• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota Vitz 2016 Vs Kia Picanto 2017

MRF

Dear Members,

I am looking to buy my first car and has a budget of 3.8 Mn Max. I am not impressed with an idea of buying a vehicle used for 5 or more years. And also would avoid hybrids as of now.

After a decent amount of online search keeping in mind my budget, I have shortlisted two models.

A reconditioned Toyota Vitz 2015 or 2016

Brand new Kia Picanto 2017

I really care about the performance, safety, look, reliability, maintenance, and resale value. In terms of fuel economy, I would be happy as long as the vehicle gives close to 9/10 Ltr mileage in the city driving.

My Requirement is to drive in Colombo daily 25 Km and to outstation 600 KM (Round trip in 3 or 4 Days) once in a month or two. 

In terms of exterior look, Toyota Vitz is the winner for me. On the interior, Picanto wins.

With Vitz, the reliability, performance, safety and resale value aspects seem to be better than the Picanto. Picanto, on the other hand, comes with a 5-year warranty which is very attractive and provide a peace of mind (when compared to the fact that you have to rely on the informal imports with regard to Vitz). For my budget, I would be able to get the highest grade Picanto available in SL with all safety features given.

It would be really helpful if the members could advise me to help make a better decision. Also, suggest any options other than the models I have shortlisted.

I read a lot of good comments from the members on the Picanto, but couldn't locate any comparison like Vitz Vs. Picanto. 

Please Help!

Thank You

Edited by MRF
Type

I suggest you go with the Vitz as most of the mechanical are from the older version and they are very reliable. 5 year warranty of the Picanto looks attractive however in your case it may not matter too much.

Both cars are very safe, Vitz may be little more as it will have curtain air bags and traction control which the Picanto does not have.

Vitz have more room inside especially on the rear seats.

Vitz may be marginally more economical due to more advance engine and the CVT gearbox

Picanto will be more fun to drive.

New tax system has reduced the price of the Vitz substantially this is the good time to buy.

Vitz will have better resale when you want to sell

I opted for a Picanto year back as the price difference was over Rs. 1.0 Mn. at the time.

• Like 1

"I really care about the performance, safety, look, reliability, maintenance, and resale value."

Those requirements are contradictory. Performance, Safety & looks don't always come coupled with other factors.

I had the same amount of cash about a year ago and after so much research I decided throwing 4 mil at a 3 cylinder boring hatchback is waste of money. 

I finally got a 10 year old 1800 cc Japanese sedan lol. Maybe a failed investment but nothing can beat the satisfaction you get while driving it :D

Edited by Jason_Bourne
  • Like 3

I've been using Vitz 2007 for last 3 years and I never had any major problem still. I drive to work every day and have taken the car for long distance (Jaffna & Trincomalee) on a couple of instances. The car never let me down. In Sri Lanka, people will close their eye and buy Toyota in 2nd hand market lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your comments Jason_Bourne and Seeker LK

Actually, I made the decision to go for a Vitz. However the problem for me now is, the vehicles available (unregistered) for my budget (3.8 Mn incl full Insurance) are 2015 and 2016 manufactured ones which come with quite a high KMs on the clock (25K to 40K).

Will I have to spend on costs such as tyre change and full service etc soon after the vehicle is purchased?. How to make sure the vehicle is accident-free as it has been on the road at least for a year.

I also could find low mileage ones from some car sales, but I have serious doubt about the genuineness of such records. Is there a transparent way to check the accuracy of odometer?

Is Vitz still recommended in light of these confusions and uncertainties?

Hope AL members will be able to help me. Highly appreciate your thoughts. 

1 hour ago, MRF said:

Will I have to spend on costs such as tyre change and full service etc soon after the vehicle is purchased?

well that depends on the specimen you get - are you going to import one ? You can always check the auction sheets. But you will not know if the vehicle's been on the road for the last year. 

1 hour ago, MRF said:

I also could find low mileage ones from some car sales, but I have serious doubt about the genuineness of such records. Is there a transparent way to check the accuracy of odometer?

Well the car-sale ones are the dodgiest tbh. Look there are hundreds of folk who import :your best bet would be to talk to a few friends who've imported vehicles and source an honest trustworthy importer(easier said than done ? ) and get him to bring one down. 

1 hour ago, MRF said:

Well if you are concerned on re-sale value (an aspect that's fast diminishing in the local automobile scene) and if you're after a simple and easy-to-maintain vehicle with decent space and if you can live with a 1L engine - yes. I have been in a few vitzes of late and tbh they're much better than the previous generation of vacuum cleaner-like cars. 

It is sad when people think that 25K or 40K is a high mileage. It is not....it is average....a 3 year old car doing that much means it was used normally. this whole high mileage and cars reaching 50K or 100K is doom and gloom is simply ridiculous. It is mostly cheap-skates who are scared of high mileage cars because god forbid if they have to actually do anything more than pump petrol and change oil every 10,000km (with the cheapest possible oil).

Whether it would need tires or not...well inspect the tires and see if they are worn out and if it needs replacing...if it looks like they re worn out..use it for negotiating the price. 

Every car has a manufacturer's service plan at different mileages. So yes...you do need to plan on doing those after you buy it. Again...you could use them as negotiating points.

As for low mileage ones....they are hard to trust in SL....only time I would trust it is if I saw the car in Japan whilst it was still being owned by a Japanese party whilst all registration/inspection details are valid with the authorities (changing anything about the car whilst the records are active is a criminal offense in Japan).Our car sales people mess around with mileages right from their yards in Japan to their showrooms in SL.  So even if you buy a low mileage car in SL....plan on doing the recommended services of the "high" mileage vehicle.

To be honest...I personally believe the 25K cars are a bit more trustworthy than the low mileage car.

The facts about the Vitz still remain irrespective of mileage; because the services and other maintenance requirements still remain (especially within the mileage range you are talking about).

What makes it doubtful is the honesty of the car sales people and what they have hidden...and that again has nothing to do with mileage. So...whateer you buy, irrespective of the age

2 hours ago, matroska said:

?

I have been in a few vitzes of late and tbh they're much better than the previous generation of vacuum cleaner-like cars. 

:D True that second gen was not a looker at all but I have great respect for that being a humble and trustworthy companion. I think 3rd gen should be even better. Flip side is these unrealistic prices of being a Toyota.

57 minutes ago, hrm said:

:D True that second gen was not a looker at all but I have great respect for that being a humble and trustworthy companion. I think 3rd gen should be even better. Flip side is these unrealistic prices of being a Toyota.

yeah it's a solid  car but the looks on the first two vitzes were not good at all. But the current one looks and feels quite better - im impressed by the amount of space inside as well as how well put together it is. 

On 7/19/2018 at 8:46 AM, MRF said:

Thanks for your comments Jason_Bourne and Seeker LK

Actually, I made the decision to go for a Vitz. However the problem for me now is, the vehicles available (unregistered) for my budget (3.8 Mn incl full Insurance) are 2015 and 2016 manufactured ones which come with quite a high KMs on the clock (25K to 40K).

Will I have to spend on costs such as tyre change and full service etc soon after the vehicle is purchased?. How to make sure the vehicle is accident-free as it has been on the road at least for a year.

Hi,

Just sharing how I went through my purchase. Whether it's a Vitz or something else the process should be the same.

1. Do NOT ever believe the odometer reading of a car in SL. Our guys are known for tampering even very recent high tech cars(Toyotas are the easiest to tamper, But I've seen tampered Beemers and Mercs. Further I've seen Peugeots' with modern BSI systems getting their ODO altered)
Only way to be sure of the mileage is DOCUMENTAION!. 

Emission Testing Certificates

Service Records with the Dealer or a reputed garage

are the only proof of mileage I believe. Others even the Auction Certificates, JAAI are mostly FAKE in SL.

2. If the car has been serviced and maintained at right intervals even 100K kilometers is nothing for a Toyota or a Honda. I got my Honda at 80K and one year later it still runs like new. These motors are designed from factory to last upwards of 200K without an overhaul even in most punishing conditions.

So if you chose a Toyota or a Honda don't be afraid of high mileage. Be afraid of improper maintenance by Makabas types instead.

3. The only way to confirm  mechanical condition of a car is by inspection.

Probably by a professional.  If you know a trusted Garage Guy take him with you and let him inspect & decide. 

Toyota, Stafford or even CarChecks provide vehicle inspection reports at a fairly decent price. If you select a car to buy, do an inspection before payment. 
When I said I'm gonna do an inspection at Stafford 2 owners got panicked and tried to avoid the inspection. Both cars came out with "Frontal Accident" in the inspection report :D 

The car I purchased, the owner was even ready to show me an inspection report with his money. I knew the guy was genuine from that point and inspection report came with 98% mechanical integrity. ;) 

Edited by Jason_Bourne

4 hours ago, MRF said:

Thank You so much Jason_Bourne

On the Vitz selected, I have already booked an inspection at Toyota Lanka. The dealer is ok with it. Let's see how the report comes. 

Consider also taking it to a third party "car check" place. Last time I went there personally and my friends used TL, they only checked for outward visible damage for accidents.