• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Audi A1 or the Honda civic 2018 hatch

Pras0006

Question

Hi guys.. i am not a car expert but couldnt decide between the Audi A1 2018 or the honda civic 2018 hatch back. I live in nuwaraeliya and is it suitable for hill stations. The roads are fine hear and i will not be riding on a rugged road too.

• Like 1

20 answers to this question

Big time Audi fan / Owner. But the A1 is a POS on wheels! Just a fancy Alto with the badges on! (Iv had one as a rental in UK) The civic is much better than the A1.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I am not sure you can compare the new Civic with the A1, both are totally different sizes, category and pricing. If you really want to stack it up, it should probably be the A3 hatch againts the Civic hatch/sportsback. The Civic probably is roomier, wider and longer with a larger foot print and a bigger boot than the A3 hatch but  similarly if not closely priced.

Two different classes of car with a steep price difference. If you’re ok with a smaller size and are just confused about the engine capacity being the same as in the Civic, just pick the A1. Don’t assume the smaller size of the A1 will make it quicker than the Civic; it doesn’t and is slower. If you want better road grip, get the Civic as it hugs the ground well. That said, it is a wider body with 17” wheels so your turning radius will increase. If you start factoring in longevity and road-grip plus if you’re willing to dish out the extra cash, pick the Civic. Obviously if you add comfort, maintenance cost and features into the mix, you’re going to lean further towards the Civic. I had a hard time myself choosing between a Q2 and the Civic. Ended up getting the latter with the Tech pack add-on.

Oh and by the way, I did hear that DriveOne doesn’t bring down spares for the A1 so god help you if you’re in need of some tiny sensor or whatever’s replacement should it occur sometime down the line.

On 7/1/2018 at 1:46 AM, Pras0006 said:

Hi guys.. i am not a car expert but couldnt decide between the Audi A1 2018 or the honda civic 2018 hatch back. I live in nuwaraeliya and is it suitable for hill stations. The roads are fine hear and i will not be riding on a rugged road too.

As many have mentioned they are not in the same class. But me personally I would go for the honda civic. I feel more dependable and practical in a civic. Also thinking about the maintenance (Service, parts, any repair cost in long run) I would pick the civic,  

Civic  gives more value for money than A1/A3. But ground clearance is low in Civic and may experience some practical issues when driving in sub-urban and rural areas. Also I experienced a Turbo lag in Civic 1L Turbo. A1/A3 has edge over Civic in handling and driving pleasure. Civic has more space than A1 and A3 Sportback. 

13 hours ago, misnad said:

Oh and by the way, I did hear that DriveOne doesn’t bring down spares for the A1 so god help you if you’re in need of some tiny sensor or whatever’s replacement should it occur sometime down the line. 

you always have eBay..

Edited by vag2

1 hour ago, vag2 said:

you always have eBay..

If I am not mistaken Audi A1 is available from 2011. Civic 1L was started manufacturing from 2017 and it is an European model. Therefore it would be much easier to find used parts for A1 than the Civic 1L.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ChamaraW said:

If I am not mistaken Audi A1 is available from 2011. Civic 1L was started manufacturing from 2017 and it is an European model. Therefore it would be much easier to find used parts for A1 than the Civic 1L.

I just did an online comparison with the new 1L turbo and somewhat older 1.5L turbo, apart from the engine many of the specs seems to be same. So I would guess 1L turbo is sharing most from the older platform. So would guess it won't be hard to get parts. like suspension parts, break parts, even the fuel tank seems to be same (http://www.sgcarmart.com/new_cars/newcars_specs.php?CarCode=12120).

My opinion is in the long run it wont be hard to find parts for a civic. Even the small part shops will have parts for civic. (Just my opinion)

3 hours ago, kmeeg said:

My opinion is in the long run it wont be hard to find parts for a civic. Even the small part shops will have parts for civic. (Just my opinion

would be true if the civic was a JDM . But the 1L civic is the little brother of the 2L type-R civic. The TypeR engine was developed in Germany,and the manufactured in UK. So not much difference would exist to the European made A1 in my opinion when it comes to parts availability.

Civic is horrible when it comes to power. Pulling power is very poor. I have been using a SR 1000 hatch for last 5 months and very unsatisfied with its engine power and comfort. Went to Kandy twise and suffered badly at kaduganawa since the car was crying with lack of power. Any way SR got bunch of features available.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Civic las said:

Civic is horrible when it comes to power. Pulling power is very poor.

the new generation Civic(after 2015) is using German Direct injection system with Turbocharging  used in many European models like Audi,Seat,Peugeots. So its quite powerful,even the 1L 3Cyl engines.

If it’s a choice between an only car and a second car, it will be wise to choose the civic as the only car and the Audi for the second. It’s just too small for the 4 ring badge imho . Performance wise either will be fine. The little more you will spend on the civic will give you a lot more value in terms of space , features , some models even have adaptive dampers as well ( A feature only which a couple of high end models of superior Marques offered some time ago). 

But if it was a second car , I wouldn’t look elsewhere than the Audi , especially the 2 door variant ?

• Like 1

On 7/11/2018 at 1:00 PM, dantoddd said:

I have an A1. I like it very much. I'd say the civic is probably a more comfortable vehicle with a lot more amenities. But it's about 1.5 million more. Also there is new A1 that's coming out look for 2019 A1 online u'll get a lot of info.

2019 is out and it looks awesome. got a quote for 6.3 mil. it think its a bit high for a small hatch back... well its a bit longer than the old A1 i think..

3 hours ago, charithtg said:

2019 is out and it looks awesome. got a quote for 6.3 mil. it think its a bit high for a small hatch back... well its a bit longer than the old A1 i think..

Not too bad for a premium euro hatch when a Vitz cost Rs. 4.6 Mn. and a Swift over Rs. 5.0 Mn.

• Like 1

I was recently faced with a similar decision; choose between the Civic Sedan and the Audi A3 Sedan.

I drove both these cars. And for context, I was using a 2011 Civic FD3 for 6 years prior to this. For me, the new Civics interior felt like a downgrade compared to that of the FD series. It felt like the inside of any other 'millennial' generation car and which didn't have any unique identity or premium feel for that matter.

Aside from that the Civic was rich in features. It probably carries a few more gizmos you probably would never use, but all grades come loaded with Honda Sensing (auto break, adaptive cruise control, etc etc). Audi A1/A3 does not come with the safety equivalent Audi Pre Sense. 

Performance wise, both cars felt pretty much about the same. Both had 3 Cylinder 1 liter turbos that were quite peppy and fun to drive with. But the handling, ride quality and comfort in the Audi was far more superior to that of the Civic. Now I've never driven an A1, but I assume it would have the same premium ride quality feel as the A3. In the end I went with the A3 over the Civic and it wasn't a difficult choice.

I would suggest you test drive both these cars to get a first hand feel before choosing either. In your case however, keep in mind that the Civic and the A1 are not in the same competing category; Civic has more features, bigger passenger space and better exterior looks (subjective). 

Honda Civic 1.0 VTEC vs Audi A3 hatch 1.0 tfsi would have been the correct comparison.

Sent from my SM-N950F using AutoLanka.com mobile app powered by Tapatalk