• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Engine Tune Up

mazda2

Question

I havent tuned up my car since I bought it in 2016. I had done almost 45,000km since and now my milege has dropped from 16-17 kmpl ( long distance) to 11-12 kmpl. Any comments ? My local garrage guys said that its recomended to do one in every 40,000km. Cost of Engine tuiniing he said approx Rs.5000/-

7 answers to this question

9 hours ago, mazda2 said:

I havent tuned up my car since I bought it in 2016. I had done almost 45,000km since and now my milege has dropped from 16-17 kmpl ( long distance) to 11-12 kmpl. Any comments ? My local garrage guys said that its recomended to do one in every 40,000km. Cost of Engine tuiniing he said approx Rs.5000/-

but never expect that just a cleanup (so called engine tuneup) will increase your fuel economy from 11 kmpl to 16 kmpl.

lot of people think about thins engine tuneup when they feel fuel economy went down, but once they did this engine tuneup normally what they say is "now pulling power has been increased and idle is so smooth" but fuel economy is same. 

Hi Mazda2,

Did you replace your tyres? (Normally a tyre change would be around 40,000km)  sometimes a significant drop in economy could be the result of a lower quality tyre being put on to your car (or tyre pressure not correct). 

Also check the exhaust line to see if there are any leaks. (highly doubt this though since the car is so new)

Regards,

Iced-T

Edited by Iced-T

On 6/9/2018 at 3:36 AM, Rumesh88 said:

Well I guess you car is due for a tune up (precisely it is just a clean up). So I don't think you have a reason not to  go for it.

Quick advice bro. Yes I believe when the fuel economy drops from 16 to 11 its good to check the tuneup. But isn't 45,000kms is too early for the engine tuneup to go bad? What I meant was is you are using quality petrol + engine oil and air filter is changed as recommended how can a engine tuneup go bad that much? 

45,000kms is too early for spark plug change or wheel alignment to go that bad right?

On 6/15/2018 at 8:48 PM, kmeeg said:

Quick advice bro. Yes I believe when the fuel economy drops from 16 to 11 its good to check the tuneup. But isn't 45,000kms is too early for the engine tuneup to go bad? What I meant was is you are using quality petrol + engine oil and air filter is changed as recommended how can a engine tuneup go bad that much? 

45,000kms is too early for spark plug change or wheel alignment to go that bad right?

I thought he said that he had done 45000 since he bought the car two years back. It implied that it was a secondhand car for otherwise you have an agent's warranty for two years anyway. So regardless of the total mileage  it is time for a tune up anyway.

As for the wheel alignment on Sri Lanka roads (except E1 and E2 perhaps) even a new car needs realignment of wheels every 10000kms or so.