• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Buying BMW 318i 2018

Odindu

Question

Hi,

I'm planning to buy the new BMW 318i 1.5l turbocharged one.

Is it worth the price ? 

How about the performance of the car ?

Anyone owning the car.. If so what's your opinion ?

And.. what's the best to import ? Australian spec M sport one or the Luxury line ? 

Thanks in advance ? Your opinions are appreciated

Edited by Odindu
  • Like 1

4 answers to this question

Depending on your budget, the Audi A4 which I bought in February, seems more worth. The 3 series is yet to be updated to the new generation so you're basically buying a car that is close to being outdated (7th Gen). Its hard to say the same with the Mercedes C Class(4th Gen) and the Jag XE which are (if I'm not mistaken) halfway through their generation timeline. Whereas this A4 is the latest generation (5th gen).

Also Audi is owned by the VW group, which consist of Lamborghini, Porsche etc. So you're getting amazing tech inside. So an Audi A4 with a 1.6 litre engine might have more comforts and luxuries than a BMW 318i. Due to how Car prices in SL are based a lot on hype and other bullshit, Audi's are fortunately priced a little bit lower than BMWs, Mercs and Jags. 

But if you do chose to go for the BMW, go for the M Sport if you want a more superficial look (mainly on the exterior), or the Lux package if you want more practical intrinsic comforts. Don't go for 316i, the engine might burn more fuel ironically because of the power to weight ratio. Please correct me if I'm wrong. 

Cheers!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, shArk said:

Also Audi is owned by the VW group, which consist of Lamborghini, Porsche etc. So you're getting amazing tech inside

means also that they know how to cut costs by means of parts sharing and common platforms with low cost brands like VW,Seat,Skoda. Can go both ways for the end-user, since BMW and Mercs have no low-cost brands and have to always give the best and proven technologies. The unique but problematic pump duse-injectors and recent emissions scandals are some examples.

Edited by ajm
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ajm said:

means also that they know how to cut costs by means of parts sharing and common platforms with low cost brands like VW,Seat,Skoda. Can go both ways for the end-user, since BMW and Mercs have no low-cost brands and have to always give the best and proven technologies. The unique but problematic pump duse-injectors and recent emissions scandals are some examples.

Not anymore BMW (1,2 series) Merc. (A, B class) vehicles have cut corners too you will know the difference when you get in to one.

I would suggest A4 (1.4L) over 3 series (1.5L) for

BMW is 3 cylinder 134 Bhp vs Audi 4 cylinder 148 Bhp and VW group 1.4L is one of the sweetest engines around

BMW 3 will soon be replaced your car will be outdated in no time.

I would also look at the face lifted C200 soon to be launched in SL

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, shArk said:

Depending on your budget, the Audi A4 which I bought in February, seems more worth. The 3 series is yet to be updated to the new generation so you're basically buying a car that is close to being outdated (7th Gen). Its hard to say the same with the Mercedes C Class(4th Gen) and the Jag XE which are (if I'm not mistaken) halfway through their generation timeline. Whereas this A4 is the latest generation (5th gen).

Also Audi is owned by the VW group, which consist of Lamborghini, Porsche etc. So you're getting amazing tech inside. So an Audi A4 with a 1.6 litre engine might have more comforts and luxuries than a BMW 318i. Due to how Car prices in SL are based a lot on hype and other bullshit, Audi's are fortunately priced a little bit lower than BMWs, Mercs and Jags. 

But if you do chose to go for the BMW, go for the M Sport if you want a more superficial look (mainly on the exterior), or the Lux package if you want more practical intrinsic comforts. Don't go for 316i, the engine might burn more fuel ironically because of the power to weight ratio. Please correct me if I'm wrong. 

Cheers!

Cant agree more. My friend bought the 3 series while i bought the Audi. Marked difference in appearance, options and performance, Only thing is i would not know the resale value.

• Thanks 1