• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Rat protection devices for vehicles

Aravinda_2011

Question

While I was in kia service centre they said there is a small electric device that can fix in to your battery to transmit a very low frequency which protect your vehicle from rats. 

They further said, you can buy from Darley road or some vehicle shops. But I tried couple of places in Darley but couldn't find. 

Can anyone help me to find who experience of such device ?

7 answers to this question

Well, use this then.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GENUINE-HONDA-ACURA-RODENT-RAT-MICE-MOUSE-PROOF-ELECTRICAL-TAPE-4019-2317-/291726407330

For sale is a new roll of Honda Rodent Tape.  Have mice, squirrels, rats, or other animals chewing your wires?  They like the soybean based insulation on automotive / RV wiring.  This is electrical tape with capsaicin to prevent them from chewing again.  Has many uses, not limited to cars.  RV's Boats, trailers.  Anywhere you might have rodents that can chew your wires or hoses. 

After repairing or replacing the harness, wrap some of that tape around the affected area. It's got capsaicin, the stuff that puts the fire in a bowl of five-alarm chili. This should keep any critters from causing future problems.

When wrapping the harness, use the method we refer to as half-wrapping. Each time you wrap the tape around the harness, overlap the layer you just did by half the width of the tape.

6 hours ago, Twin Turbo said:

Cheaper , more effective alternative awailable, it 's call'd a cat.

It's an unreliable option. Cat's have their own morals and principles. I remember a particular cat we had that suddenly decided not to kill anything and rats would just run around merrily.

Mort*in have these rat kill block thingies. Those are quite effective. Whenever theres a rat around i just keep them outside within a day the rats disappear along with the blocks.

Edited by matroska

3 hours ago, matroska said:

It's an unreliable option. Cat's have their own morals and principles. I remember a particular cat we had that suddenly decided not to kill anything and rats would just run around merrily.

Mort*in have these rat kill block thingies. Those are quite effective. Whenever theres a rat around i just keep them outside within a day the rats disappear along with the blocks.

Quite effective but they contain Brodifacoum which remains potent inside the dead rat for around 4-5 months... 

Moreover, it kills the rat slowly and it dies in pain.

Quoted from Wikipedia:

Brodifacoum is a highly lethal 4-hydroxycoumarin vitamin K antagonist anticoagulant poison.

Anticoagulants are defined as chronic (death occurs one to two weeks after ingestion of the lethal dose, rarely sooner), single-dose (second generation) or multiple-dose (first generation) rodenticides, acting by effective blocking of the vitamin K cycle, resulting in an inability to produce essential blood-clotting factors.

In addition to this specific metabolic disruption, massive toxic doses of 4-hydroxycoumarin anticoagulants cause damage to tiny blood vessels (capillaries), increasing their permeability, causing internal bleeding. These effects are gradual, developing over several days. In the final phase of the intoxication, the exhausted rodent collapses due to hemorrhagic shock or severe anemia and dies calmly. The question of whether the use of these rodenticides can be considered humane has been raised.

14 hours ago, Hyaenidae said:

Quite effective but they contain Brodifacoum which remains potent inside the dead rat for around 4-5 months... 

Moreover, it kills the rat slowly and it dies in pain.

Quoted from Wikipedia:

Brodifacoum is a highly lethal 4-hydroxycoumarin vitamin K antagonist anticoagulant poison.

Anticoagulants are defined as chronic (death occurs one to two weeks after ingestion of the lethal dose, rarely sooner), single-dose (second generation) or multiple-dose (first generation) rodenticides, acting by effective blocking of the vitamin K cycle, resulting in an inability to produce essential blood-clotting factors.

In addition to this specific metabolic disruption, massive toxic doses of 4-hydroxycoumarin anticoagulants cause damage to tiny blood vessels (capillaries), increasing their permeability, causing internal bleeding. These effects are gradual, developing over several days. In the final phase of the intoxication, the exhausted rodent collapses due to hemorrhagic shock or severe anemia and dies calmly. The question of whether the use of these rodenticides can be considered humane has been raised.

Yeah it does contain Bromadiolone which very much like brodifacoum is an anticoagulant - and while the period is slightly lesser than for brodifacoum it still has the same terrible effect on the unfortunate rats.  However interestingly I have never seen a dead rat within the premises within hours of keeping the poison cube. Only once I came across a stunned looking rat walking away from where i had kept the poision never to be seen again i guess they run toward the open areas. 

It's a nasty thing to do but i have tried humane methods such as cages and releasing them only for them to return to using a more natural method of cats (who btw are utterly useless in my experience - we had a dog who was more effective than cats) but given the risk of fire due to electrical cables being chewed by them to rabies, and rat-fever ( a friends father died due to this and believe me it was a painful end) i'd chose to poison a rat once in a while for the safety of my family members anytime. BTW Overall cleanliness will reduce the frequency of these fellows visiting - as I have noticed that there are much less rats where i live since the premises itself and overall neighborhood is also rather clean. 

Edited by matroska