• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Coolant Issue...Suzuki HT51S

mjayanath

Question

The coolant level in reservoir tank is about half inch above MAX level  and the coolant in Radiator is bit low when I check in the morning. I usually fill the radiator and reservoir tank to MAX level as specified before a long drive. It seems like the coolant has not returned back to Radiator. Appreciate any comments on this.

24 answers to this question

16 minutes ago, mjayanath said:

I don't. Have to buy one.

I think you didn't understand the reply by Davy.

Else you run the car w/o the radiator cap:P??? less likely:speechless-smiley-004:!!!

Is your radiator cap original or not?

Radiator caps are not usual bottle caps. It has lots of engineering inside.

A factory specified cap is essential to maintain pressure and to protect the cooling system.

radcapir3.jpg

Edited by gNaveendra
figure added

15 minutes ago, gNaveendra said:

I think you didn't understand the reply by Davy.

Else you run the car w/o the radiator cap:P??? less likely:speechless-smiley-004:!!!

Is your radiator cap original or not?

Yes, this was my question. 

An aftermarket radiator cap with a low pressure rating might cause coolant overflow to the expansion sooner than it's required. 

Extremely sorry Mr. Davy...Thank you Mr. gNaveendra.

Cap is an original one but used. It came with the used radiator which I bought few months back, to replace the leaking radiator. No idea about the condition.

1 hour ago, mjayanath said:

Cap is an original one but used. It came with the used radiator which I bought few months back, to replace the leaking radiator. No idea about the condition.

If you have the original radiator lying around, compare the two caps and see if they are rated from the same pressure. The pressure rating should either be printed on the label on the cap or be engraved onto the metal of the cap.

Does the car overheat?

36 minutes ago, mjayanath said:

Pressure rating is 1.1 bar.

The car overheating issue solved some time back after replacing the radiator fan. There is no overheating now. Temperature gauge indicator stays at center position all the time.

Is this the situation when your car is not running?

Edited by gNaveendra

From what you have mentioned, I don't see any issues with the car. For now, fill up the radiator fully and adjust the coolant level of the expansion tank to be between min and max (almost touching Max). Drive as normal and keep an eye on the temperature gauge.

The lower coolant level in the radiator is probably air that was bled out of the system after the repair. 

Edited by Davy

8 hours ago, mjayanath said:

8 hours ago, mjayanath said:

Get a compression leak test done on the cooling system.possible gasket failiure due to the affore mentioned overheating..And replace the rad cap for good measure.

Edited by Twin Turbo

22 hours ago, mjayanath said:

The coolant level in reservoir tank is about half inch above MAX level  and the coolant in Radiator is bit low when I check in the morning. I usually fill the radiator and reservoir tank to MAX level as specified before a long drive. It seems like the coolant has not returned back to Radiator. Appreciate any comments on this.

Hi @mjayanath

I had the same issue in my Honda. However, i noticed that coolant has been leaking out from the cap. And there was two visible small holes on the edge of my top tank. Therefore, i removed the tank and took it to the radiator house and got a pressure test done and leaks were found(above mentioned two holes). 

I asked them to clean the whole radiator and fix the holes as well. At the meantime changed my radiator cap as well. Now everything is sorted.

If you don't see any leaks, i would suggest you to change the radiator cap and see as it only cost you 600-700.

4 minutes ago, mjayanath said:

Thank you all for quick response.

There are varies kinds of Radiator caps available in the market with a pressure rating 1.1 bar. Do you have any suggestions?

I have seen only 0.9 bar and 1.1 bar.. Radiator shop told me that usually honda's comes with 1.1 bar. But i had a 0.9 bar cap previously. Also checked with my mechanic he asked me to go for 0.9 bar. So i bought a 0.9 bar cap and so far no issues. Coolant doesn't reduce in either.

#sankei brand is good as it comes from Japan. Below link is for your preference.

https://www.google.lk/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fi.ebayimg.com%2Fimages%2Fg%2FUX4AAMXQHU1RxpPG%2Fs-l300.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FSANKEI-Made-in-Japan-Radiator-Cap-KH-C30-13lbs-0-9-Bar-%2F271257349981&docid=ku7GtzXDIVNByM&tbnid=TVrXLTtN65hLoM%3A&vet=10ahUKEwjzi8PL6IbbAhWLL1AKHTFlAv0QMwg3KAAwAA..i&w=297&h=300&bih=662&biw=1366&q=radiator cap sankei&ved=0ahUKEwjzi8PL6IbbAhWLL1AKHTFlAv0QMwg3KAAwAA&iact=mrc&uact=8

Edited by PerfMad

4 minutes ago, SKAF said:

I have a HT51S and my radiator cap is Sankei 0.9. When I asked from my mechanic he advice to get a good quality reconditioned one rather than low quality new one. :unsure:

So as per him Sankei is a low quality one? hmmm .. but that's the most available brand (as per my understanding). But you can buy a sankei for the moment to see your issue is no longer there. And later you can slowly find a genuine recon cap and use it (and keep this as a backup. Just a suggestion)

3 minutes ago, PerfMad said:

So as per him Sankei is a low quality one? hmmm .. but that's the most available brand (as per my understanding). But you can buy a sankei for the moment to see your issue is no longer there. And later you can slowly find a genuine recon cap and use it (and keep this as a backup. Just a suggestion)

Maybe the Sankei available in some shops not original or good quality? Yes will do like that. 

1 hour ago, SKAF said:

Maybe the Sankei available in some shops not original or good quality? Yes will do like that. 

The one i bought , owner said its from Japan and packing also confirmed it. However. since it doesn't cost much why not give it a try and see.. You won't loose alot even if it didn't work.

Thank you all for your replies.

Yesterday I replaced the Radiator cap with a new one (Brand - Sankei cost me  Rs.700 only). When I checked the coolant tank this morning, still  the coolant level is about half inch above MAX level. The problem still exists.?

The excess amount of coolant in the Reservoir tank (above MAX level) is enough to fill the Radiator, Meaning No coolant leak.

Any suggestions please?????

There is a coolant reduction in radiator. The reduced amount of coolant in radiator is almost equivalent to the excess amount of coolant in the reservoir.

I did not hear any pressure release when I open the radiator cap after cooling over night.

2 hours ago, mjayanath said:

After replacing the radiator cap with a new one, more coolant remain in reservoir tank...

Any comments??????

Carefully check the upper sealing surface for cracks or dents causing a small air leak.