• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Oil level drops

ThushanthaSrimal

Question

My car is vios 2007

Recently I have noticed that engine oil level drops with a long range drive

My mileage is now 102000 km and Im using 15w40 toyota oil.

No white smoke is coming out in noticeable mannar.

Will changing the oil to a thicker one solve the issue or will a boring needed? ????

What is the next thicker level of oil? 10w60? 

15 answers to this question

It's either leaking, or burning -or both.

An elevan year old car with un confirmed milage,.. well that says it all, I'd go to say 'if it ain't broken,don't fix it.'

Just keep a check of your oil level and drive like normal.

Edited by Twin Turbo
  • Thanks 1

You can use a thicker oil but , not recomended for you, and don't get caught on to cunning grease molnkeys who will advise you

to overhaul the engine. - the idea being getting the most of what you have for the longest.

Cheers, !

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ThushanthaSrimal said:

Thankz guys...

I ran about 2500km and there was a oil drop around 800ml - 1l. No oil leaks

Yes there is slug in the cam area. What is the connection between slug and oil burn...

You may have sludge formation on the piston rings (particularly oil control rings) as well. Also it is possible that the engine is worn out (in spite of what your Odo meter says). You can get an idea by doing a compression test but that would not indicate a problem in oil control rings.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Rumesh88 said:

You may have sludge formation on the piston rings (particularly oil control rings) as well. Also it is possible that the engine is worn out (in spite of what your Odo meter says). You can get an idea by doing a compression test but that would not indicate a problem in oil control rings.

If so the only option is to bore the engine and place new pistons right?

If I just keep checking the oil level and run this for about 20000km will that be a big issue?

What if I use a ticker oil? 

On 20/04/2018 at 4:06 AM, Twin Turbo said:

It's either leaking, or burning -or both.

An elevan year old car with un confirmed milage,.. well that says it all, I'd go to say 'if it ain't broken,don't fix it.'

Just keep a check of your oil level and drive like normal.

Ya I got ur point? If I run this for about 20000km more will the things get things worse? 

On 19/04/2018 at 11:47 PM, Clark'sson said:

How much oil do you burn between survices. May be you are getting this due to the sludge issues of the vios

And are you sure about the millage do you have records

No I dont hv records. I recently bought this and the mechanic to whom I went for check the car before buy also said about the slug and also showed it to me. He said that its a normal thing in vios engines and not a big thing to worry about. 

If I do a engine flush cant I get rid of the sluge? That machanic said it will not.

On 4/22/2018 at 10:22 AM, ThushanthaSrimal said:

Guys if I do a engine flush will that help to get rid of the slug? Is it a good thing to for this engine?

No. An engine flush would not solve the problem if the sludge is on oil control rings. Most sensible thing to do is to run as it is using the same oil (SAE40) and do the oil change in shorter intervals unless of course you decide to go for a complete engine cleanup/overhaul.

• Thanks 1

On 23/04/2018 at 8:38 PM, Rumesh88 said:

No. An engine flush would not solve the problem if the sludge is on oil control rings. Most sensible thing to do is to run as it is using the same oil (SAE40) and do the oil change in shorter intervals unless of course you decide to go for a complete engine cleanup/overhaul.

Thankz..

This is not directly related your question, but its somewhat related to oil burning.

https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om-s/OM52798U/pdf/OM52798U.pdf

Above link shows 2009 yaris hatchback owners manual, and its said ( Page 248 ) "" ●Oil consumption: Max. 1.1 qt./600 miles, 0.9 lmp.qt./600 miles (1.0 L per 1000 km) " i.e 1.0 L per 1000 km is accepted by manufacturer.  Can someone explain above amount of oil consumption is ok or not.  

Capture.JPG

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, highbeam said:

This is not directly related your question, but its somewhat related to oil burning.

https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om-s/OM52798U/pdf/OM52798U.pdf

Above link shows 2009 yaris hatchback owners manual, and its said ( Page 248 ) "" ●Oil consumption: Max. 1.1 qt./600 miles, 0.9 lmp.qt./600 miles (1.0 L per 1000 km) " i.e 1.0 L per 1000 km is accepted by manufacturer.  Can someone explain above amount of oil consumption is ok or not.  

Capture.JPG

My oil consumtion is round that mark which is mentioned....

Is it a normal thing then?