Jump to content
  • Welcome to AutoLanka

    :action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Sign in to follow this  
chamilak

LANCER EX ignition coil required

Recommended Posts

Hi, 

I'm using a LANCER EX (2010) model. andreacently, I got serviced car from CAREPOINT. after the service " CHECK ENGINE" light indicated and I showed it to service advisor. He came and plugged a OBD reader and told me that there was a MISS FIRE and now error cleared and no problem to drive.

But when I'm driving the car, I noticed a miss and car was not accellorating. thenagain I went to CAREPOINT and they checked and told me that there is a problem in one IGNITION COIL and have to replace it. but they didnt accept it as their fault. 

Now, I need to find a ignition coil for the car. When I checked it at Agent, it is about 28,500LKR. 

Anyone, knows a place to buy this item cheaper price?

Is there a risk by replacing a compatible unit instead of branded part?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, 

I'm using a LANCER EX (2010) model. andreacently, I got serviced car from CAREPOINT. after the service " CHECK ENGINE" light indicated and I showed it to service advisor. He came and plugged a OBD reader and told me that there was a MISS FIRE and now error cleared and no problem to drive.

But when I'm driving the car, I noticed a miss and car was not accellorating. thenagain I went to CAREPOINT and they checked and told me that there is a problem in one IGNITION COIL and have to replace it. but they didnt accept it as their fault. 

Now, I need to find a ignition coil for the car. When I checked it at Agent, it is about 28,500LKR. 

Anyone, knows a place to buy this item cheaper price?

Is there a risk by replacing a compatible unit instead of branded part?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why didn't you get the car serviced by the authorized agent? For a Lube service, it costs less than 12k, I reckon Carepoint charge more than that. 

Did you get the car checked by the agent? 

Pinging @trinity @Davy @Harry (aq)  One of them should know a place to get it for cheap 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You might be able to find a used genuine ignition coil in Delkanda area if you search a bit. Keep in mind that they're used, and you can't really tell how long they've been used for.

Did the people at DontCarePoint wash the engine bay using high pressure?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Davy said:

You might be able to find a used genuine ignition coil in Delkanda area if you search a bit. Keep in mind that they're used, and you can't really tell how long they've been used for.

Did the people at DontCarePoint wash the engine bay using high pressure?

UNIMO guys wash the engine bay with high-pressure water too @Davy (Though they keep the nozzle really far) 

I got it done once (first service) only, decided against it seeing as there is no point. Nothing bad happened though. Mine has the plastic engine cover, many EXs doesn't 

Edited by Hyaenidae

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Hyaenidae said:

UNIMO guys wash the engine bay with high-pressure water too @Davy (Though they keep the nozzle really far) 

I got it done once (first service) only, decided against it seeing as there is no point. Nothing bad happened though. Mine has the plastic engine cover, many EXs doesn't 

That's just absurd! They should be knowing better being the agent. I got my CS3 serviced from them once after a repair and they didn't wash the engine bay. 

Although the plastic engine cover is covering the engine, there are so many other electronics outside the cover. The electronic throttle for example and on the EX, the ECU is also in the engine bay, next to the air intake. So high pressure washing is asking for trouble. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Hyaenidae said:

UNIMO guys wash the engine bay with high-pressure water too @Davy (Though they keep the nozzle really far

I got it done once (first service) only, decided against it seeing as there is no point. Nothing bad happened though. Mine has the plastic engine cover, many EXs doesn't 

Its not only the high pressure that is the issue...it is the water itself.

1 hour ago, Davy said:

That's just absurd! They should be knowing better being the agent. I got my CS3 serviced from them once after a repair and they didn't wash the engine bay. 

Although the plastic engine cover is covering the engine, there are so many other electronics outside the cover. The electronic throttle for example and on the EX, the ECU is also in the engine bay, next to the air intake. So high pressure washing is asking for trouble. 

Perhaps they just wash the edge of the firewall to get rid of the leaves etc...under side of the bonnet  ? or just mist up the engine for a wipe ? Really depends on how far the nozzle was kept and in what "mode" the nozzle itself was on (if it is one of those fancier washers)

Edited by iRage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Davy said:

 

Although the plastic engine cover is covering the engine, there are so many other electronics outside the cover. The electronic throttle for example and on the EX, the ECU is also in the engine bay, next to the air intake. So high pressure washing is asking for trouble. 

1

I shouldn't have let them do that but didn't know what they were going to do until one of them started spraying down the engine bay. Guess I was lucky nothing happened. After that one time I always insist on not using water in the engine bay, just dusting with compressed air.

Many people leave their car at the workshop for service and collect it afterward - I reckon they pressure wash all those cars 

 

17 minutes ago, iRage said:

Its not only the high pressure that is the issue...it is the water itself.

Perhaps they just wash the edge of the firewall to get rid of the leaves etc  ? or just mist up the engine for a wipe ? Really depends on how far the nozzle was kept and in what "mode" the nozzle itself was on (if it is one of those fancier washers)

They kept the nozzle really far and didn't keep it on for more than a minute or two - perhaps they were misting it up like you said. After that, they wiped the engine bay and dried it using compressed air.

Edited by Hyaenidae

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, iRage said:

Its not only the high pressure that is the issue...it is the water itself.

Perhaps they just wash the edge of the firewall to get rid of the leaves etc...under side of the bonnet  ? or just mist up the engine for a wipe ? Really depends on how far the nozzle was kept and in what "mode" the nozzle itself was on (if it is one of those fancier washers)

Yeah maybe. Most electronic parts in the engine bay are resistant to a little water, so a mist wouldn't do any harm. However, I just wouldn't take the risk. 

See in a hot and humid country like Sri Lanka, if the engine is warm and if a sudden mist of cold water settles on the engine, condensation can build up inside the components (say the engine fuse box for example, which is hollow, and even small sensors for that matter). This condensation can drip onto components and damage them.

It's also important to know what's in the engine bay when you're pressure washing it. Like I said before, on the Lancer EX (basically all 10th generation Lancers), the main ECU is in the engine bay. And I personally am not comfortable with any water being close to it. Some engine bays are totally shielded with plastic covers and these could probably fair a lot well with a bit of water splash. 

This is all due to all the complex electronics on modern cars. I remember none of this mattered on my 1979 Lancer. After pressure washing the engine, if the car doesn't start, cleaning the distributor is all that was necessary. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was surprised to see pressure washing the engine bay of a Aqua at Toyota lanka service centre,Delkanda.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://AutoLanka.com mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, H.C said:

I was surprised to see pressure washing the engine bay of a Aqua at Toyota lanka service centre,Delkanda.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://AutoLanka.com mobile app powered by Tapatalk
 

Strange....took our RAV4 there last year for a CVT oil and "service". They didn't pressure wash the engine. The guy held the pressure washer on the bonnet and the back of the firewall....then wiped the engine later....then another time one of the guys held the pressure washer on the radiator area and under guard because it was full of mud....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Davy said:

See in a hot and humid country like Sri Lanka, if the engine is warm and if a sudden mist of cold water settles on the engine, condensation can build up inside the components (say the engine fuse box for example, which is hollow, and even small sensors for that matter). This condensation can drip onto components and damage them.

 

.....but then the belief of most in SL is that if the engine is warm and you run it the condensation would evaporate before it can do any harm. Which can go either way....

When I wash the car..yes..I do wash the engine bay at times...but it is not on the engine and components around; but to wash away grime that is there at the bottom of bay...and underneath the battery tray, suspension hump, etc...but even then it is with either the small nozzle of the steam washer or a small nozzle off of a hose/tap.

Edited by iRage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was in the lobby and couldn't judge the exact places he avoid. But definitely directed the nozzle to the top part of the engine. I initially thought even a minimal amount of washing is not acceptable in hybrids. Stafford uses engine degreaser foam for engine bay cleaning.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://AutoLanka.com mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you must wash do it at home when the engine is cold using your garden hose.

you can avoid the electronics, alternator etc..  

Most of the cars have some sort of protection for water congestion, seepage however they become brittle and crack with age.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2018 at 12:45 PM, Hyaenidae said:

Why didn't you get the car serviced by the authorized agent? For a Lube service, it costs less than 12k, I reckon Carepoint charge more than that. 

Did you get the car checked by the agent? 

Pinging @trinity @Davy @Harry (aq)  One of them should know a place to get it for cheap 

 

 

 

Have you tried the option of hand carrying from Singapore?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register for a new account in our community. It's easy and FREE!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×