• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

R Graded car in Japanese auctions

Noob-J

Question

Hi Guys,

I'm a complete noob and I need some help in buying a car from Japanese auctions. Anybody has any knowledge on "R" (repaired) graded cars in Japanese auctions?

Is it a risk that i should completely avoid? or can we find good deals under this category?

Do we get any information like what was the repair done to a particular vehicle or at least what category the repair is or the severity of the damage?  

Thanks in advance :)

11 answers to this question

In Sri Lanka...yes ! Its an absolute no no !

The thing is during the past few years the auction houses have been tightening  the grading schematics....in the past...R grade cars were cars that had a repair history that affected the frame of the car. Then it was tightened to cars that have a repair history as before and cars that have any visible repairs (even if it has not effected the frame and was a matter of showing signs of simply fixing a small dent, except for things like changing a head light, etc..which might not be visible). Now a days cars that have after market body kits, modifications also get a n R grade (in the past only cars with serious body kits were graded as R).

So...if you are in Japan, yes you can buy a R grade car which has only had a fender replaced because of a dent and nothing else wrong with it which makes the car perfectly safe and functioning. However, the issue is we simply cannot trust 99.9% of the vehicle importers/exporters to Sri Lanka. So  unless you plan on going to Japan and looking at the car yourself and getting to see the inspection directly and see the records in and out....don't

Edited by iRage

Depends on the auction house and type of accident damage.

e.g.

If the auction house is TAA (Toyota) and damage is at rear end (for a fwd car) it might be ok.

But the same car can get a 3.5 or even a 4 in USS.

Check the prices of R grades in TAA and 3.5 on USS.

Edited by gada

38 minutes ago, gada said:

Depends on the auction house and type of accident damage.

e.g.

If the auction house is TAA (Toyota) and damage is at rear end (for a fwd car) it might be ok.

But the same car can get a 3.5 or even a 4 in USS.

Check the prices of R grades in TAA and 3.5 on USS.

You sound like a guy who bought a R grade car and now trying to find justification for buying one :)

That is utter BS....it doesn't matter whether it is front or back sideways or roof side...its about the extent of the damage. Any auction house no a days rank any car with damage that has affected the frame and visible repairs as R...in the PAST if a car had a replaced part like a fender and had a different color or a patch up paint job then it would show a low grade...but now not anymore....only way it will NOT get a R grade is when the frame has not been compromised and the replaced panels, parts etc are just like stock.

Again....if you were in Japan, then you can pick a R graded auction car which actually has not had any damage other than a repaired dent on a fender....however, these cars are only marginally lesser than a average grade car. On top of that you cannot trust the vehicle importers (and their Sri Lankan suppliers in Japan)...so it is not worth the risk.

Edited by iRage
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, iRage said:

In Sri Lanka...yes ! Its an absolute no no !

The thing is during the past few years the auction houses have been tightening  the grading schematics....in the past...R grade cars were cars that had a repair history that affected the frame of the car. Then it was tightened to cars that have a repair history as before and cars that have any visible repairs (even if it has not effected the frame and was a matter of showing signs of simply fixing a small dent, except for things like changing a head light, etc..which might not be visible). Now a days cars that have after market body kits, modifications also get a n R grade (in the past only cars with serious body kits were graded as R).

So...if you are in Japan, yes you can buy a R grade car which has only had a fender replaced because of a dent and nothing else wrong with it which makes the car perfectly safe and functioning. However, the issue is we simply cannot trust 99.9% of the vehicle importers/exporters to Sri Lanka. So  unless you plan on going to Japan and looking at the car yourself and getting to see the inspection directly and see the records in and out....don't

well theres this friend of mine who is in the import business and is very trustworthy. he only mentioned that good deals come and go which arent that bad. and he will make it all transparent about the damages and repairs made. Im thinking to buy a daihatsu mira and for my budget I can only go for X grade. But i was told that if im ok with an R graded car I can get the G grade for even a lesser price. But now that im going through the comments im thinking its not a good decision to make. thanks for your time 

10 minutes ago, iRage said:

You sound like a guy who bought a R grade car and now trying to find justification for buying one :)

That is utter BS....it doesn't matter whether it is front or back sideways or roof side...its about the extent of the damage. Any auction house no a days rank any car with damage that has affected the frame and visible repairs as R...in the PAST if a car had a replaced part like a fender and had a different color or a patch up paint job then it would show a low grade...but now not anymore....only way it will NOT get a R grade is when the frame has not been compromised and the replaced panels, parts etc are just like stock.

You are absolutely wrong machan. It's actually ok to buy a rear-wheel drive car with damage in the front or a front wheel drive car with damage to the rear.

This one... for example is perfectly fine:

2004-Nissan-350z-front-right-18482327.jp

Disclaimer: This post is meant to be a sarcastic response to the member 'gada'. 

Edited by Crosswind
disclaimer added
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Noob-J said:

well theres this friend of mine who is in the import business and is very trustworthy. he only mentioned that good deals come and go which arent that bad. and he will make it all transparent about the damages and repairs made. Im thinking to buy a daihatsu mira and for my budget I can only go for X grade. But i was told that if im ok with an R graded car I can get the G grade for even a lesser price. But now that im going through the comments im thinking its not a good decision to make. thanks for your time 

I don't know your friend....so I really cannot comment. The only time I would buy a R grade car is if my father, brother or I picked it up in Japan and I know absolutely for certain what was done with it.

Yes...there are good deals to come across...not all the time but sometimes because of the low desire. 

You have to realize that cars that have accident repairs done to a high quality will not get graded as R...so what does get graded at R is because there is something obvious that shows it has been or needs repair or the frame is damaged. 

13 minutes ago, iRage said:

You have to realize that cars that have accident repairs done to a high quality will not get graded as R...so what does get graded at R is because there is something obvious that shows it has been or needs repair or the frame is damaged. 

Point taken!