• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Fiat Grande Punto or Peugeot 308

Kal-El

Question

Hi

I am currently using a Jaguar S Type for almost 03 years and recently decided to buy a more practical European hatchback or family car under 03 million rupees.

So far, my top picks are,

1. Peugeot 308 (year 2008-2011) - price around 2.7 to 3.2 million - Hatchback

2. Fiat Grande Punto (year 2006-2008 - price around 1.8-2.4 million

3. Peugeot 307 Facelift - year 2007 - price 2.0 -2.3 milion

What would be the better choice of above in terms of reliability, parts availability, maintenance costs, driving pleasure and comfort, etc.

Or is there any other European hatchback or family cars that are better than either of above for prices not exceeding 3.0 - 3.5 million

Highly appreciate your valuable guidance.

PEUGEOT-308-5-Doors-4117_38.jpg

2007-fiat-grande-punto-2_1600x0w.jpg

10 answers to this question

Nothing in particular is wrong with my Jag. But recently my monthly running mileage has increased significantly and fuel cost (with recent fuel price increase) has starting to creep deeper to my pocket. 

Also I am hoping to buy a Jaguar XJ (2005-2009) in 02-03 years and decided to buy something less imposing and more practical for the next 02-03 years.

I've seen only few examples of Peugeot 308 in Sri Lanka and the details availability is also scarce. Do you have any first hand experience with the 308 or its smaller sibling, 207/

On 6/2/2018 at 4:45 AM, Twin Turbo said:

I'd get a car with at least a dis functional dealer.?

Lack of dealership is not a huge concern for me as I do not intent to give away all the hard earned cash to dealers for a car that is a decade old.

Also, Peugeot has CARMART.

If low running costs are what you're after a diesel grande punto would be the better option. These cars are well depreciated by now hence won't be loosing much in 2-3 years. Only problem being due to the low price may not have been maintained properly. Most are hacked to death with cheap parts & labour. Find a good specimen & you should be sorted. May not to do great in bumper to bumper traffic but mixed driving conditions will give you good 15-18km/l. 

• Thanks 1

Apart from the Grande Punto, I've seen a Fiat Bravo of Year 2011. How this Bravo compares to the Grande Punto? Can you point me in the direction of finding a well maintained example (prefer the dark green color - shown in the attachment) and I've seen these are ranging from 1.7 to 2.5 million. What would be the great price for a properly maintained example

Also highly appreciate your feedback. 

$_86.JPG

18 hours ago, Kal-El said:

Apart from the Grande Punto, I've seen a Fiat Bravo of Year 2011. How this Bravo compares to the Grande Punto? Can you point me in the direction of finding a well maintained example (prefer the dark green color - shown in the attachment) nd I've seen these are ranging from 1.7 to 2.5 million. What would be the great price for a properly maintained example

Also highly appreciate your feedback. 

$_86.JPG

Hope you're referring to below,

1200px-Fiat_Bravo_II_front_20100501.thumb.jpg.53b5f8ed1ecd94ebe91acaf78338ed62.jpg

There's actually not much of the above brought down to the country. But believe almost all of these cars came with MT & 1.9 diesel tc. Haven't driven one but ppl say the clutch is a bit on the heavy side. Should ride much better than a punto n looks classy as well. Also given it's a manual hopefully no dualogic pains for you. Fc should be good as well. Hard part is convincing a current owner to part with one. Dnt think they'd do for the amount you're suggesting. These were originally quoted  for 9mn. Dnt know anyone personally but knw there's one car being used by the original guys who brought down these babies. Beige colour model that is. Also another grey daily driven exists belonging to one medical professional. Sadly haven't seen a dark green model yet.

On 6/2/2018 at 3:16 PM, Kal-El said:

Nothing in particular is wrong with my Jag. But recently my monthly running mileage has increased significantly and fuel cost (with recent fuel price increase) has starting to creep deeper to my pocket. 

Also I am hoping to buy a Jaguar XJ (2005-2009) in 02-03 years and decided to buy something less imposing and more practical for the next 02-03 years.

I've seen only few examples of Peugeot 308 in Sri Lanka and the details availability is also scarce. Do you have any first hand experience with the 308 or its smaller sibling, 207/

Sorry I gave up using peugeot after 407. In fact you want be able to save any significant amount with your downgrade. My advice for you is to stick with your S type. Also JAG will be more practical and reliable compared to a Fiat.