• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

How to Pay Traffic Fines at Court

Dear Friends

Today i was caught by the traffic police for driving the vehicle with an expired revenue license. They asked me to appear in court.

As this is the first time i am going to court for a traffic violation, i have no idea of what the process is. Do i need to hire a layer for traffic violation related court cases ?. What happens inside the court and how do i pay the penalty ?.

Can someone help me to understand the procedure please .

Thanks.

Edited by nissanb15

Go to the police station asap and ask (beg) them to convert it to a fine. Better if you get the new revenue license first and take it with you.

Do not step in to a Sri Lankan courtroom unless u have absolutely no other choice. I'm sure u have heard of Sugandika Fernando by now. Not 100% of what she says is true but in my opinion, quite a lot of it is!

2 hours ago, nissanb15 said:

Dear Friends

Today i was caught by the traffic police for driving the vehicle with an expired revenue license. They asked me to appear in court.

As this is the first time i am going to court for a traffic violation, i have no idea of what the process is. Do i need to hire a layer for traffic violation related court cases ?. What happens inside the court and how do i pay the penalty ?.

Can someone help me to understand the procedure please .

Thanks.

Hey Nissanb15. first of all you should not have driven the vehicle with an expired license. hoping you will learn from your mistake.these are the fundamentals people seem to forget these days. i am guessing you will need to hire a lawyer to appear in the courtroom.

Hey Nissanb15. first of all you should not have driven the vehicle with an expired license. hoping you will learn from your mistake.these are the fundamentals people seem to forget these days. i am guessing you will need to hire a lawyer to appear in the courtroom.

The OP might have forgotten the expiry/renewal dates.

Really should he hire a lawyer? If he do so, is it possible to escape from paying penalty?

8 hours ago, gNaveendra said:

The OP might have forgotten the expiry/renewal dates.

Really should he hire a lawyer? If he do so, is it possible to escape from paying penalty?

Well...a lawyer would help...just so that the person would know how to deal with the proceedings instead of just standing there clueless. But it is not entirely necessary I suppose.

Can you get away without paying a fine/penalty ? with 99.9% probability; no....there will be some kind of punishment. Forgetting to renew your licence should not be an acceptable defense. A lawyer might be useful if you want to ask for leniency and go for the lowest possible fine/penalty. But then again..what is the fine/penalty for driving with an expired license ? Because that would determine if getting a lawyer is worth it or not.

If you do not know the presiding better to get a lawyer as he she will be able to appear and get a lower fine as this is your 1st.

Better if you could get a introduction to a lawyer before so that you will not get plaid out there, may be through a relation, friend, colleague..

They charge standard rates for minor offenses like this Rs. 1500-2000

Go neatly dressed, long sleeve shirt (light color) Tie might not be practical as these places get cramped up.

Depending on the court better to go with someone else as some times they put you in to temporary remand until the fine is paid so you need someone to pay it for you.

Certain courts i believe allow you to pay the fine your self.

These are life long lessons not to do stupid mistakes and end up in courts

Others please learn from this

• Like 1

I was given a ticket/fine for hitting a vehicle from the back and had to  appear in court, do not get a lawyer they are a complete waist of money, 

just accept the charge and pay the money. do not hire a lawyer!!!! just take a friend with you and he will have to pay the fine and show the receipt to the cop, then you will be released !!!!

54 minutes ago, nissanb15 said:

Thanks, iRange for the valuable Input. as per the police there will be a 3500 fine.

Well...then you have to decide....do you want to plead guilty and pay the fine ? or do you want to spend money for a lawyer and try to get the fine reduced ? Mind you, after you pay the fine and the lawyer your total cost might be more than 3500LKR :) 

So as long as it is not you getting thrown in jail or getting your license suspended...then maybe it would just make sense to bite the bullet and pay the fine. I think the bigger fine you will pay is in terms of time and mental anxiety...

1 hour ago, wolseley said:

Don't show your ticket to a lawyer at traffic courts first.  He will snatch it and put in his pocket so you end up hiring him.

What do you mean?

Will your advise work? I don't think so.

3 hours ago, iRage said:

Well...then you have to decide....do you want to plead guilty and pay the fine ? or do you want to spend money for a lawyer and try to get the fine reduced ? Mind you, after you pay the fine and the lawyer your total cost might be more than 3500LKR :) 

So as long as it is not you getting thrown in jail or getting your license suspended...then maybe it would just make sense to bite the bullet and pay the fine. I think the bigger fine you will pay is in terms of time and mental anxiety...

Hooray!

When you are @ courts and when your name and case is called just accept your charge as guilty. Take a friend with you to pay the fine and you will be released. You will not be able to contest as you have not renewed the license. However there will not be any restrictions on you driving license. 

I've never appeared in courts as a defendant myself but I did appear as a witness in a hit-and-run case. And I understood the hard way why Sri Lankan public don't wish to appear as witnesses for anything. 

There are only 2 words you need to know. "Varadakaru Swaameeni". That's all. You don't need a lawyer to say that. You will go there at 9 in the morning, wait till the bailiff calls your case number and your name and step up to the defendant's box. The bailiff will read out the charges at 100 words per second speed. You will just say "varadakaru swaameeni" and it will be over in 3.5 seconds.

Your fine will be read out by the bailiff. Most likely the judge wont even raise his head and look at you. After the session is over, you will wait, pay the fine, wait again and then collect your license. Estimated total time: 6 hours. Estimated meditation time: 5 hours 58 minutes.

You actually don't need to wear formal clothes. It's not an FCID case. Just wear a shirt and a trouser. Don't take your mobile phone or any other personal belongings inside. Practice meditation before you go. You will need it.

Here's an old post on the same topic: 

• Like 7

• 2 months later...

Any body please let me know how cops issues fines, court fines, i know how the spot fine works but what about court fine? Do they issue us temporary licenses as same as spot fine or just send a ‘sethasiya’ to our home without providing  any kind of paper at spot of copped? Please let me know. 

Thanks

Edited by SamMini

• 2 years later...

How much is the fine for parking in a no parking zone?

If the person is told he has to go to court. Urgent reply would be appreciated. He tried to convert to a fine but it didn't work he has been directed to court. 

Edited by Michelin

• 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...

Once you receive that ticket, you'll usually find information on it about how to pay the fine. The court will specify the amount due and the various payment options available. Now, let's break it down step-by-step:

1. Read the Ticket Carefully: Take a deep breath and read the ticket thoroughly. Make sure you understand the violation, the fine amount, and the due date for payment.

2. Check for Online Payment Options: Many courts now offer online payment options, which can be super convenient. Visit the court's website or the payment portal mentioned on the ticket.

3. Pay in Person: If online payment isn't an option or you prefer a more personal touch, you can pay in person at the court stated on the ticket. The court clerk will assist you with the payment process.

4. Mail the Payment: Some courts accept payments through mail. If this option is available, follow the instructions on the ticket for mailing the payment.

5. Keep a Record: Whatever payment method you choose, keep a record of the transaction. Save the receipt or confirmation number as proof of payment.
    paulmankin

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, paulmankin said:

Once you receive that ticket, you'll usually find information on it about how to pay the fine. The court will specify the amount due and the various payment options available. Now, let's break it down step-by-step:

1. Read the Ticket Carefully: Take a deep breath and read the ticket thoroughly. Make sure you understand the violation, the fine amount, and the due date for payment.

2. Check for Online Payment Options: Many courts now offer online payment options, which can be super convenient. Visit the court's website or the payment portal mentioned on the ticket.

3. Pay in Person: If online payment isn't an option or you prefer a more personal touch, you can pay in person at the court stated on the ticket. The court clerk will assist you with the payment process.

4. Mail the Payment: Some courts accept payments through mail. If this option is available, follow the instructions on the ticket for mailing the payment.

5. Keep a Record: Whatever payment method you choose, keep a record of the transaction. Save the receipt or confirmation number as proof of payment.
    paulmankin

Very informative. Thank you very much