• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Manual Airconditon

Sorry if its a funny question. 

This is my first car so please forgive me if this is stupid. 

Just want to know is it nessecarry to switch on & off the manual ac everytime the vehicle is switched on and off or is it okay to operate it with the key,That is let it be switched on always so it starts & switches off whenever the vehilce is started ?

What is the right practice that wouldnt harm the vehicle ?

Not necessary on modern vehicles. When the engine is being cranked, power to accessory circuits are cut off momentarily until you let go of the key (or while the starter motor is trying to crank the engine).

Also, on older cars, I used to make it a point to switch off the AC (blower still on) about a couple of minutes away from my destination in an attempt to get any condensation to evaporate from the AC system. For older cars where evaporators were made out of steel, this made sense because it prevents corrosion from condensation sitting on the evaporator. But on newer cars, they're all aluminium and plastic, so little room for corrosion.

2 minutes ago, Davy said:

I used to make it a point to switch off the AC (blower still on) about a couple of minutes away from my destination in an attempt to get any condensation to evaporate from the AC system. For older cars where evaporators were made out of steel, this made sense because it prevents corrosion from condensation sitting on the evaporator. But on newer cars, they're all aluminium and plastic, so little room for corrosion.

Since the question has been answered I'm gonna hijack the thread for a bit - @Davy , there's a funny sort of smell coming off the AC every time the car started in the morning, it goes away after a minute or two. Not a bad smell, (Kinda good actually) but it smells nonetheless. Could this be mould formation or something of that sort? What should I do about it?

1 minute ago, Hyaenidae said:

Since the question has been answered I'm gonna hijack the thread for a bit - @Davy , there's a funny sort of smell coming off the AC every time the car started in the morning, it goes away after a minute or two. Not a bad smell, (Kinda good actually) but it smells nonetheless. Could this be mould formation or something of that sort? What should I do about it?

I'd start off by getting the pollen filter checked out and replaced. It's behind the glove box. So you need to just remove a small tab to unlock the glove box and then look for a small black flap covering the pollen filter chamber (horizontally oriented). Take it out very carefully as there could be a lot of dust and pollen accumulated on it. If it's dirty, just replace it with a new one. 

10 minutes ago, Davy said:

I'd start off by getting the pollen filter checked out and replaced. It's behind the glove box. So you need to just remove a small tab to unlock the glove box and then look for a small black flap covering the pollen filter chamber (horizontally oriented). Take it out very carefully as there could be a lot of dust and pollen accumulated on it. If it's dirty, just replace it with a new one. 

Dang, I replaced the pollen filter a year ago... haven't run atleast 5k kms since.

http://www.elakiri.com/forum/showpost.php?p=22193071&postcount=4701

I'll check it out when I get home today

Edited by Hyaenidae

On 6/27/2018 at 10:24 AM, Davy said:

Not necessary on modern vehicles. When the engine is being cranked, power to accessory circuits are cut off momentarily until you let go of the key (or while the starter motor is trying to crank the engine).

Also, on older cars, I used to make it a point to switch off the AC (blower still on) about a couple of minutes away from my destination in an attempt to get any condensation to evaporate from the AC system. For older cars where evaporators were made out of steel, this made sense because it prevents corrosion from condensation sitting on the evaporator. But on newer cars, they're all aluminium and plastic, so little room for corrosion.

Right.thank you.