• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Montero io or Daihatsu terios 2006

DKing

Question

Hi guys, I'm planning to up grade my ride to a mini SUV and thought of gathering some information before heading to buy.

My concerns are

Fuel efficiency

Comfort

Maintainace

Resale value

Appericiate your valuable comments on above two models or anything within the budget of 3.5 mil.[emoji4]

Sent from my [device_name] using http://AutoLanka.com mobile app powered by Tapatalk

3 answers to this question

First of all you need to understand that you will not get fuel efficiency, comfort and resale value in one package. 

If you can find a Montero io, it will be the better vehicle of the two.

Both vehicles do around 6kmpl (I am 100% certain this is what terios gives). Terios probably has a better resale value but it sucks when it comes to comfort. IO will be better in terms of comfort. Maintainability will be more or less equal for both.

An older diesel pajero (computer model or something as they call it) should be in the same price range and will offer better fuel efficiency, more comfort and better resale value. Maintaining might be a challenge owing to its age.

• Like 2

@OP - at your budget range there are lot of SUV ish options  but truth be told it's really difficult to fulfill all your criteria. The terios is newer, a very simple vehicle to maintain but it's not quite an SUV the io on other hand has more to it and if you're at peace with the fact that you will never get good fuel economy i'd go with the IO

1 hour ago, Crosswind said:

Maintaining might be a challenge owing to its age.

to add to that at this point interiors and the little bits and pieces of many of them are worn out (true there are  exceptions)  to the point where one day you will suddenly look at the yellowed out gauges , the worn out dashboard , the decaying door beading and the faded door panels and think 'is this what i spent 3.5 M on'  - if you're ok with that then thats fine 

one more thing the  older diesel SUV's are ripe for manipulation by our creative sri lankans - look carefully for documents sometimes there are body permits etc involved. Some older SUV's are registered as heavy vehicles (61-XXXX/62-XXXX) and would ideally require you to have a heavy-vehicles license - its not a huge deal but a cop can cause trouble for you if he felt like it if you were driving one with a normal CC1 license. 

@OP:- Used a terios 2007 for almost 10 years and ran it for 138000kms without much trouble. To be honest it didn't give any serious trouble. The Ac compressor failed over time and that was an easy fix. So did the cooler fan motor and we had to replace the clutch and the pressure plate twice over that period. (Mine was a manual). 

It does around 6-9 on short runs and will do around 12 max when you travel for long distances. There is nothing much in terms of creature comforts other than the bare necessities. It does come with a small Multi Information Display but other than that there is nothing much. Can't do serious off roading (unless modified a bit I guess) and its reasonably comfortable. Nothing great but it is ok. Don't expect the comfort of a car. The full time 4wd is useful here in SL and the vehicle is quite grippy but there is body roll around corners.

I kind of still love it over the one im using now because of its ground clearance and space. Leg room is good at the back and you can split fold the seats so can carry a decent amount of luggage. Even without folding the rear seats there is a decent amount of boot space. 

Yup easy to maintain. No serious niggles. Will get you from a to b in relative comfort. 

• Like 1