• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota vios oil bulb on and off

ThushanthaSrimal

Question

My car is vios 2007 gen 1.2 - not belta vios

It ran perfectly and now the oil bulb lights up after some drive. 

When I stop and re start the engine it dont light up suddenly. And again after some run it gets blink and goes off. But some times it comes back.

What could be the issue. Can it be a sluge problem. Or the problem in the pressure sensor. 

I did a oil change recenlty. This happens after that.

Oil used caltex super +40

Can anyone help...

Edited by ThushanthaSrimal

16 answers to this question

2 hours ago, invisibleuser said:

Hi All,

Sorry for asking another question in the thread. I also having similar kind of problem. My one is vios 2003 model and since yesterday heat bulb blinking time to time.  coolant level not reduced and radiator fan also working. What would be the problem? Thanks

check the coolant temperature sensor

Edited by jmzsl
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Davy said:

Care to share why you think the ECT sensor is related to oil pressure?

On 7/11/2018 at 8:35 AM, invisibleuser said:

Hi All,

Sorry for asking another question in the thread. I also having similar kind of problem. My one is vios 2003 model and since yesterday heat bulb blinking time to time.  coolant level not reduced and radiator fan also working. What would be the problem? Thanks

I was answered to this question not OP's

Yes the mechanic I went see also said about checking the oil pressure switch. 

Now this problem has gone away. No more oil bulb lights up.

That mechanic also sail that even though the oil bulb not lighting up there may be some parts of the engine not getting lubricated well enough due to sludge issue. Can this be true.

And also he said that Toyota oil is the cause of the sludge issue. He said to use another oil instead of Toyota oil. Is this true? 

1 hour ago, ThushanthaSrimal said:

Yes the mechanic I went see also said about checking the oil pressure switch. 

That mechanic also sail that even though the oil bulb not lighting up there may be some parts of the engine not getting lubricated well enough due to sludge issue. Can this be true.

And also he said that Toyota oil is the cause of the sludge issue. He said to use another oil instead of Toyota oil. Is this true? 

I do not think the sludge issue is due to Toyota oil. It is the result of not changing the oil on time. In fact if the recommended service interval is on the basis of 5000km or 6 months whichever comes first, you can stick to it provided 80% of your drive is out of city limits or on express ways. Like me if your daily drive is 80% in city limits then you should change your oil well before you reach 5000km mark. Once for years I as driving a distance of 10km  but it took more than 45 minutes.  Under such conditions you should change oil after 3000kms.

As for the question whether there is a sludge formation in the engine, just check the OCV screen (filter) - a small filter 8mm dia X 30mm length - to get an idea. If  the OCV is clean enough then that's an indication that you need not worry about it. Cleaning sludge is an extensive (and expensive) job if done properly (do not believe in those oil flushing) Do a few frequent oil changes (say in 2000km or so) and you should be OK.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2018 at 2:00 PM, ThushanthaSrimal said:

I did a oil change recenlty. This happens after that.

3 hours ago, ThushanthaSrimal said:

Hope you washed the engine bay during oil change. Probably loose wire connection (or water inside the clamps) bothered you. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Rumesh88 said:

I do not think the sludge issue is due to Toyota oil. It is the result of not changing the oil on time. In fact if the recommended service interval is on the basis of 5000km or 6 months whichever comes first, you can stick to it provided 80% of your drive is out of city limits or on express ways. Like me if your daily drive is 80% in city limits then you should change your oil well before you reach 5000km mark. Once for years I as driving a distance of 10km  but it took more than 45 minutes.  Under such conditions you should change oil after 3000kms.

As for the question whether there is a sludge formation in the engine, just check the OCV screen (filter) - a small filter 8mm dia X 30mm length - to get an idea. If  the OCV is clean enough then that's an indication that you need not worry about it. Cleaning sludge is an extensive (and expensive) job if done properly (do not believe in those oil flushing) Do a few frequent oil changes (say in 2000km or so) and you should be OK.

Thanks buddy. Yes I'm going to change the oil after some run.

Now I'm using caltex super +40 oil. Is this oil is good? it is lot more cheaper(Rs 2800/=) than Toyota or Havoline oil(around Rs 4000+).  

1 hour ago, ThushanthaSrimal said:

Thanks buddy. Yes I'm going to change the oil after some run.

Now I'm using caltex super +40 oil. Is this oil is good? it is lot more cheaper(Rs 2800/=) than Toyota or Havoline oil(around Rs 4000+).  

Hope you refer "Caltex Lanka Super Plus SAE 40". It may cheap because its mono grade. No issue using monograde oil in SL. 

However, its Performance grade is API-SJ and I have a doubt whether your engine needs higher grade than that. 

What is your engine model? 1.5 L 1NZFE?

• Like 1

On 7/13/2018 at 3:52 PM, gayanath said:

Hope you refer "Caltex Lanka Super Plus SAE 40". It may cheap because its mono grade. No issue using monograde oil in SL. 

However, its Performance grade is API-SJ and I have a doubt whether your engine needs higher grade than that. 

What is your engine model? 1.5 L 1NZFE?

Then engine number says 1.5L 1NZX

I think this is the same engine as in axio, yaris and 121 apart from the capacity.