• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Verifying jevic certificate of inspection

Lakimanka

Guys,I looked onto a Toyota vitz car which was on a sale and took the chassis number which was available on a jevic inspection certificate and entered it onto the jevic e certificate and there was no such certificate on that chassis number.is it possible that the available jevic certificate to be fake. Please help.

Thankss.

For the most part the chassis number is enough...in some cases if the chassis number reveals nothing then a search can be done by looking for the certificate number. 

Yes..it can be fake..it can also be that there was a mistake and you wrote down the chassis number incorrectly ? It could also mean that the inspection was done a long time ago and the record is deleted (highly unlikely) or it can also mean that the inspection was just done and the report has not been entered in to the system yet (even more unlikely). So what do you think ;)

If you are really interested in this car then ask the seller for a copy of the certificate and write to the inspection org and ask for verification. They will not share that much information with you (if it is valid then the information you have is correct..if it is invalid then they can't share the info because then they might be sharing info about a different car); but they will tell you if it is valid/exists or not for the given car.

If not..just walk away...its a Vitz, not any rare car...there are plenty of them around ! 

Thank you for your time. I took a photograph of the inspection certificate and entered the serial number of the inspection certificate along with the chassis number.then I got the certificate and it says that the odometer reading was 9586km at the time of inspection. But now the meter is set to 256km and the seller says that it reads the distance from hambanthota port to kurunegala. I thinking that the meter has been tampered by them.!!

1 hour ago, Lakimanka said:

Thank you for your time. I took a photograph of the inspection certificate and entered the serial number of the inspection certificate along with the chassis number.then I got the certificate and it says that the odometer reading was 9586km at the time of inspection. But now the meter is set to 256km and the seller says that it reads the distance from hambanthota port to kurunegala. I thinking that the meter has been tampered by them.!!

Post all the pics you took along with the name of the seller. 

That will save an unsuspecting buyer from falling into a scam.

1 hour ago, Lakimanka said:

Maybe the guy is confused between the Trip meter and the odometer ? If not why on earth would he say that the odometer shows the distance between Hambanthota and his place ? Yet alone be oblivious to the fact that the mileage has gotten less ??!!! Did you check the trip meters and the odometer ?

Like I said before...unless it is one hell of a special Vitz (GRMN or a GR or a GR Sport) just walk away..not worth the hassle...plenty of Vitzies around :)

35 minutes ago, Hyaenidae said:

Please do not post it on AUTOLANKA Forums (unless @MADZ and the rest of the admin team says ok). Posting such information here can expose AL to nasty defamation suites and other legal entanglements.  If you must post pics you can post pics of things like odometer readings, etc along with the certificate with any sensitive information censored.

47 minutes ago, iRage said:

rums (unless @MADZ and the rest of the admin team says ok). Posting such information here can expose AL to nasty defamation suites and other legal entanglements.  If you must post pics you can post pics of things like odometer readings, etc along with the certificate with any sensitive information censored.

http://autolanka.com/forums/topic/15515-motoring-scams-in-sri-lanka/

No problem with the odometer and the tripmeter readings. The thing is that they have pasted a copy of jevic inspection certificate on the windscreen with a mileage of 9 km. Thats the scam that they have.obviously this may not be the first time.

26 minutes ago, Lakimanka said:

No problem with the odometer and the tripmeter readings. The thing is that they have pasted a copy of jevic inspection certificate on the windscreen with a mileage of 9 km. Thats the scam that they have.obviously this may not be the first time.

Share the name of the seller along with the photos, if possible. If not here, post it on Elakiri.com

5 hours ago, Lakimanka said:

4 hours ago, Hyaenidae said:

Dude... are you so naive? To save the 'unsuspecting buyers' from buying a car with a clocked odo, you will need to post the names of 99% of Sri Lankan car sellers in this forum.

The 'unsuspecting buyers' in this country are first class idiots. That's the reason why these crooks exist. OP is so worried about the car odo having 9586km on it. Is the car going to fall apart just because it was used for 10000km? Irrespective of the fact that these are grey market vehicles, dumbasses in this country need them to prove their virginity by having '0' on the odometer. That's the reason why sellers clock the odo. 

If you want a 'brand new' car, get it from the authorized dealer. Anything else is a used car sold at the grey market. The grey market is known as the grey market for a reason. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Crosswind said:

Dude... are you so naive? To save the 'unsuspecting buyers' from buying a car with a clocked odo, you will need to post the names of 99% of Sri Lankan car sellers in this forum.

True, but why should we let the crooked sellers go scot-free when they're caught red-handed? We should name and shame them so they and other like-minded sellers might think twice before pulling this scam.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hyaenidae said:

True, but why should we let the crooked sellers go scot-free when they're caught red-handed? We should name and shame them so they and other like-minded sellers might think twice before pulling this scam.

Oh yeah... in that case let me make it easy for you...

Go to www.vial.lk

Copy the list

Post it here.

9 hours ago, Crosswind said:

Oh yeah... in that case let me make it easy for you...

Go to www.vial.lk

Copy the list

Post it here.

Naming and shaming don't work that way... Where's the photographic proof?

They have "plausible deniability" until someone catches them in the act like OP did

Edited by Hyaenidae