• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Changing Left hand drive to right hand.

Iqbal

24 minutes ago, Iqbal said:

I wish expert comments from members of this automobile forum about bring in a car with left hand drive, used in a Gulf country to Sri Lanka after changing the side, the steering wheel and accessories etc.

Rethink bringing it down...because of the prevailing duty structure (based on engine capacity with no depreciation table, etc..) you will be paying the same amount of import duty as for a brand new vehicle...on top of that you will have to pay  for the conversion....you can find a newer car for the same price (or even lesser).

• Like 1

Last I remember seeing updates on LHD vehicle imports  to SL, the legal structure was so strict, that it made it impossible to comply .

So, why bother to re-invent the wheel?

Edited by Twin Turbo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Iqbal said:

I heard, they bring in the RH units and fix in Dubai before export. 

It used to be that you can clear it with permission from the RMV under the condition that it must be converted prior to registration. No idea what has happened to the regulation now. Yes..you can get it converted in Dubai and ship it over. There is also a Sri Lankan firm that does RHD conversions for re-export...not sure but I heard that they too can handle it..were they bring in the car..convert and then hand it over to customs for you to clear it. The thing is all this costs alot. Also, you will pay a lot of import taxes. When you put all these costs together it really is not worth bringing the car down unless it is some kind of rare vehicle (or has some strong sentimental value). 

For average cars....you are more than likely going to find the same car for the same prize and at times maybe even lower.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, iRage said:

It used to be that you can clear it with permission from the RMV under the condition that it must be converted prior to registration. No idea what has happened to the regulation now. Yes..you can get it converted in Dubai and ship it over. There is also a Sri Lankan firm that does RHD conversions for re-export...not sure but I heard that they too can handle it..were they bring in the car..convert and then hand it over to customs for you to clear it. The thing is all this costs alot. Also, you will pay a lot of import taxes. When you put all these costs together it really is not worth bringing the car down unless it is some kind of rare vehicle (or has some strong sentimental value). 

For average cars....you are more than likely going to find the same car for the same prize and at times maybe even lower.

Yes, thanks a lot for your valuable suggestions and comments. It is clear, I too heard same from many friends who worked here before. they too have tried same but later given up considering the pros and cons.