• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Anti Scratch Coating or Sticker

Jsee881

Question

Hello, 

So one of my friend recommended me getting an anti scratch chemical coating or a sticker coating to prevent my car from scratches. I see there are a lot’s of choices out there in the market. even some high end foreign brands. Can any one help me narrow my options. 

Good day.

10 answers to this question

32 minutes ago, Jsee881 said:

Hey,

Planning to get my car roof a nice glossy black dip job. Should I consider stickers instead? Plasti dip okay for the original paint? and how much should I spend with this?

Definitely a sticker over Plasti Dip. Here's why:

Cheaper: You'd just have to spend only a few hundred bucks for the sticker itself. With Plasti Dip, you will have to buy the base colour (black) and then a Glossifer as well. Glossifier is what gives it the mirror finish. The base black will look like satin black. So you'd have to buy up to 4 spray cans (2 black, 2 Glossifier) which will cost you several times as much as the cost of a vinyl sticker. 

Easy to Apply: With Plasti Dip, you will have to mask the entire car but the roof to avoid overspray to do a proper job. You would have to apply a couple of tack coats and then the final coat of base followed by a couple of thick Glossifier coats. This will take several hours of work whereas the sticker can be cut and installed within about half an hour (depending on how hard it is to remove any antennas and railings on your roof - if any).

To answer your questions, yes, Plasti-Dip is okay on any paint. I'm not sure how much a Plasti-Dip can costs in Sri Lanka, but I doubt it would be less than a couple of thousand rupees. 

Edited by Davy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Davy said:

Cheaper: You'd just have to spend only a few hundred bucks for the sticker itself. With Plasti Dip, you will have to buy the base colour (black) and then a Glossifer as well. Glossifier is what gives it the mirror finish. The base black will look like satin black. So you'd have to buy up to 4 spray cans (2 black, 2 Glossifier) which will cost you several times as much as the cost of a vinyl sticker. 

Easy to Apply: With Plasti Dip, you will have to mask the entire car but the roof to avoid overspray to do a proper job. You would have to apply a couple of tack coats and then the final coat of base followed by a couple of thick Glossifier coats. This will take several hours of work whereas the sticker can be cut and installed within about half an hour (depending on how hard it is to remove any antennas and railings on your roof - if any).

To answer your questions, yes, Plasti-Dip is okay on any paint. I'm not sure how much a Plasti-Dip can costs in Sri Lanka, but I doubt it would be less than a couple of thousand rupees. 

Machang, dont know if this is correct as I remember 3M guys quoting over 150k to do a car about 2-3 years back. 

34 minutes ago, trinity said:

Machang, dont know if this is correct as I remember 3M guys quoting over 150k to do a car about 2-3 years back. 

I was referring specifically for a regular black vinyl sticker that goes on the roof machang. Not the paint protection stuff. Yeah, I remember reading about the 3M paint protection stuff on the forum several years ago and it being really expensive.

On 6/1/2018 at 8:08 AM, trinity said:

Does this refer to 3m paint protection film or crystal coating?

Edited by K.o.N.o.S

On 6/1/2018 at 6:26 AM, Davy said:

Cost about 5000 bucks a can here, I got down some back in 2011, but still amazed how long it lasts, I used one on a 3rd brake light to get the smoke effect, the thing hasnt even faded to date. 

10 hours ago, tiv said:

Cost about 5000 bucks a can here, I got down some back in 2011, but still amazed how long it lasts, I used one on a 3rd brake light to get the smoke effect, the thing hasnt even faded to date. 

Yeah it doesn't fade or peel away easily. Especially if you have a couple of coats in there. I've got the front grille of my car plasti dipped in black, and it's holding up quite well. Also a friend's car where I plasti dipped the wheels - this was a couple of years ago and his car is a daily driver. Despite all the beating,the wheels go through, the dip is still intact.

5000 for a can is pretty steep. For OP, a normal glossy black vinyl sticker on the roof is the best option IMO.