• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Engine Oil Grade - Recommended vs Cliamate

Sura1973

My car's (Boon) engine is Daihatsu's 1KR-FE (3 Cylinder/ 998cc)  which is the same engine for Toyota Passo, Vitz, Wigo as well as Perodua Axia and Bezza. Underneath the car bonnet the recommended oil grade is mentioned as 0W-20. Other instructions are in Japanese yet I see they have refereed 15,000 km and 100,000 km as some bench mark mileage which I dont understand exactly what it is for.

By the time I did my first oil change here in Sri Lanka the mileage was 3,000 km and hence I demanded the service station (accredited for the warranty period) to use the 0W-20. They said that for this engine they use 10W-30 (Caltex Mineral) which suits Sri Lanka's climate (Temperature). Also they said the 0W-20 recommended for Japan will lose its viscosity in Sri Lanka and would be thin like water soon.

I googled immediately and found out a 1KR-FE's mechanical manual which had a range of recommended oils along with a temperature scale. I found 10W-30 was also there so for the time being I was convinced and let them use that oil. But I stared feeling skeptical if my decision was right as I find local service stations do not know what compliance means.  

I am attaching the pictures of under the bonnet notice and engine mechanical manual extracts. Please help me to sort out the questions below which I feel would be very helpful to every car owner.

1) Is this statement on picking up a suitable oil from a recommended range as per the ambient temperature is correct?

2)  If my letting the service station to use the 10W-30 is not correct should I immediately go for a oil change to 0W-20 or should I do it after 5000km (next service)

3) What does this note in Japanese recommend ?

Thanks !

Under the Bonnet notice

IMG_20180415_101232.thumb.jpg.89fb2ff71531504861f840e40bc7f18a.jpg

1KR-FE Engine mechanical manual extract 

image.png.f37746a44711f8e0d713f6d2122476bd.png

Oil change 15000km or 1 year,  (7500) may be for harsh conditions

100,000km is to replace iridium spark plugs

0W-20 is used in Japan mainly to achieve emission and fuel consumption targets

10W -30 will have bit more viscosity and therefore could result in marginal loss in economy but i doubt will have any engine damage

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, kush said:

10W -30 will have bit more viscosity and therefore could result in marginal loss in economy but i doubt will have any engine damage

Thanks a million for that translation... As per what I red in internet there will be no damage but performance may vary. So I still await a better clarification as internet does not have enough resources explaining these cross boarder specification changes in grey market cars originally built for Japanese domestic use. 

• 4 years later...
On 4/23/2018 at 12:23 PM, kush said:

In my first service for my Passo (2016) I used 10W30 oil. I had run about 7000 km with that. Is it ok to switch to 0W20 in the next service? (Before the first service it was used in Japan and I think they had used 0W20 there as well)