• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Nissan FB 14 Car Shutting down issue while driving

buddhika1234

Question

Hi friends, My car is nissan sunny FB 14 (1997) auto 1500cc. It shuts down while in traffic and illuminate engine check light on panel. But again get start normally when switch on. The frequency of shutting down the car is high while driving with Air Condition on and Lights on. With the AC also it can drive about 30 - 40 km without this problem. But after that problem begin. But it doesn't shut down when car gear is at "parking position". . I did efi tune up, throttle body change, air flow sensor cleaned. But problem is still there. plz help me.

25 answers to this question

Hi Buddhika, Welcome to the forum.

You say that the Check Engine light illuminates on the dashboard when the engine stalls. Did you get a diagnostic scan done? If yes, what were the error codes that were found? If not, you should get one done as the first step in diagnosing the issue. Blindly doing EFI tune-ups and throttle body clean-ups is not going to solve the issue.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, buddhika1234 said:

Hi friends, My car is nissan sunny FB 14 (1997) auto 1500cc. It shuts down while in traffic and illuminate engine check light on panel. But again get start normally when switch on. The frequency of shutting down the car is high while driving with Air Condition on and Lights on. With the AC also it can drive about 30 - 40 km without this problem. But after that problem begin. But it doesn't shut down when car gear is at "parking position". . I did efi tune up, throttle body change, air flow sensor cleaned. But problem is still there. plz help me.

Recommend to test with a scanner - would be good to drive while the scanner plugged in, don't think this is an issue related to fuel as you can let it run on "P" with no issues.

regards,

JC

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Davy said:

Hi Buddhika, Welcome to the forum.

You say that the Check Engine light illuminates on the dashboard when the engine stalls. Did you get a diagnostic scan done? If yes, what were the error codes that were found? If not, you should get one done as the first step in diagnosing the issue. Blindly doing EFI tune-ups and throttle body clean-ups is not going to solve the issue.

2 minutes ago, john cooper said:

Recommend to test with a scanner - would be good to drive while the scanner plugged in, don't think this is an issue related to fuel as you can let it run on "P" with no issues.

regards,

JC

2 hours ago, buddhika1234 said:

I did a diagnostic scan. But they couldn't find any error through that.

That's not possible. Please go to a proper garage and use a proper diagnostic tool to scan. Even if the Check Engine light disappears, the ECU's error log keeps the last raised errors until they are cleared, so unless there's something wrong with the way the scan was performed, I don't see why they couldn't find anything.

1 hour ago, bpcd said:

try with a new battery (temporary) and see if the problem persist. otherwise it might have a ECU malfunction.

You can't jump into conclusions like that without even knowing what error was raised. There are so many other things that need to be investigated before concluding that the ECU is faulty.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bpcd said:

try with a new battery (temporary) and see if the problem persist. otherwise it might have a ECU malfunction.

Totally agree with @Davy. This is what most garage people propose to do. They see replacing parts/units blindly is the easy way to diagnostic. 

• Like 1

I had the same problem with my first presea.. the cause was the fuel line was blocked as i can remember... a random guy who works at a paint garage took out the hose that connects to the fuel pump and cut the hose a bit and fitted it again and the car never stalled again. 

• Like 1

This certainly related to electrics and ECU is playing up. Primary suspect is a loose connector of the ECU. Try to get those pins tension properly and see before you get into complex solutions.

What was the tool they used to diagnose the problem?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, PreseaLover said:

I had the same problem with my first presea.. the cause was the fuel line was blocked as i can remember... a random guy who works at a paint garage took out the hose that connects to the fuel pump and cut the hose a bit and fitted it again and the car never stalled again. 

This indicate "check engine" so in my idea for fuel pressure issue won't indicate the check engine light on FB14, as they won't be fitted with a fuel pressure sensor (i might be wrong)

This car need a "proper" scan by a "proper" scan tool with experienced tech not a bas who is doing the garage for last 40 years.

without correct facts it is no point to go around different areas or come to conclusions.  

regards

JC

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shashika Bandara said:

Bro,I think your engine is under powered. Do you feel a misfire? Abnormal vibration?

yes, i feel little vibration. How can I recover this problem. I went for 02 or 03 recommended places. they did test drive also.  But always, they tried to repair or replace the throttle body.

20 hours ago, buddhika1234 said:

No RPM indicator in my car

But you can judge the RPM by just listening to the engine sound can't you? All you need is to observe whether RPM goes up in cold start and then if it comes down slowly over few minutes.

Maybe a grease momkey tried to tune it and reduced the idle to 350 rpm from the 850rpm recomended for auto box equiped cars.

Replace the air filter , check HT leads, replace sp plugs,check ign timimg, clean throttle body,check fuel filter.

Edited by Twin Turbo

On 5/2/2018 at 8:34 AM, buddhika1234 said:

if battery ok! check the cam and crank position sensors, and the wiring for short circuits or loose connectors!