• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Carpooling / Ride Sharing

LashNeo

I’ve been alone traveler in my car from home to work and vice versa for some time now. I was just thinking that lone riders like me are just adding another burden to the nationwide crisis of traffic congestion by occupying unutilised road space. I know that many of you are the same. But, we have no other option as the public transportation in this country is hopeless. No one wants to end up in their destination late in sweaty, wrinkled cloths maybe after a fist fight or two with a conductor.

So, what can we do to improve the situation? What can we do to reduce the traffic congestion in the roads? How about offering a ride to someone else in need? This idea was pondering in my mind for some time now and I was checking in the web for any carpooling/ride sharing apps but non of them seem to be very active. Therefore; thought about posting it here in Autolanka.

So, if anyone of you know of any local websites, communities or Apps involved in Carpooling / ridesharing can you please post the details in this thread?

And; if anyone of you are willing to offer a ride or in need of a ride; maybe you can share the details here in this thread with following information. i'm mainly talking about recurring rides rather than one off rides which would be more meaningful.

• ·         Start Location
  • ·         Starting time
  • ·         Destination
  • ·         Route
  • ·         Number of seats available/required
  • ·         Preferences/comments

By doing so; you would lend a helping hand to someone in need, make new friends and maybe you’ll be able to reduce your expenses as well by sharing the costs.

I hope we can use this as a platform for this purpose and if this is against the forum rules; please remove this :)

Happy Carpooling everyone    :car-smiley-001:   :car-smiley-002:

Edited by LashNeo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This is  very good concept but to be a success a large number of people need to pitch in. 

As for apps/websites there is this one called "lift ekak"  haven't provided the link here but you can google for it . 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, matroska said:

This is  very good concept but to be a success a large number of people need to pitch in. 

Yes it is. There are some complications associated with this as well. It’s easy to share your ride with someone you know well such as an office colleague. But; people tend to be reluctant to share a ride with a complete stranger. However; here in Autolanka most of us are like minded people and we can get an idea about each other easily. Therefore; I think it’s easy for us members to initiate this.

Actually; I did carpooling with three of my colleagues sometime back. We lived in the same route and shared our rides. Since two of them resigned from the company and one changed his shift; I’ve been a loner ??

Edited by LashNeo
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, LashNeo said:

Yes it is. There are some complications associated with this as well. It’s easy to share your ride with someone you know well such as an office colleague. But; people tend to be reluctant to share a ride with a complete stranger. However; here in Autolanka most of us are like minded people and we can get an idea about each other easily. Therefore; I think it’s easy for us members to initiate this.

Actually; I did carpooling with three of my colleagues sometime back. We lived in the same route and shared our rides. Since two of them resigned from the company and one changed his shift; I’ve been a loner ??

Yeah good concept to start from the forum itself. I guess other than @PreseaLover the other members are safe to travel with and vice-versa. Actually Presea and I live in the same area so this is kinda worrying now .....

I actually  drop a friend of mine at  kelani bridge (i head towards Negombo road and him  Kandy road he takes a bus rest of the way) but being in the Software industry leaving time is unpredictable cos if there's some severe bug that needs to be looked into good luck to the car-poolers :D 

Edited by matroska
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, matroska said:

Actually Presea and I live in the same area so this is kinda worrying now .....

Ha haaa.. would dearly love to take a ride in PreseaLovers ride one day ?

• Thanks 1

OK. Here goes my offering. If anyone is interested; you can PM me. ?

• Type: Offering a ride
  • Start Location: Kollupitiya (Near Liberty Roundabout)
  • Starting time: 7:15-7:30PM
  • Destination: Bokundara Junction
  • Route: Kollupitiya > Thummulla > Kirulapone > Kohuwala > Pepiliyana > Raththanapitiya > Boralesgamuwa > Bokundara
  • Car: Mazda Familia (YOM= 1999) with A/C
  • Number of seats available: 3
  • Preferences/comments: Prefer non smokers. Tech geeks, Car enthusiasts and Music lovers are gladly welcome. Please send me a message if you are interested.
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, ajm said:

good idea to try. What about return Trip times? That should be the main reason driving people away from this concept.

I suppose that will depend on the situation and the person. Some might not be able to offer a fixed return time based on the work they are engaged in as in the case of Matroska. I'ts the opposite in my case; i can only tell a fixed time from "Work to home" but not from "Home to work" as often i have to run few errands in the morning before i come for work and i might leave home somewhere between 8-10AM. But my evening schedule might align with someone who comes by bus in the morning but have difficulty in going back home due to lack of buses late in the evening. :)

• 1 month later...
On 6/13/2018 at 5:13 PM, LashNeo said:

OK. Here goes my offering. If anyone is interested; you can PM me. ?

• Type: Offering a ride
  • Start Location: Kollupitiya (Near Liberty Roundabout)
  • Starting time: 7:15-7:30PM
  • Destination: Bokundara Junction
  • Route: Kollupitiya > Thummulla > Kirulapone > Kohuwala > Pepiliyana > Raththanapitiya > Boralesgamuwa > Bokundara
  • Car: Mazda Familia (YOM= 1999) with A/C
  • Number of seats available: 3
  • Preferences/comments: Prefer non smokers. Tech geeks, Car enthusiasts and Music lovers are gladly welcome. Please send me a message if you are interested.

so have you started ride sharing so far? Btw there is a carpooling app also in SL ryt? is it functioning? 

2 hours ago, ArtfulDodger said:

so have you started ride sharing so far? Btw there is a carpooling app also in SL ryt? is it functioning? 

I pretty much like to start it machan. But so far did not find any companion :). I don't think any of the carpooling apps are functioning either

Edited by LashNeo

I have already posted in this site few months back. Have not received any response yet from anyone. Google login option doesn't seem to work in this site either. Therefore, most probably this is also not much active at the moment i guess.