• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Upsizing wheels

Hi guys,

Posting after a long time. Extremely sorry if I'm accidentally duplicating a thread that already exists (I couldn't find one, so I opened this).

So, the last time I posted, I was trying to save up to buy a car. Now, I've successfully managed to buy a relatively new 2015 Alto LXI (the indian one). It's nothing crazy, but a starting point. Works well for me because of the good fuel economy and affordable maintenance costs, which is what my salary allows for now.

I have lately been thinking whether it is a good idea to upgrade the wheels to 13" (the car currently runs on 12" 145/80 R12 CE#T Milazes- Stock from dealer). If I'm upsizing to 13", I also want to install a set of alloy wheels.

Mr concerns are as follows:

1. First of all, in a car like the Alto, is this a good idea?

2. Will there be any running issues?
   I spoke to a service advisor at A*W and he said that if I install 13" wheels the tyre might scrape against the inner wheel well when making a turn. Another chap at A*W told me that upsizing is not an issue when I went there for a wheel alignment recently. Needless to say, I am totally confused.

3. What would be a good tyre size?
I ran through some online calculators and they all recommend 155/65 R 13 tyres. (this is also the same spec that the Alto K10 comes with)

4. What's a good place to buy tyres and alloys?
I've heard good things about U&H in Col 2. Any other places you guys would recommend?

Cheers!

1. I would say it's just your choice. The car would look better with 13 wheels on and you will have a slightly wider range of tyres to select from.

2. Not if you get the right rim + tyre combination. As long as you ensure that the overall diameter of the wheel is within spec (a slight change should be fine) and the offset of the rim matches (or is close to) the original rim, it's okay. Offset and width of the rim is what mostly governs whether the tyre touches the wheel will on full steering lock. So make sure you check offset and width. 

3. The size you have mentioned is just 5mm larger than the original wheel and should be fine. The width is 10mm different, so you might want to check if the current set up has more than 10mm clearance on all sides. Especially on full steering lock. I'm pretty sure it does. 

4. There are many shops. JJ Lanka Mount Lavinia is one that I can recommend. I'm not sure if they're still operational, but they had a really large collection of alloys.

Hi @Davy,

Thanks for the info. I can definitely understand the subject better now.

Do you know how I can find out the offset and rim as per manufacturer specs? I tried combing the interwebs and also going through the owners manual, but I was only able to find the whee size (12")

Today, I popped the spare wheel out (still stock from the factory) and examined it. There were 3 things stamped on it:

1. 1508H SSWL 3.5BX12 65AR3

2. H 25

3. 270815 06 A95136

Any idea about what these numbers mean? Can I find out the offset and width from one of these 3?

Cheers!

I'm not sure what those prints are. They're probably serial numbers and model codes etc.

As for measuring width and offset, I'm surprised you couldn't find anything online. After a few seconds of searching on YouTube, I found this:

The video above talks about many other measurements like diameter, bolt pattern etc. But since you know you're going for 13"s, diameter is fixed in your case. Make sure you get the alloys test fitted and you shouldn't be having any issues with bolt pattern. So all you really need to worry about is width and offset. 

Maybe something you don't want to hear, but it sounds like you settled on the Alto with an idea of upgrading soon-ish?

If that's the case, maybe you want to reconsider if you want to spend on non-essential add ons. Investments like these rarely adds to the recovery at the point of sale.

But if you still want to go ahead, pull one of the wheels out (maybe your spare doesn't have the same markings as the other wheels) and find the offset. You may even be able to find it if you google.

Then, figure out which wheels you want to go for and get the offset, diameter and width of those wheels.

Feed those into the site below and it will say exactly how much the wheel will move within the wheel well and you should be able to figure out any clearance issues.

https://www.willtheyfit.com/

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2018 at 4:16 PM, Hoonigan said:

Maybe something you don't want to hear, but it sounds like you settled on the Alto with an idea of upgrading soon-ish?

If that's the case, maybe you want to reconsider if you want to spend on non-essential add ons. Investments like these rarely adds to the recovery at the point of sale.

But if you still want to go ahead, pull one of the wheels out (maybe your spare doesn't have the same markings as the other wheels) and find the offset. You may even be able to find it if you google.

Then, figure out which wheels you want to go for and get the offset, diameter and width of those wheels.

Feed those into the site below and it will say exactly how much the wheel will move within the wheel well and you should be able to figure out any clearance issues.

https://www.willtheyfit.com/

@Hoonigan that's true, I've also been thinking about it. I'm actually thinking of upgrading within the year.. So yeah, it kind of doesn't make sense to go for the alloys right now...