• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

MG ZS 2018

trish_auto

So here is some feedback.

You cannot bend the side mirrors electrically. Not sure why this basic feature is not there.

Vehicle lights are yellow

Entertainment system doubles up as the gauges for the A/C system. For example if you turn the cold / heat knob the amount is displayed in the entertainment system. There is no other way to see this. So not sure if you can replace this with a aftermarket branded model to upgrade

A/C system is basic. no Auto function

Display on entertainment system is very poor quality. Even cheap chineses once have better displays

Sound system - poor

Seat belt warnings stay on even without anyone sitting on the seats. And goes off after some time

Interior build is pretty cheap

Seats average - not bad actually

Vehicle look is good- for me :)

Pickup is good

multi function has a lot of options, includes bluetooth as well

Supports Apple but not Android

No other fafety options than Airbags and ABS

So overall I would say if you really want a brand new SUV but don't have the money for that go for it. For a small SUV this is cheap! Else I feel the money will be wasted. 2nd hand market; not sure. But I have a good feeling PPL will not go for this. But I can be wrong :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 7/20/2018 at 1:05 PM, trish_auto said:

Interesting.. this is a story around 10 years back. one of my friends had  a micro Privilege car .  In deed it was a great privilege for him to park his car most of the time in micro garage and travelling by tuks. He got so much frustrated since micro couldn't to fix the car even after months and months of repairs. Finally micro agreed to offer him another model but he was supposed to pay some extra.  In fact he bought this car because it was so cheap compared to the other cars in the market at that time.  But he lost almost everything including his time because of this. 

From what I hear things are bit better now. Now they are actually capable of fixing the cars without offering a new one :) :)

But still parts are very high. Sometimes not in stock. Build quality is poor. And the service is really poor.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Mahasona said:

So here is some feedback.

You cannot bend the side mirrors electrically. Not sure why this basic feature is not there.

Vehicle lights are yellow

Entertainment system doubles up as the gauges for the A/C system. For example if you turn the cold / heat knob the amount is displayed in the entertainment system. There is no other way to see this. So not sure if you can replace this with a aftermarket branded model to upgrade

A/C system is basic. no Auto function

Display on entertainment system is very poor quality. Even cheap chineses once have better displays

Sound system - poor

Seat belt warnings stay on even without anyone sitting on the seats. And goes off after some time

Interior build is pretty cheap

Seats average - not bad actually

Vehicle look is good- for me :)

Pickup is good

multi function has a lot of options, includes bluetooth as well

Supports Apple but not Android

No other fafety options than Airbags and ABS

So overall I would say if you really want a brand new SUV but don't have the money for that go for it. For a small SUV this is cheap! Else I feel the money will be wasted. 2nd hand market; not sure. But I have a good feeling PPL will not go for this. But I can be wrong :)

Thanks mate for the feedback. Keep update us with the fuel economy and other mechanical issues (if any).  

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

The MG ZS is a sports utility vehicle (SUV) produced by the Chinese owned and its belong to SAIC Motors limited. SHANGHAI AUTOMOTIVE INDUSTRY CORPORATION.

MG Rover, the collapsed car manufacturer in UK, has been sold to a Chinese car maker SAIC motors,  and UK Longbridge, Birmingham Plant  is no more operating for MG. 
How  can be  MG car produced in UK? its surprising !!!!!!!!!!!!! from 2015 its MADE IN CHINA CARS. 

Chinese people always buy western product and produce in china . They  say made in UK or Europe. Chinese automobile is always cheap grade and unreliable. M-c-o always imports garbage vehicles BY UNDER INVOICING from CHINA because they don't have any option.

Its Miserable to say, poor country people buy the chines vehicles and waste their money, finally end up with problem.

As Sri Lankan we are educated generation.  We should think and decide nicely note to fall into trouble.

Japanese and Europe cars are always better.  Even Korean cars are better. Please Do not cheat Sri Lankan with china brands. 

Screenshot (4).png

Screenshot (5).png

• Thanks 1

On 7/24/2018 at 10:20 AM, Mahasona said:

From what I hear things are bit better now. Now they are actually capable of fixing the cars without offering a new one :):)

But still parts are very high. Sometimes not in stock. Build quality is poor. And the service is really poor.

YES ME TOO HAVE SAME EXPERIENCE WE SPEND A LOT TO REPAIR OUR SUV. ITS WASTE OF MONEY TO BUY SUCH CHEAP QUALITY VEHICLES AND SPEND MORE FROM OUR POCKET. but finally we went to Boralasgamuwa one capable person who repair it for normal cost.  its exactly true we also have BAD experience with their service and staffs.  now head ache over i sold my SUV .... HA HA and brought a good TOYOTA vehicle...I am HAPPPY!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

•  

The MG ZS is a sports utility vehicle (SUV) produced by the Chinese owned and its belong to SAIC Motors limited. SHANGHAI AUTOMOTIVE INDUSTRY CORPORATION.

MG Rover, the collapsed car manufacturer in UK, has been sold to a Chinese car maker SAIC motors,  and UK Longbridge, Birmingham Plant  is no more operating for MG. 
How  can be  MG car produced in UK? its surprising !!!!!!!!!!!!! from 2005 its MADE IN CHINA CARS. 

Chinese people always buy western product and produce in china . They  say made in UK or Europe. Chinese automobile is always cheap grade and unreliable.

Edited by shamaljayy

4 hours ago, ajm said:

everyone knows it's made in China. So are all iPhones. Question is which grade. The cars made for Europe should be similar to EU quality, but since M!cro is the importer I doubt it.

What lot of people don't realize is with Made in China products, you get exactly what you pay for. You can get the best quality in the world if you are willing to pay for it and you can also get the cheapest quality in the world, if you are on a shoestring.

With mobile phones, China has now positioned itself as the premium quality manufacturer. Not just the iPhone but Huaweis are good examples. If you use a Huawei phone, you would know that the bloody thing just refuses to die (somewhat reminiscent of the old Nokias).

Since my other personal interest is watches, did you know that there are Chinese-designed and Chinese-made watches which are valued more than Swiss brands like Tissot? On the other hand you can also find Chinese-made watches for less than a dollar.

With the auto-industry however, China is not there yet. So MG ZS for now is a passable product. So are other Chinese cars. At least for now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, shamaljayy said:

YES ME TOO HAVE SAME EXPERIENCE WE SPEND A LOT TO REPAIR OUR SUV. ITS WASTE OF MONEY TO BUY SUCH CHEAP QUALITY VEHICLES AND SPEND MORE FROM OUR POCKET. but finally we went to Boralasgamuwa one capable person who repair it for normal cost.  its exactly true we also have BAD experience with their service and staffs.  now head ache over i sold my SUV .... HA HA and brought a good TOYOTA vehicle...I am HAPPPY!!!!

Though people try to downgrade non-japanese/euros, reality is quite different. For example Korean Vehicles. I used a SSangyong Korando for 6 years and sold few days back. The vehicle did not trouble me at all,  given services, gear oil changes, fuel filter change were done timely. Though I did not earn a profit by selling the vehicle I fully enjoyed its use during past 6 years. Frankly, it gave less troubles than the Honda Fit we use as our second vehicle......

The problem of Sri Lankans is expecting unbreakable vehicles and considering the purchase of vehicle as a profitable investment!!!!!. We have totally got used for second hand/recondition parts from Japan for repairs and consider the use of a  Genuine part as a burden. 

Edited by vitz
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Well despite all the pros and cons, I saw several MG suv's roaming around the roads in Colombo.  Also couple of my friends already owing this model. So far they are happy interns of comfort, performance, options for the price they paid. Of course they can't be that happy with the fuel economy and the level of detailing.  This is the compromise what they paid for.  In vain, if they had gone for a japanese b/n suv, they would have spent another 3-4 million, from that they could have fuel the car for more than 150k kms. What is material here is the resale value of the vehicle after few years.  I think it is too early to say anything about it. 

1 hour ago, Skyonline said:

If you’re the sort of person who wants a nice looking small SUV that doesn’t cost too much and is more practical than some of its competitors, the MG ZS might be an option for you. 

practical ?

• Haha 1

The mg zs produced for the europian market comes with 7 years warrenty but micro sells with 5 years warrenty. Why do you think it is not 7 years if it is the same vehicle manufactured for Europe by china  ? 

The fact is Micro assembles some part of this  vehicle here and sells by adding very high tax which is applicable for only directly imported non assembled vehicles. Infact actual tax must be less since it is assembled here by micro  .

Isn't it fraudulent business ? ? 

My micro x25 engine has stopped starting  recently ( which is a basic function of any

vehicle ) within ten months of use and had to get road side assistance to get it repaired !!

my fuel consumption has always been 5-6 km per liter within city but these ash••es said it will Be 12 km per liter within city and 14 intercity when I first purchased it .

apart from these major issues, I have clearly mentioned about other problems that I have faced with my micro x25 previously at auto Lanka .

don't buy any products from these bast**%ds and don't get deceived by the looks especially Chinese products assembled at micro ! 

If you decide to buy you will regret to the maximum later. 

Check out this link for the warrenty details for euro Market 

https://mg.co.uk/files/2017-10-44/MGZSpresspack-complete_31-10-17.pdf

there is one of my neighbor who bought MG zs thinking that it will give 10 km within city as the agent said but now he is regretting as it gives only 6 km / littre due to the turbo engine. 

if you go buy fuel efficiency and second hand market value and after sale services and your precious time , you are definitely at greater loss if you decide to buy Chinese made products assembled by micro 

Edited by Haru
Additional information and correction of spelling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Haru said:

The mg zs produced for the europian market comes with 7 years warrenty but micro sells with 5 years warrenty. Why do you think it is not 7 years if it is the same vehicle manufactured for Europe by china  ? 

The fact is Micro assembles some part of this  vehicle here and sells by adding very high tax which is applicable for only directly imported non assembled vehicles. Infact actual tax must be less since it is assembled here by micro  .

Isn't it fraudulent business ? ? 

My micro x25 engine has stopped starting  recently ( which is a basic function of any

vehicle ) within ten months of use and had to get road side assistance to get it repaired !!

my fuel consumption has always been 5-6 km per liter within city but these ash••es said it will Be 12 km per liter within city and 14 intercity when I first purchased it .

apart from these major issues, I have clearly mentioned about other problems that I have faced with my micro x25 previously at auto Lanka .

don't buy any products from these bast**%ds and don't get deceived by the looks especially Chinese products assembled at micro ! 

If you decide to buy you will regret to the maximum later. 

Check out this link for the warrenty details for euro Market 

https://mg.co.uk/files/2017-10-44/MGZSpresspack-complete_31-10-17.pdf

there is one of my neighbor who bought MG zs thinking that it will give 10 km within city as the agent said but now he is regretting as it gives only 6 km / littre due to the turbo engine. 

if you go buy fuel efficiency and second hand market value and after sale services and your precious time , you are definitely at greater loss if you decide to buy Chinese made products assembled by micro 

Well Haru, Do you think it would be cheaper to import this from UK than getting from local agents ?  

When I went through the specs, UK has a 1.5 L version too. But it comes only with manual and lower powered than 1.0 L turbo , even at higher rpm. :unsure:

Here what I copied from the specs, 1.5 L vs 1.0 L

image.thumb.png.c8d4d4cea8047feee2c37b37d021a367.png

Also it seems 1.5 L less fuel efficient that of 1.0 L, see below

image.thumb.png.a4dfad920b6d11c2c01b053bb141223e.png

I wonder why they offer 1.5 L.:unsure:

Local agents always keep a margin for profit when they sell these stuff .

directly importing from either china or Europe will be definitely cheaper.

totak tax payable for 1L vehicle is around 1750000 and the CIF value of the SUV is 2,792,104.

( max price offered in  china for 1 l turbo exclusive DCT(dual clutch transmission ) variety is 120000 yuan 

and if you add other freight charges still total price would be less than 46.5laks 

i wonder if anyone other than micro is capable of doing service and major Repairs for this SUV if you decide to directly import this 

If someone has 5 mill to buy a SUV, why don't they buy a second hand Kia Sportage, RAV4, CRV, HRV, Outlander, Santafe, Honda Vezel Hybrid, X-Trail , Montero or something?

Why don't these guys understand that if you buy this, you are buying an unreliable vehicle form a shady agent just for the "Brandnew" badge?
Are Sri Lankans this naive?

This is not "රෑ වැටුන වලේ දවල් වැටෙනව"
This is "වලවල් හොයන් ගිහින් වැටෙනව" :D 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Haru said:

totak tax payable for 1L vehicle is around 1750000 and the CIF value of the SUV is 2,792,104.

( max price offered in  china for 1 l turbo exclusive DCT(dual clutch transmission ) variety is 120000 yuan 

and if you add other freight charges still total price would be less than 46.5laks 

i wonder if anyone other than micro is capable of doing service and major Repairs for this SUV if you decide to directly import this 

Car is sold at Rs. 5.0 Mn. cant a business keep a margin of at least 10%

Warranty, after sales, servicing facilities add cost

6 hours ago, Jason_Bourne said:

If someone has 5 mill to buy a SUV, why don't they buy a second hand Kia Sportage, RAV4, CRV, HRV, Outlander, Santafe, Honda Vezel Hybrid, X-Trail , Montero or something?

Why don't these guys understand that if you buy this, you are buying an unreliable vehicle form a shady agent just for the "Brandnew" badge?
Are Sri Lankans this naive?

This is not "රෑ වැටුන වලේ දවල් වැටෙනව"
This is "වලවල් හොයන් ගිහින් වැටෙනව" :D 

Quite true

One of my uncles had an issue with the same company few years back when they were assembling Rhino (Indian crap)

I told him to go for a used Jap instead he went ahead for wanting a brand new with Warranty.

Car was most of the time at the work shop attending to numerous issues

Drove and handled like shit

Ultimately it was sold for 50%-60% of the cost after about 3-4 years

Had he brought a Jap it would have been less troublesome and also would have given him a better resale (small profit)

10 hours ago, Haru said:

19-meme-wallpaper.jpg

8 hours ago, kush said:

Car is sold at Rs. 5.0 Mn. cant a business keep a margin of at least 10%

Warranty, after sales, servicing facilities add cost

Dude! its okay to keep a margin of 10 percent if micro is directly importing the mg zs made for Europian market but these liars  import parts of this vehicle for reduced tax rates just like what they did for micro x25 and assemble them here and fradeulently sell these garbage for Higher price tag as for a directly imported SUV with a higher margin of more than five laks . Did you get my point ? 

Let me clear another point for you  . You said that the profit goes for servicing and warranty. 

Micro doesn't deserve to gain this much of profit for the three free garbage service that they offer as none of the staffs are equipped with adequate knowledge and skills to atleast diagnose very basic issues . labor charges are free for the first three services onlyand usuall charges apply after 3 services . 

Micro doesn't use even a cent from this profit for warranty of any parts  as it is included in your CIF price which Is paid by the customer out of his or her own pocket and not micro 

Edited by Haru

10 minutes ago, Haru said:

Dude! its okay to keep a margin of 10 percent if micro is directly importing the mg zs made for Europian market but these liars  import parts of this vehicle for reduced tax rates just like what they did for micro x25 and assemble them here and fradeulently sell these garbage for Higher price tag as for a directly imported SUV with a higher margin of more than five laks . Did you get my point ? 

Let me clear another point for you  . You said that the profit goes for servicing and warranty. 

Micro doesn't deserve to gain this much of profit for the three free garbage service that they offer as none of the staffs are equipped with adequate knowledge and skills to atleast diagnose very basic issues . labor charges are free for the first three services onlyand usuall charges apply after 3 services . 

Micro doesn't use even a cent from this profit for warranty of any parts  as it is included in your CIF price which Is paid by the customer out of his or her own pocket and not micro 

Thats what you call doing business. Its up to the customers to make their choice based on risks and rewards

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Haru said:

What exactly is your definition of 'profit'?

16 hours ago, Crosswind said:

What exactly is your definition of 'profit'?

Crosswind Well, I will tell you what is not profit first all and then you infer my definition of profit from it.

Any financial gain that you get from customers hard earned money through "unthical business practices" ( micro is good example for this ) is not profit. It is basically day light robbery ! the opposit of this is considered as profit in my definition .

if you wonder what is ethical business practice 

meet me personally I will take a lecture for you 

• 2 months later...

This is my unbiased review of the MG ZS

First, I’d like to address why I’m writing this review.

• I’ve read so much of forums on this car before purchasing this car, and the majority of the people had low confidence in this car I should say this is brought to the minds of the people due to the fact that this car is made in China and is brought to Sri Lanka by Micro which apparently has a bad customer service (I do not know about this as I’ve been abroad my whole life, which brings me to the next point)
  • I lived and studied in the middle east, Where I had a wide exposure to a range of cars, Toyota Innova (2006-2008), Mazda CX-7 (2008-2011), Mitsubishi Montero (2010-2015) and BMW X1 (2016-2018), And finally the MG ZS (2018 - WHENEVER THIS BREAKS LOL) and I could assure you that this car was way above my expectations for a Chinese manufactured European car.
  • However this car Is pretty famous in the middle east as well, as its super cheap like waaay cheaper than in Sri Lanka, But it doesn’t come with a sunroof which is probably the reason why the car is priced less, along with no tax fee there (around 1.8 Million give or take a few million)
  • My parents owned an MG from back in the day, around 1998! So this was one of the reasons I was into purchasing this car.
  • However, this car is up there with the standards. Many may say this car looks just like the Mazda CX-5, the resemblance is uncanny, And the interior looks like like from the brand Audi :)
  • The fuel mileage is good! 8-9 KM/L within Colombo and around 17-18 KM/L outstation *UNLEADED OCTANE 95* (Note that this car is 3 Months old at this time of this review. So the breaking period of the car is way past :) )
  • This car could be used by anyone! A great and cheerful car from someone who hasn’t has any experience driving here before, As the safety features of this car are off the roof.
  • Apparently, MG Still designs the cars, and it is "0utsourced" to China's Saic Motors (who bought MG) Just like Apple and other major compainies :) 

Now to the Pros of this car!

• The look of this car is just SEXY! And the front is really aggressive and is good looking. The back not so much but it's alright.
  • The Daytime running lights look aggressive as well,And this is a major contributor to the look of the car.
  • The interior is really good, It looks plastic but it really isn’t, some might like the Carbon fiber plastic and some might not, it's up to the person driving the car.
  • The leg space for both the front and back passengers are crazy, And even on high-end Japanese cars don’t have this. (Toyota CH-R and the Honda Vezel )
  • The boot compartment space could fit 3 large sized pieces of baggage in and if you remove the slider then you probably could fit about another bad but this would impair your vision from the back mirror.
  • The connection to the OBDII port is easy.
  • The seats feel comfortable and feel a little sporty and have great support while taking sharp bends, but isn’t genuine leather but why am I even complaining at this price point.
  • Apple carplay, and this brings Google maps into the picture, which is self-explanatory, most modern high-end cars don’t have this feature along with the crappy onboard Navigation system.
  • The sunroof is the widest and longest I’ve seen ;)
  • The electric trip computer and options on, traction control, speed limit, tire pressure, L/100 KM, and the 2 Trip count along with fuel consumption
  • Huge space in the back after the passenger seats are being bent forward.

Now to the cons!

• WHY DON’T YOU INCLUDE ANDROID AUTO? That is a major bummer, And the android auto GUI is fully fledged and is much cleaner than that of the Apple counterpart! Sucks how we would have to buy an iPhone along with this car (5S and above) I’ve written to SAIC motors and MG UK regarding this hope we get at least a system update :)
  • Why does the UK model have Satellite Navigation inbuilt and we don’t?
  • The speakers of this car is horrible, not as bad but not that good either! But the 7 speaker system is impressive and even modern cars don't have that much!
  • Maybe this is just me, The car breaks creak for the first KM and then normal I don’t know if this is a result of leaving the car in the rain under a Sun shed but yes.
  • If you rev the engine about 3000 RPM the turbo kicks in and uses a lot of fuel instantly, This is okay but a major bummer.
  • The car feels like a toy in the lowest steering wheel setting can't remember what it is called but I guess that's the point of the mode?
  • The reverse sensor is a little off, I hit a telephone pole because I couldn’t see much (at 2 A.M.) and was relying heavily on the reverse cam and sensors
  • There is a big delay in Bluetooth feedback, (Around 2 seconds).
  • The buttons feel gimmicky and cheap maybe they aren’t but they feel that way, Especially the tailgate which gives me a heart attack every time I open using the tailgate.
  • Fuel economy within Colombo sucks, but this is normal and average with all the other cars, But wishing for less fuel consumption with the car is idle because of the smaller engine capacity.
  • The back passengers might feel the car is too high, for kids and older citizens they would basically slide into the car.
  • No armrest, we could by an external armrest but this is costly and wished it came along with the car.
  • The car comes with 1 USB port, and in the UK model it comes with two (One at 5V/2A and 5V/1A)
  • The pickup is good but the computer in the car feels sluggish and a little late in the repose I do not know how the computer works as this is my first Turbocharged car please do let me know though.
  • A/C system is basic there is not temperature climate control what so ever.
  • Video playback on the Infotainment system is bad and sluggish, and we can’t watch anything while going above a certain speed limit which is a bummer but that is also a safety concern
  • Car paint is horrible, not the exterior but the interior under the plastic.
  • There is no protection for internals from the legs on the driver's side as cables are hanging and all that mess
  • There is no lock and lights for the cabin :(
  • The FOB has a key but I can’t find a key door anywhere.
  • It could get noisy if you drive on the highway and at high speeds.
  • The suspension is kind of stiff but not too off.

Overall this car is great for the price point and honestly, I can’t even complain, Every car has its flaws, however, this car’s pros are on the top notch and way above the features included in a car of this price point! Hope some of the problems can be fixed by software updates via Micro or some other third party organization. :)

Cheers! 

Hope this gives clarity to anyone who is willing to buy this car.

Edited by Chamika99
  • Like 1