• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Buying vehicle for government officers permit

War_Emp

Hi,

I have been wondering that giving a 3.6 Million tax rebate is not fair on government servants or any individuals who import vehicles for permit. 

I feel the government has introduced permit just for say cause of strike caused by doctors. The permit which is introduced is of no use to the importers.

Is it just me who is feeling like this or any one else ? 

4 hours ago, War_Emp said:

Hi,

I have been wondering that giving a 3.6 Million tax rebate is not fair on government servants or any individuals who import vehicles for permit. 

I feel the government has introduced permit just for say cause of strike caused by doctors. The permit which is introduced is of no use to the importers.

So how much would in your opinion be a fair amount as a rebate ?

Are you entitled for a government officer's permit anytime soon ?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, War_Emp said:

Hi,

Giving any kind of vehicle tax rebate on any particular profession is not fair on the others who toil hard in this country. This permit scheme is a gross violation of the fundamental rights of rest of the population. In a nation where law and order and justice prevails, the whole permit scheme can be challenged in courts. Unfortunately no judge in this country will rule in favour of this because ... guess why... they are entitled for the permits too...

• Like 6

9 hours ago, iRage said:

So how much would in your opinion be a fair amount as a rebate ?

Are you entitled for a government officer's permit anytime soon ?

No I am not entitled for a permit.

I feel they should have a maximum CIF value to import vehicle for permit and give a percentage off from the tax calculated.

Having no upper bound in the CIF value is in favour top ranked officers in the country.

8 hours ago, Crosswind said:

Giving any kind of vehicle tax rebate on any particular profession is not fair on the others who toil hard in this country. This permit scheme is a gross violation of the fundamental rights of rest of the population. In a nation where law and order and justice prevails, the whole permit scheme can be challenged in courts. Unfortunately no judge in this country will rule in favour of this because ... guess why... they are entitled for the permits too...

Government employees are paid extremely less for their experience compared with the private sector and government is not in a position to pay the employees a package inline to private sectors so giving few perks like permit isn't wrong. Thats just my opinion 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, War_Emp said:

Government employees are paid extremely less for their experience compared with the private sector and government is not in a position to pay the employees a package inline to private sectors so giving few perks like permit isn't wrong. Thats just my opinion 

Well...I am with Crosswinds....but for a different reason and that being giving such a perk to the least productive in the country is a gross violation of the actual hard workers in the country who actually add value to society and the economy. If this was a performance based award I can see some sort of justification in it...but it is is not....its just work for X years then you get it...

• Like 3

10 hours ago, War_Emp said:

If paid extremely less for their experience why not join to private sector ? In my view most of them will reject if they try to join.

(I too standing with Crosswind & iRage)

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, kusumsiri said:

If paid extremely less for their experience why not join to private sector ? In my view most of them will reject if they try to join.

(I too standing with Crosswind & iRage)

I agree with Indrajeedez.. I agree there are many employees who aren't competent but there are so many skilled officers who love the job and they have a special bond with their job unlike many of us in the private sector who would switch job for a better package and designation.

2 minutes ago, Mazda6 said:

A bloody naattaami works as hard as any government servant. So let’s give the ‘government servants deserve permits’ argument a rest. It’s all about pleasing the vote banks. 

If its all about pleasing the vote bank why is the government giving a permit like this which is of no use to majority of the government servants ? The government has lifted the upper limit which lets top level officers to import any vehicle they like but 3.6 Million tax rebate would mean nothing to an individual who is importing a fully loaded land-crusier or fortuner.

2 hours ago, Mazda6 said:

A bloody naattaami works as hard as any government servant. So let’s give the ‘government servants deserve permits’ argument a rest. It’s all about pleasing the vote banks. 

Look mate, don't over generalize things. Deserving a permit or not is a different issue. To be honest for an average government, servant as War_emp said it is of no real use unless it is "sold" which is ofcourse wrong. There is no way one can justify that, but it all revels down to individual ethics, something which has become alien in Sri Lanka.  Anyway it is hard to be politically correct and answer this question.  

11 hours ago, War_Emp said:

If its all about pleasing the vote bank why is the government giving a permit like this which is of no use to majority of the government servants ? The government has lifted the upper limit which lets top level officers to import any vehicle they like but 3.6 Million tax rebate would mean nothing to an individual who is importing a fully loaded land-crusier or fortuner.

If a person can afford to buy the Land Cruiser the person can afford to pay the extra in taxes....those who only can afford a Premio/Allion/Axio have to pay a small amount of taxes and those who can only afford a kei car pretty much won't have to pay any taxes at all....so what you are saying is that the richer people should be given more of a benefit so that they can drive around in their Land Cruisers and Range Rovers ? <I am sorry but you sound like a person who was hoping to buy off a government workers permit for peanuts to go buy himself a Land Cruiser, Range Rover, <insert any other flashy car> with his fat private sector pay check and now got screwed. <I am not saying you are one...I am saying you sound like one>.

Yes...there are dedicated government workers who truly do some good work....I have nothing against these sorts of people getting perks  which the country can afford to give. I have nothing against getting tax rebates if there was a fair way of doing it (like I said...performance based at the very least...but then again it comes about who would assess the performance). There are private sector workers and foreign workers who contribute 1000 times more to the economy than these people and the permits and rebates that were given to them were completely taken away (or turned in to rubbish). If we are suggesting that government workers should be given permits for their "sacrifice"...yeah...its nice to see all these soldiers who fought for our freedom drive around in their nice duty free/reduced cars and the houses they built by selling the permits. If it is about service to the country..then why are these entitled individuals holding the rest of the country hostage by going on strike at the mere sniff of their permits getting revoked ? The only group I can even find some sort of justification for getting permits are the doctors (that is a purely personal opinion). Yes..there are a lot #@@! doctors around but most of them actually have to do decent work and they do with what limited resources they have....I wish the nurses and the other medical professions also got some sort of similar benefit.

11 hours ago, War_Emp said:

I agree with Indrajeedez.. I agree there are many employees who aren't competent but there are so many skilled officers who love the job and they have a special bond with their job unlike many of us in the private sector who would switch job for a better package and designation.

That by itself is a generalization. This job swapping is a "new" generation "thing" where a lot of ethics and professionalism is misplaced and everything is about the number of digits and superficial values (which get exploited by companies to their benefit). I know plenty of people who have been with private firms (and are still in them) who have built these companies from ground up to joining mid way...people who value their work more than the numbers and sign boards. On one hand everyone is totally diminishing the "value"/"stock" of these designations because they mean jack squat now (walk in to any of the "Global' ICT firms in SL..every Saman, Ruwan, Anura, Sonali, Amali and Stefanie is a "Director" of some sort....they have no experience in leadership or any other business acumen except coding on a project or two). On the other hand companies go around doing this and poaching people, whilst at times unreasonably upping their offers, because we simply do not have a relevant skilled worker base (but hell our...education system is perfect because 90+% of the population can read and do basic arithmetic) 

Like someone above said...it s about pleasing voter bases and their own pockets with the permits and there is no politically correct way of discussing this.

On 6/16/2018 at 8:04 AM, War_Emp said:

This is utter rubbish. I have plenty of government employees in the family (in different fields).

True... the basic salary very low. Some experienced folks /grads get about 30k

But they get allowance after allowance. They claim OT even if they do it or not. Some get 120 hrs of OT per month. If you add them all up, a person who gets a 30k basic will take home around 200k.

We look at the 30k basic and say they earn extremely less.

Even now, lot of people join government jobs because 'aanduwe rassaawak' mindset. We colombo folks dont care about that but in villages, people die for them because of the stigma and the pressure by parents etc.

Finally, NO ONE forced anyone to become a low-paid government servant. Every government employee chose it. Its like you choosing to work for a company that pays 10,000 over a company that pays 50,000. If you are capable, you can always choose a higher paying job. Getting paid low is not an excuse for violation of fundamental rights of 20million people.

Edited by Crosswind
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Crosswind said:

This is utter rubbish. I have plenty of government employees in the family (in different fields).

True... the basic salary very low. Some experienced folks /grads get about 30k

But they get allowance after allowance. They claim OT even if they do it or not. Some get 120 hrs of OT per month. If you add them all up, a person who gets a 30k basic will take home around 200k.

We look at the 30k basic and say they earn extremely less.

Even now, lot of people join government jobs because 'aanduwe rassaawak' mindset. We colombo folks dont care about that but in villages, people die for them because of the stigma and the pressure by parents etc.

Finally, NO ONE forced anyone to become a low-paid government servant. Every government employee chose it. Its like you choosing to work for a company that pays 10,000 over a company that pays 50,000. If you are capable, you can always choose a higher paying job. Getting paid low is not an excuse for violation of fundamental rights of 20million people.

lets understand the basis of government servants permit. According to the government service regulations ( which was prepared by sudda fellows) most of the executive grade government officers are entitled for an official vehicle. However, due to the expansion of state sector and prevailing economic situation the government was not afford to buy and maintain a official vehicle for all executive grade state servants. As a remedy for this problem then government proposed a duty concessionary permit for state servants , where they could import a vehicle from their private funds. Importantly, this vehicle should be used for official duties for five years and then only the absolute ownership of the vehicle would be transferred to the original importer. This scheme was mutually beneficial for both government and state servants. In fact, those days government servants were very reluctant to transfer the ownership fearing departmental disciplinary action for violating  permit conditions.

Unfortunately, as usual in this wonderful Island nation the  discipline of state servants drastically dropped during early 2000.  Gradually state servants began follow their parliamentary counterparts and began selling their permits two third parties and no action was taken against these violations.  Finally during the regiment of our former president, he completely removed the clause restricting selling of duty concessionary vehicles. thus ending what ever benefit government attained through this scheme and converting  it to an expense. 

Rather than arguing about the permit we must first analyse why it was issued. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, peugeot407 said:

lets understand the basis of government servants permit. According to the government service regulations ( which was prepared by sudda fellows) most of the executive grade government officers are entitled for an official vehicle. However, due to the expansion of state sector and prevailing economic situation the government was not afford to buy and maintain a official vehicle for all executive grade state servants. As a remedy for this problem then government proposed a duty concessionary permit for state servants , where they could import a vehicle from their private funds. Importantly, this vehicle should be used for official duties for five years and then only the absolute ownership of the vehicle would be transferred to the original importer. This scheme was mutually beneficial for both government and state servants. In fact, those days government servants were very reluctant to transfer the ownership fearing departmental disciplinary action for violating  permit conditions.

Unfortunately, as usual in this wonderful Island nation the  discipline of state servants drastically dropped during early 2000.  Gradually state servants began follow their parliamentary counterparts and began selling their permits two third parties and no action was taken against these violations.  Finally during the regiment of our former president, he completely removed the clause restricting selling of duty concessionary vehicles. thus ending what ever benefit government attained through this scheme and converting  it to an expense. 

Rather than arguing about the permit we must first analyse why it was issued. 

So the bottom line is that we are still holding on to an antiquated policy as we do with every other thing (isn't that even worst ? I guess we shouldn't expect much change after just 4 or 5 years of independance...wait...how many years is it ?). We Sri Lankans are really good at holding on to our historical achievements (of our colonial masters/fore fathers/previous generations) and entitling ourselves to things we are not entitled to.

Two issues

1. Government Service 

2. The Permit

Yes, I agree that government servants should not be doled out permits be it doctors and MP's or whoever. But not all in the government service have seriously large take home salaries consisting of OT and what not. There is a segment who gets those but then not all. Even among them there are people who does a decent job minus swindling public funds. 

Like doctors, many of the public servants still work in dire working conditions. Laws, regulations, funding, working conditions and training, among others are not great. They won't be great as well in the near future. That is more of a serious structural systemic error. Add caste barriers, class and personal dogmatisms into this. Viola....it is is akin to paradise.  

Edited by Indrajeedez
  • Like 1

Found a article clearly mentioning about government officers permit.

"මේ දවස් වනාහි පරිපාලන නිලධාරීන් ඇතුළු රජයේ ඉහළ නිලධාරීන්ට තීරුබදු රහිත වාහන බලපත්‍ර ලබාදෙන වසන්ත කාලයයි. මෙහිදී වාහනයක් ආනයනය කිරීමේදී රු. ලක්ෂ තිස් හයේ සිට ඉහළට තීරුබදු සහනයක් සැලසේ. මේ හේතුව නිසාම ජපානයේ වාහන වෙන්දේසි පොලවල වාහනයක මිල යෙන් ලක්ෂයේ සිට වැඩිවීමක් සිදු වන බව වාර්තා වේ. ලංකාවේ පුවත්පත්වල ද වාහන දැන්වීම් වැහි වැහැලා ය."

http://www.w3lanka.com/තීරු-බදු-නැති-කාර්-රජයේ-නි/

On 6/16/2018 at 7:18 PM, War_Emp said:

22 hours ago, Indrajeedez said:

Two issues

1. Government Service 

2. The Permit

Yes, I agree that government servants should not be doled out permits be it doctors and MP's or whoever. But not all in the government service have seriously large take home salaries consisting of OT and what not. There is a segment who gets those but then not all. Even among them there are people who does a decent job minus swindling public funds. 

Like doctors, many of the public servants still work in dire working conditions. Laws, regulations, funding, working conditions and training, among others are not great. They won't be great as well in the near future. That is more of a serious structural systemic error. Add caste barriers, class and personal dogmatisms into this. Viola....it is is akin to paradise.  

I am not bothered about the ethics, morals and other assorted nonsense in any service. No one forced anyone to take up any job. They all chose it with their own free will.

Only concern I have is preferential treatment of a profession. Do you guys even realize that working hard, dire working conditions, internal politics within the organization, lack of training etc. are not grounds for tax concessions? If that's the case, telecom tower riggers should get at least 10 million tax-free permit. That job was found to be the most dangerous job (in america). The situation is only worse in Sri Lanka due to lack of OHS laws. How about the naattamis in pettah who carry tons of goods every day, the software engineering guys who work from 9AM till midnight, seven days a week etc.? arent their conditions dire? arent they facing politics where they work?

working hard is grounds for tax concession? then you ought to give a tax concession to the garment girls. They are some of the hardest working people in this country. During the 90s garments boom, did you know that factories were running 20-hour work days and the poor girls were given just a 4-hour break?

and not swindling public funds is a ground for tax concession?

On 6/17/2018 at 8:29 PM, Quiet said:

Does government employees get bonuses and annual increments?

They don't. They do have increments based on grade, experience etc. However, every once in a while they fight (usually go on strike) to get 'salary corrections' (වැටුප් විෂමතා ඉවත් කිරීම). Basically the same thing. The difference is most private sector folks don't stoop that low, even if they don't get increments.

Only explanation I can agree with, is the one given by @peugeot407

However, that's not the way teh permit scheme operates now. If a permit vehicle is used only for official purpose with no ability to sell it, that's at least reasonable (not really a violation of human rights).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Crosswind said:

I am not bothered about the ethics, morals and other assorted nonsense in any service. No one forced anyone to take up any job. They all chose it with their own free will.

Only concern I have is preferential treatment of a profession. Do you guys even realize that working hard, dire working conditions, internal politics within the organization, lack of training etc. are not grounds for tax concessions? If that's the case, telecom tower riggers should get at least 10 million tax-free permit. That job was found to be the most dangerous job (in america). The situation is only worse in Sri Lanka due to lack of OHS laws. How about the naattamis in pettah who carry tons of goods every day, the software engineering guys who work from 9AM till midnight, seven days a week etc.? arent their conditions dire? arent they facing politics where they work?

working hard is grounds for tax concession? then you ought to give a tax concession to the garment girls. They are some of the hardest working people in this country. During the 90s garments boom, did you know that factories were running 20-hour work days and the poor girls were given just a 4-hour break?

and not swindling public funds is a ground for tax concession?

They don't. They do have increments based on grade, experience etc. However, every once in a while they fight (usually go on strike) to get 'salary corrections' (වැටුප් විෂමතා ඉවත් කිරීම). Basically the same thing. The difference is most private sector folks don't stoop that low, even if they don't get increments.

Only explanation I can agree with, is the one given by @peugeot407

However, that's not the way teh permit scheme operates now. If a permit vehicle is used only for official purpose with no ability to sell it, that's at least reasonable (not really a violation of human rights).

Free will or not, the system has to go and somebody has to work the system. My main concern here is not about the permit. I'm less bothered about it and as i clearly said, I also do not agree with the so called permit scheme and in a way it is good if the provision is revoked.

About private sector people not stooping so low, that is a broad generalization. What exactly do you mean by stooping so low? Then do you for a min think all the government employees in Sri Lanka have seriously large take home salaries? Some professions do not have OT or any of those so called assorted increments. For example take a look at the education sector. What the hell do they get? Almost nothing and even if they get nothing that is supposed to be one of the bulwarks in this state. A lot of people believe that those in the teaching profession rarely does hard work. There are working hours yes. But then to take a class on the next day, one ends up preparing for another long time beyond those working hours. 

Anyway reverse logic, all those people whom you mentioned also have maybe chosen the profession like many others due to a hell lot of reasons. The damn word choose isint value neutral. You are sometime made to choose something depending on a certain other factors. What makes one go for the garment sector or be a so called "software engineer" ? 

True, preferential treatment should not be given. That is absolutely wrong. Each profession has its value and each should be regarded equally. , But the neo-liberal project does not allow such realities to function as a lot of people expect them to function. Not in this state anyway.  

About permits, yeah no need. Who the hell needs vehicles anyway in these irritating traffic conditions. But give permits to buy bullock carts, people will still get them in Sri Lanka. Blame the so called ethics, morals and values you just dissed which plays a part in all this. One part of the problem is that along with consumerism. The so called "alto family mentality". There is only one way which can eventually reduce this and well rest assured the government will not invest on it. 

Edited by Indrajeedez

6 hours ago, Indrajeedez said:

Free will or not, the system has to go and somebody has to work the system. My main concern here is not about the permit. I'm less bothered about it and as i clearly said, I also do not agree with the so called permit scheme and in a way it is good if the provision is revoked.

About private sector people not stooping so low, that is a broad generalization. What exactly do you mean by stooping so low? Then do you for a min think all the government employees in Sri Lanka have seriously large take home salaries? Some professions do not have OT or any of those so called assorted increments. For example take a look at the education sector. What the hell do they get? Almost nothing and even if they get nothing that is supposed to be one of the bulwarks in this state. A lot of people believe that those in the teaching profession rarely does hard work. There are working hours yes. But then to take a class on the next day, one ends up preparing for another long time beyond those working hours. 

Anyway reverse logic, all those people whom you mentioned also have maybe chosen the profession like many others due to a hell lot of reasons. The damn word choose isint value neutral. You are sometime made to choose something depending on a certain other factors. What makes one go for the garment sector or be a so called "software engineer" ? 

True, preferential treatment should not be given. That is absolutely wrong. Each profession has its value and each should be regarded equally. , But the neo-liberal project does not allow such realities to function as a lot of people expect them to function. Not in this state anyway.  

About permits, yeah no need. Who the hell needs vehicles anyway in these irritating traffic conditions. But give permits to buy bullock carts, people will still get them in Sri Lanka. Blame the so called ethics, morals and values you just dissed which plays a part in all this. One part of the problem is that along with consumerism. The so called "alto family mentality". There is only one way which can eventually reduce this and well rest assured the government will not invest on it. 

"Stoop so low" = hold the country hostage y going on strike and causing massive disruption because they do not get a salary increment, allowance, benefit, etc...

I think you missed the point on what Crosswinds said....yes...people in all those dangerous professions chose to do it on their own free will just like the government employees. The point was that if we believe that the government employees should be given the rebate permit then why don't we do the same for other professions who also have arduous and dire working conditions and professional challenges ? Basically anyone in any profession has challenges and dire conditions and times of hardship, personally navigating through that and building up experience is part of being  professional. We all deserve duty rebates for our cars at the end of the day....and at the end of the day that just translates to proper, consistent duty/tax policies that are equal to all and does not go in to feeding the vices of the least productive segment of the work force.

As for lost morality, ethics, etc....well...that is a whole different discussion on the country's education system, helicopter parenting, religious beliefs and practicing on purely face value and misunderstood and misplaced "patriotism"..again..at face value.

1 hour ago, iRage said:

"Stoop so low" = hold the country hostage y going on strike and causing massive disruption because they do not get a salary increment, allowance, benefit, etc...

I think you missed the point on what Crosswinds said....yes...people in all those dangerous professions chose to do it on their own free will just like the government employees. The point was that if we believe that the government employees should be given the rebate permit then why don't we do the same for other professions who also have arduous and dire working conditions and professional challenges ? Basically anyone in any profession has challenges and dire conditions and times of hardship, personally navigating through that and building up experience is part of being  professional. We all deserve duty rebates for our cars at the end of the day....and at the end of the day that just translates to proper, consistent duty/tax policies that are equal to all and does not go in to feeding the vices of the least productive segment of the work force.

As for lost morality, ethics, etc....well...that is a whole different discussion on the country's education system, helicopter parenting, religious beliefs and practicing on purely face value and misunderstood and misplaced "patriotism"..again..at face value.

@iRage Irage, this is why I exactly stated that this particular scheme should be scrapped and be taken out. There is no sense in doling out permits which leads to a loss of revenue anyway.

All the government employees did not strike asking for the permit. Only a selected few working in one of the professions you mentioned in one of the your posts as deserving ones did that. Did the teachers, or Uni academics go on strike requesting permits? No. Even within that particular group there were people who did not get the permit and sell it out of principle because they could not afford to import a car. 

Secondly, some of these people crosswind stated (the telecome workers for example) belong to so called manpower companies. Blame the economic ethos of this particular country for that.  For all it matters, the issue of permits are duly tied upto all what you said as a whole different discussion. It is just another face of that because owning a car is a part of glamour consumerism in Sri Lanka and then utility. 

I agree with both you and crosswind in principle about the crazy permit scheme.  The only point of departure is when you both said "the least productive segment" and that is not exactly true. 

2 hours ago, Indrajeedez said:

@iRage Irage, this is why I exactly stated that this particular scheme should be scrapped and be taken out. There is no sense in doling out permits which leads to a loss of revenue anyway.

All the government employees did not strike asking for the permit. Only a selected few working in one of the professions you mentioned in one of the your posts as deserving ones did that. Did the teachers, or Uni academics go on strike requesting permits? No. Even within that particular group there were people who did not get the permit and sell it out of principle because they could not afford to import a car. 

Secondly, some of these people crosswind stated (the telecome workers for example) belong to so called manpower companies. Blame the economic ethos of this particular country for that.  For all it matters, the issue of permits are duly tied upto all what you said as a whole different discussion. It is just another face of that because owning a car is a part of glamour consumerism in Sri Lanka and then utility. 

I agree with both you and crosswind in principle about the crazy permit scheme.  The only point of departure is when you both said "the least productive segment" and that is not exactly true. 

I said....I can find some justification in giving the doctors a permit...not that they should...when considering that they do get dispatched to some difficult places and are held accountable for everyone's lives. Whether they deserve it or not is a different story considering that there are some complete ****. I also believe there are more professions that are more deserving (thus the sarcastic reference to soldiers) 

Well..the government IS the least productive segment in the work force....that is a well and truly accepted norm in most countries and Sri Lanka is no exception. That doesn't mean that there are no hard working people there...but as a segment of the work force...they are the least productive. It is obvious when you walk in to ANY government department for anything....

1 minute ago, iRage said:

I said....I can find some justification in giving the doctors a permit...not that they should...when considering that they do get dispatched to some difficult places and are held accountable for everyone's lives. Whether they deserve it or not is a different story considering that there are some complete ****. I also believe there are more professions that are more deserving (thus the sarcastic reference to soldiers) 

Well..the government IS the least productive segment in the work force....that is a well and truly accepted norm in most countries and Sri Lanka is no exception. That doesn't mean that there are no hard working people there...but as a segment of the work force...they are the least productive. It is obvious when you walk in to ANY government department for anything....

The problem is we end up complaining but nobody rarely takes any proactive action against it. 

I'm not sure about doctors. Some are dedicated as you said.  But yeah the other medical professional actually keep the wards going and the people alive. They do a tremendous amount of work. I don't think that can even be measured in monetary terms.