Jump to content
  • Welcome to AutoLanka

    :action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Recommended Posts

I have recently bought a C160 from the agents. I need to get a reverse camera as reversing is rather difficult without one. How can I get this done without effecting the company warrantee ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Congrats on your new car.

2.Any work done to the wiring/electrical system will void the warranty.  So no cutting/splicing or altering of the wiring.

3.Seek the vdealer's assistance for your need.

Edited by Twin Turbo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wait so this means that it doesn't have factory fitted reversing camera. What a shame for paying such an awful lot of money for a basic car. Does the rival 3 series or A4 have that feature. It is a must I must say for a car like the C-class which has got a very small rear windscreen. 

Also heard that the C 160 has a manual transmission, how about the Engine; is it a down tuned version of the C180 or is it from a A-class?

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, top tip said:

 What a shame for paying such an awful lot of money for a basic car.

 

The awful lot of money is paid for the Mercedes Logo,everything else is an customizing option. :D

Anyway Reverse Cameras are not popular in Europe like in Asian vehicles.

You may not even find them in an S-class,7-series  or A8, because

1.Drivers have very good driving license training and can reverse while turning their head backwards or only with rear-view mirror

2.the function is better covered with having more Ultrasonic sensors around the body. It is more effective at detecting small objects near to the Ground, compared to having to look painstakingly in to the view of Reverse camera while manoeuvring the vehicle.

Manual is also preferred choice compared to AT, because european drivers and roads are also looking for Agility,Response and Driving-Fun.

Is this your first Euro vehicle?

 

 

Edited by ajm
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/18/2018 at 11:20 AM, Gihan S said:

I have recently bought a C160 from the agents. I need to get a reverse camera as reversing is rather difficult without one. How can I get this done without effecting the company warrantee ?

Doesn't it come with parking sensors? All C160s I've seen have them fitted. Learn to use them, far easier than a Camera.

If you MUST have a camera I'm afraid you're going to have to go the agent route and pay whatever they ask. Third parties will claim they can install one but they will invariably have to mess with the wiring to do it and doing that WILL void your warranty, not really a good thing. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ajm said:

The awful lot of money is paid for the Mercedes Logo,everything else is an customizing option. :D

Anyway Reverse Cameras are not popular in Europe like in Asian vehicles.

You may not even find them in an S-class,7-series  or A8, because

1.Drivers have very good driving license training and can reverse while turning their head backwards or only with rear-view mirror

2.the function is better covered with having more Ultrasonic sensors around the body. It is more effective at detecting small objects near to the Ground, compared to having to look painstakingly in to the view of Reverse camera while manoeuvring the vehicle.

Manual is also preferred choice compared to AT, because european drivers and roads are also looking for Agility,Response and Driving-Fun.

Is this your first Euro vehicle?

 

 

Euro cars do come with reverse camera, for instance my friend has the Mercedes Benz w212 E300 Bluetec hybrid model which were built for the UK market and imported to sri lanka has one, in fact it has 360° camera. Then I've seen similar feature on the new X5 Not sure whether it is factory fitted though, then again the older S-Class w221 itself had reverse camera and mind you this car started production in 2005. 

So they do get reverse camera. On my opinion it is a useful feature that car manufacturers should include in a car which is about 10mln. Specially if the rear visibility is low due to small windscreen. But one should not be overly reliant on these tech.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

lol,no one said they do not, and EU car makers are not technologically deprived compared to JAP so they cant even fit a Reverse cam. But its not standard equipment unless the buyer specifically orders it if he has insecurities about reversing with parksensors/without a camera. For European drivers(including me), the sonar-image provided by parksensors(they cover also the front and sides,in comparison to a "reverse" camera) is more than enough.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, top tip said:

Wait so this means that it doesn't have factory fitted reversing camera. What a shame for paying such an awful lot of money for a basic car. Does the rival 3 series or A4 have that feature. It is a must I must say for a car like the C-class which has got a very small rear windscreen. 

Also heard that the C 160 has a manual transmission, how about the Engine; is it a down tuned version of the C180 or is it from a A-class?

Well then why do people pay close to 8million for a premio  which has a double din hole in the dash board.

And in the uk people prefer to drive manuals. Because they enjoy driving and are better drivers. I also always prefer the manual over the auto its gives you total contol. And its more responsive than the usual autos and cvts. And for sri lankans its much cheap to maintain and fuel efficiency is also increased by a significant margin (which i dont bother about). 

If you are not a typical sri lankan who buy the car and think about selling it from the following day. If you are a person who enjoys driving you should use a manual. So theres nothing to cry about a car being available with manual transmision its a plus point. In uk auto reviews sometimes they get disappointed when vehicles come only in auto. Anyway auto or manual transmission can be selected so for the left limb amputees you can order an auto too

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/04/2018 at 1:55 PM, ajm said:

The awful lot of money is paid for the Mercedes Logo,everything else is an customizing option. :D

Anyway Reverse Cameras are not popular in Europe like in Asian vehicles.

You may not even find them in an S-class,7-series  or A8, because

1.Drivers have very good driving license training and can reverse while turning their head backwards or only with rear-view mirror

2.the function is better covered with having more Ultrasonic sensors around the body. It is more effective at detecting small objects near to the Ground, compared to having to look painstakingly in to the view of Reverse camera while manoeuvring the vehicle.

Manual is also preferred choice compared to AT, because european drivers and roads are also looking for Agility,Response and Driving-Fun.

Is this your first Euro vehicle?

 

 

 

Edited by top tip

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/04/2018 at 8:11 PM, Clark'sson said:

Well then why do people pay close to 8million for a premio  which has a double din hole in the dash board.

And in the uk people prefer to drive manuals. Because they enjoy driving and are better drivers. I also always prefer the manual over the auto its gives you total contol. And its more responsive than the usual autos and cvts. And for sri lankans its much cheap to maintain and fuel efficiency is also increased by a significant margin (which i dont bother about). 

If you are not a typical sri lankan who buy the car and think about selling it from the following day. If you are a person who enjoys driving you should use a manual. So theres nothing to cry about a car being available with manual transmision its a plus point. In uk auto reviews sometimes they get disappointed when vehicles come only in auto. Anyway auto or manual transmission can be selected so for the left limb amputees you can order an auto too

Dear members please hold on before making this post an all out dispute. I owe a 1993 Mercedes Benz w124 which has got a 2.5L straight 5 engine mated to a 5 speed manual transmission which is rear wheel drive and has got hydraulic power steering, a 5-link rear suspension and strut type Front suspension with anti roll bar. So I know first hand what driving pleasure is as I've been owning it for the past ten years. It's just an over engineered car when compared to Japanese econobox that has some immature lighting on it.

But sadly gone are the days where car manufacturers built cars that are really a pleasure to own. That goes to Mercedes benz as well. They were first in the industry to make many features a standard across the line. Of course having a reverse camera only spoils a good driver but they should have had it standard or some other kind of assistance like distronic or parktronic because what I feel is ironically the owner had to pay a high price tag for basic features.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the new trend in premium segment give the basic car and get the poor sucker to pay for all the current necessities which are standard in other not so premium.

If you want cheep premium learn to reverse, navigate your self, use speaker in your phone, turn a key to start your car.

On the plus side most of the safety features are standard unlike the Japs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, kush said:

On the plus side most of the safety features are standard unlike the Japs

not only features,the body design,suspension are completely different to a jap or Indian. Even without features like Abs,VSC,Airbags the Euros are less likely to skid or rollover,safer to drive than a tin can filled with electronic features.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/19/2018 at 9:41 PM, Clark'sson said:

Well then why do people pay close to 8million for a premio  which has a double din hole in the dash board.

And in the uk people prefer to drive manuals. Because they enjoy driving and are better drivers. I also always prefer the manual over the auto its gives you total contol. And its more responsive than the usual autos and cvts. And for sri lankans its much cheap to maintain and fuel efficiency is also increased by a significant margin (which i dont bother about). 

If you are not a typical sri lankan who buy the car and think about selling it from the following day. If you are a person who enjoys driving you should use a manual. So theres nothing to cry about a car being available with manual transmision its a plus point. In uk auto reviews sometimes they get disappointed when vehicles come only in auto. Anyway auto or manual transmission can be selected so for the left limb amputees you can order an auto too

Highly highly highly subjective !

It is physically impossible to manually change gears as fast as most of the new auto transmission systems. Even the CVT has come quite a long way in responsiveness.

In Sri Lanka, and quite a few parts of the world, maintaining a manual transmission costs as much as maintaining an automatic transmission...just like maintaining a Japanese car with genuine parts will be as expensive as maintaining a Euro car.

Yes..Japanese car manufacturers are going the Automatic route for ALMOST all of their Japanese market models because of demographic changes. The population is getting older....the younger population are not in to cars (hell they go get married to silicone dolls and robots for crying out loud) and for the last decade or so the number of drivers getting licensed for MT vehicles has been rapidly declining. Even the Japanese cars for other markets still offer MT options.

Also, it is sad that we are at a point of comparing premium Euro vehicles with Japanese econo boxes. Just because you play 60,000 - 80,000USD for your Premio/Allion/Axio it does not make it a Premium car. Cars like the Atenza, Mark X, Crown, Teana, Fuga are in a different category completely when it comes to how they are put together...so when someone talks about Japanese cars it is unfair we just think about the entry level econo boxes running around in SL. Even if you compare an Axio with a A3 sedan because of the size it still falls under two different market segments. So it is like comparing an Alto 800 with a NBox.

Finally...this is starting to sound like a bunch of 10 yr old vegan kids talking about the wonders of Kobe beef vs farm-shed beef from Mexico.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register for a new account in our community. It's easy and FREE!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×