• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Suggestions for a Newbie

Klord

Hello guys, 

I need your help in directing me to buy a good car for my need.

This is going to be my first car. My budget is 2 - 2.5 million. I work in Nuwara Eliya, but my home town is Galle. At least once a month I will be traveling home and most of those journeys will be at late night to avoid traffic. Therefor I need a good reliable car which suits long distant traveling with enough comfort

Initially I was thinking about Pug 406 as they are below 2 million rupees and has enough comfort with average fuel efficiency in long distance travels. But its very difficult to find a well kept Pug these days as owners are not selling well maintained cars. Checked several cars, but was disappointed. Now Im tired of my hunt for 406 and considering to go for a Japanese car.

So far I narrowed down my search to 

• Mitsubishi Lancer CS3 (CS1 is 1300cc lacks power for my purpose)  
  • Honda Civic (Seventh Gen) 

Civic is bit expensive than contemporary lancers. I have noted down several cars from web ads and planning to go and check them next week.

My queries are, 

(1) Will aforementioned cars satisfy my needs? If not suggest me better alternatives. 

(2) What should I be looking specifically when buying above cars (or any other one you mention)? I dont need an in depth review, just some overview thought is sufficient. 

I dont like hatchback cars and Indian/ Korean stuff :)

Any help would be really appreciated. Thank you very much. Cheers! 

Edited by Klord

CS1 does have enough power to go anywhere in Sri Lanka, ask @trinity or @Sampath Gunasekera

On 12/21/2012 at 10:00 AM, trinity said:

I've owned my car over 3 years and driven over 50 thousand Kms. Driven it to almost every corner of the country.. Jaffna, Bati, Kataragama, Nuwara Eliya, Kady, Riverston and what not.. Some of those were over thousand Kms and have never faced any issue.. Car has good ground clearance. i've driven it in very bad roads with a car full of baggage & people, never hit the undercarriage on the ground..

If you can find a CS3 in good nick, go for it. But if you find a CS1 like this don't turn it down just because it has a 1300CC engine.

@Davy @Jor-el @HashanJay @s.madura @vidura @Dushyantha

Edited by Hyaenidae

3 hours ago, Hyaenidae said:

CS1 does have enough power to go anywhere in Sri Lanka, ask @trinity or @Sampath Gunasekera

If you can find a CS3 in good nick, go for it. But if you find a CS1 like this don't turn it down just because it has a 1300CC engine.

Thank you Hyaenidae. I searched the autolanka forum before posting this. Followed a very old but living thread of buying a Lancer from the beginning to end. I personally like to have more power as I will be working in hilly areas for some time to come. Thats why I prefer CS3 over CS1. 

I have found a good 2001 CS3 for 2.2 million price. As per the rules, we cant post outside advertisements here, or I could post it here. If so I will contact Trinity & Sampath via in forum messaging. Thank you very much for the input. :)

23 minutes ago, Crosswind said:

Add BJ5P Mazda also to the list. You might even be able to find a 2004 Mazda 3 or an Axela for around that range if you look hard enough.

That is the hard part brother. Im living in Nuwara Eliya, I dont have time and space to go check for vehicles very often. Sometimes I find good deals in web, but when I get a chance to check it (waiting for a holiday or weekend), its already gone. :mellow:

So I checked a Lancer, which was stated that it had driven only 160k Kms. But in fact it has clocked about 400-500k Kms. Meter has been tampered several times. Sad thing is I kind of liked the car. Anyhow, back to the hunting mode. 

Little query here, 
Do all CS2 Cedias are equipped with that GDI engine which is not suitable for our country? From 3 lancer versions, Cedia is the most beautiful one for me. Sleek!!!

9 hours ago, Klord said:

Little query here, 
Do all CS2 Cedias are equipped with that GDI engine which is not suitable for our country? From 3 lancer versions, Cedia is the most beautiful one for me. Sleek!!!

Yes, CEDIA is the JDM version that was manufactured for the 100th anniversary of Mitsubishi (CEntury DIAmond). According to my knowledge, all CEDIAs came with the 1.5L 4G15 engine with GDI only. The actual issue is partly the fact that local fuel quality is not that great and damages the GDI fuel pump.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2018 at 8:50 PM, Hyaenidae said:

I haven't driven CS1 car with a manual transmission yet. Hope there is no issue.

But truly speaking CS1 Automatic transmission variant  is little bit under-powered . It does not mean that you cannot drive it easily. But it will not give you fast acceleration like a Toyota Yaris A/T does with 1300cc engine. Once you adjusted with the vehicle you know how to drive it. I get 08km/l fuel economy in city driving. In highway driving I get 14km/l while maintaining speed 80 - 100km/h. (All fuel economy figures measured by full tank to full tank method and I use full time A/C).

Whatever you buy try to buy a good reliable unit with a service history.

On 4/20/2018 at 8:50 PM, Hyaenidae said:

Ah old boy. You are here too? 

On 4/21/2018 at 12:53 AM, Klord said:

That is the hard part brother. Im living in Nuwara Eliya, I dont have time and space to go check for vehicles very often. Sometimes I find good deals in web, but when I get a chance to check it (waiting for a holiday or weekend), its already gone. :mellow:

My humble opinion is you to buy a comfortable, reliable and fuel efficient vehicle from Toyota or Nissan brand as you work in a very "Maka bass" infested area. 

On 4/24/2018 at 11:19 AM, BuBi said:

My humble opinion is you to buy a comfortable, reliable and fuel efficient vehicle from Toyota or Nissan brand as you work in a very "Maka bass" infested area. 

Both Nissan and Toyota cars in Lancer CS+ generation are way overpriced. I kind of dislike Toyota and Nissan looks as well. Too generic. Your point is valid though. I will not be staying here forever, max 18 more months. :D 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Klord said:

Both Nissan and Toyota cars in Lancer CS+ generation are way overpriced. I kind of dislike Toyota and Nissan looks as well. Too generic. Your point is valid though. I will not be staying here forever, max 18 more months. :D 

Still then avoid Hondas as they are mostly suitable around Colombo and it's suburbs. 

• Confused 1

21 minutes ago, BuBi said:

Still then avoid Hondas as they are mostly suitable around Colombo and it's suburbs. 

Can you please elaborate why is that? Civic is my 2nd target in the hunt. If no good CS3 came up on time that is. 

Edited by Klord

6 minutes ago, Klord said:

Can you please elaborate why is that? Civic is my 2nd target in the hunt. If no good CS3 came up on time that is. 

Well there trannies are susceptible to failure if not well maintained by able mechanics. Good mechanics are hard to come by all around the country. 

What type of civic are you looking for? ES series? They also have a tranny problem because the earlier models were wrecked by our own people when they used general purpose gear oils in Honda trannies.  Take a good look at the Trannies.