• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Good dash cam for the Car

K.o.N.o.S

Guys, I am currently on the hunt for a Dash cam for the car. I found this Chinese brand on E-bay and it seems to be great after glancing some reviews.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Viofo-A119S-Updated-V2-2-0-Super-Capacitor-HD-1080p-GPS-Car-Dash-Cam-Camera-DVR/282415883034?epid=12010442513&hash=item41c14c631a:g:~woAAOSwux5YV~Oq

anyway appreciate if someone could recommend a good one. budget will be around 10k.

Thanks.

I've it for close to two years now.  From the front its bit difficult differentiate from OEM safety cams which is pretty nice. It got long power cable which can easily run under the hood liner ,so you can fix it without obscuring the windshield . Make sure to get capacitor version as it doesn't have the risk of bursting under the hot sun. 

Edited by H.C
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, H.C said:

I've it for close to two years now.  From the front its bit difficult differentiate from OEM safety cams which is pretty nice. It got long power cable which can easily run under the hood liner ,so you can fix it without obscuring the windshield . Make sure to get capacitor version as it doesn't have the risk of bursting under the hot sun. 

How's the clarity of the video recording?

12 hours ago, carbuddy said:

Yes go for a capacitor version. But the one you shared is more than 10k (95 USD) isn't it?

Yeap planning to go for the capacitor version. 

14 minutes ago, JayZ said:

You might also consider a option with a back camera.  Having a cam record from the back also helps a lot. 

Thanks..any recommendations?

23 hours ago, JayZ said:

You might also consider a option with a back camera.  Having a cam record from the back also helps a lot. 

When the dash cam comes with the normal reverse camera. does it record from the back all the time? Isn't it only used for reversing?

2 hours ago, amsandun said:

When the dash cam comes with the normal reverse camera. does it record from the back all the time? Isn't it only used for reversing?

its not a reverse camera. The back camera to be fitted in the back windscreen.  Even inside the vehicle will be fine.  Both cameras record simultaneously. 

• Thanks 2

On 6/21/2018 at 12:07 AM, H.C said:

pretty good. There are 4 or 5 resolution options to select from the menu .

Spec says Video resolution 1280x728 which is HD and video frame rate 1080p@60fps, which is very good for a entry level dash cam but is impossible if its not FHD. So I think it should be corrected 720p@60fps. But if its really a FHD (1920x1080) cam then frame rates should be 1080p@30fps and 720p@60fps. I do not think its capable of doing 1080p@60fps.

I've tried a few dashcams in mine and family vehicles. My personal favorite is the xiaomi yi dashcam which records in FHD with absolutely great clarity both day and night. Has been on my daily driver which is parked outside during daytime for 3 years now - no issues at all. Snagged in for $40 from amazon during a black friday sale. The only negative about this is that it's not stealth (i.e. you wont be able to hide it easily)
The one that came a distant second in the ones I've tried was pruveeo f5, which is again on a daily driver.

Anyway, having a dashcam would be super useful now and more so in the future

I have been using the Capacitor version of Viafo A119 and it's a very solid product. Night time video clarity is superior compared to everything I have come across.

Only an expensive (Rs 25,000/=) Transcend unit of one of my friends came close the quality. So I think Viafo 1119 is the best budget cam out there. Got it from ebay for around Rs 12,000/=. Came with all the accessories necessary for install

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Jason_Bourne said:

I have been using the Capacitor version of Viafo A119 and it's a very solid product. Night time video clarity is superior compared to everything I have come across.

Only an expensive (Rs 25,000/=) Transcend unit of one of my friends came close the quality. So I think Viafo 1119 is the best budget cam out there. Got it from ebay for around Rs 12,000/=. Came with all the accessories necessary for install

Yes. I also have seen very positive reviews on this cam.

Guys I have been doing some extensive research on dash cams for the last couple of days and finally decided to go with this product. I think it is one of the best out there and although I didn't want with the rear camera at first,knowing Sri Lanka I thought it would not be a bad idea to mount something on the rear as well. It is bit expensive and luckily my aunt is coming Down from US next month. So it will be FOC for me..?Again thanks for your valuable inputs and support..

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071LPV7G6/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B071LPV7G6&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=1713835751726239774&pf_rd_r=X3A5GVJ1P5KXV7CFA2FY&pd_rd_wg=6G51H&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&pd_rd_w=fx4Su&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pd_rd_r=9a10785e-781f-11e8-8576-5b08dfeab856

I have used dash cams for more than 6 years now and all are with Lithium batts. Also park under direct sun. Never had a problem. 

If its from a quality supplier, i assume they do test for hot climates and conditions. 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Jason_Bourne said:

I also saw that on the market back when I made the purchase. It has the same specs as Viofo 1119 plus a rear camera.

But it has a fatal flaw in hot climates like Sri Lanka.

image.png.89a543d0bfad46277cd11b987a02a3a3.png

According to the reviews this camera has passed the high temperature test which has been conducted in very hot places like 160 degrees Fahrenheit. So I do not think it will be an issue

• 6 months later...

Hi,

Im also trying to buy dash cam.

Im interested on XIAOMI 70mai Dash Cam Pro English Russian Version 1944P HD Car DVR

Is there any feedback for this item?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/XIAOMI-70mai-Dash-Cam-Pro-English-Russian-Version-1944P-HD-Car-DVR-Camera-SONY-I/163444812285

Thanks in advance

Ishan Ramila

On 6/22/2018 at 2:07 PM, Jason_Bourne said:

I can too vouch for this info about this cam. I've been using the same for sometime and no complaints so far. I've used the Mini0805 before that and the night footage was superior on the mini IMO. But it started giving issues with bootup, probably due to heat screwing up its batteries so I moved to viofo which uses caps instead.

I generally check dashcamtalk (https://dashcamtalk.com/) when I'm hunting for a dashcam. One thing I also did was buying a memory card which can withstand the heat. I'm using a 'Transcend High Endurance' one. It's bit expensive but it's sure worth it.

On 6/20/2018 at 10:47 AM, K.o.N.o.S said:

How's the clarity of the video recording?

Here is a sample video of mine. I reduce the resolution to 1080p as I use Windows Movie Maker to trim and fast forward the video to reduce playback time and it doesn't publish more than 1080p.

This is my go-to site for Dashcams:

https://dashboardcamerareviews.com

According to this site, the Viafo 1119 (now has a V2) seems to be the best value for money. It seems to be a copy of the Street Guardian cameras which are highly popular in Australia. 

6 hours ago, E L N I N O said:

I've used the Mini0805 before that and the night footage was superior on the mini IMO

I'm using a Mini0806 atm and been using it for 3.5 years now. I think they've addressed most of the issues in the 0806, but the battery issue is still a problem. I bought two of them and the battery failed within a year or so and both of them are now running on the second battery that I've purchased on eBay and replaced with. That too has issues sometimes (sounds the "low battery" alarm but keeps recording). So I've disconnected the speaker. :D 

They now have a Mini0906 which is a dual camera and is the cheapest dual dashcam out there (see link above). I believe this has caps instead of a battery. If you want a dual cam set up, this is worth looking into as well IMO. 

6 hours ago, E L N I N O said:

I'm using a 'Transcend High Endurance' one. It's bit expensive but it's sure worth it.

Agree. Totally worth it in warm climates like Sri Lanka. Especially if you have the car parked in the sun during the day. The SanDisk card I had would just crap out when the sun comes up and then I replaced it with a Samsung Evo card which was much better. That too gave issues on warm days and the camera forces to format the card before proceeding (I guess file system corrupt due to heat). It has been a smooth sail with the Transcend High Endurance card.

On 6/25/2018 at 1:13 PM, K.o.N.o.S said:

According to the reviews this camera has passed the high temperature test which has been conducted in very hot places like 160 degrees Fahrenheit. So I do not think it will be an issue

It can withstand heat and function. But the issue is long term reliability.
Li-Ion batteries arch enemy is 'HEAT'.

So after one + years of parking in hot sun, the battery degrades and gets swollen messing up an otherwise completely perfect product. Capacitive Dash Cams are highly durable when compared to Li-ion battery based products.