ways....some have the glue, some plastic and some nothing. and these are all filters which Toyota themselves give. Denso and DriveJoy (in Japan we do not usually get the Toyota box or anything of the sort..we get the supplier box with a Toyota sticker on top). However, if you go to a third party parts shop then you get the Toyota boxed one. There seems to be questions being raised as to why the material color is different for the replacement DENSO filter. Interesting.

But still if this is an original filter...will the glue melt away like that ?

Bit of search for the part number 17801-77050 looks like the product in the market is similar to the faulty one. Perhaps all are counterfeits. It looks better to go for a VIC like after market one. Again, we cannot gurantee the how genuine the aftermarket one as well. 

These idiots make the life so difficult........finally agent would be the best bet.....

By the way, I can't understand the purpose of having the glue strip. Perhaps to strengthen the filter as it does not physically divide the filter to two portions :) 

Oh sorry, I missed Keemag's comment....it may be for that purpose for some other models...

Edited by vitz

17 minutes ago, vitz said:

By the way, I can't understand the purpose of having the glue strip. Perhaps to strengthen the filter as it does not physically divide the filter to two portions :) 

I think it's to provide a bit of ridigity so the pleats don't move or deform when the engine is under load ( there's quite a bit of suction at full throttle). 

(I remember some time ago I was changing filters and fluids on an older car I had bought, and when I pulled the filter out it was clear it hadn't been changed in a while as the airfilter was so clogged it had bent / warped towards the direction of the airflow. The silicone strip / glue strip helps prevent this I believe)

Edited by Kavvz

2 hours ago, Kavvz said:

I've had filters with a glue strip in the middle over the pleats too.

I think it's part of a newer (cheaper to manufacture) design as I don't recall it being the case before. (Before I remember the filter had a thick silicone strip around the exterior of the paper pleats and through in the middle holding everything in place and the last set of filters I bought just had a strip of a clear glue / silicone on the middle of the pleats as pictured above, to hold everything in place. The new design looks flimsier but as the airbox supports the filter anyway I guess it gets the job done, and if the same job can be done with less material, then it's a win for the environment so: I figure it's all good! 

But anyways since the change to the new design, I've never had a problem with the glue stip (it looks more like its a form of resin or silicone rather than glue) coming off or melting. So unfortunately I would say this filter was not upto standard  and probably fake....?

I agree it's a counterfeit... see the difference especially the numbering (genuine one clipped from a video showing the filter removal of a brand new corolla!!!) and t the strip (glue or silicone or whatever :), is quite thin.

image.png.e982a85cd9f5c428a4746904bac86891.pngimage.png.383506c5a40fde6f63ae142d07d17c7d.png

Edited by vitz

27 minutes ago, vitz said:

I agree it's a counterfeit... see the difference especially the numbering (genuine one clipped from a video showing the filter removal of a brand new corolla!!!) and t the strip (glue or silicone or whatever :), is quite thin.

Wonder how to verify if its genuine or fake. When I removed mine the glue strip seem to be thin too.

AirfilterCapture.JPG