Jump to content
  • Welcome to AutoLanka

    :action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Corolla141

Question on Corolla 141 Maintenance information. Service done by Toyota Lanka

Recommended Posts

I recently bought a corolla 141, which has a mileage about 60000. Then once the service time is up I decided to go to toyota lanka since previous owner has been maintaining the vehicle from the same place since day one. So once the service is done by TL they gave me some remarks of the vehicle indicating that the things should be changed/ replaced / fixed. I’m a very much newbie to this so please bear with me if these are some stupid questions. I would like to post the comments they gave me after the vehicle inspection below. please see the image which has the comments. All I need to know is in what urgency should I fix these. Around how much would I need to be spent. How serious are these fixes. 

Thanks. 

48916E0C-977D-4AD1-866C-70E9FEBFD2D6.jpeg

Edited by Corolla141

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay..first and foremost....if you had got the car properly inspected then all of the above should have been visible and would have been identified as what needs to be done. So ALWAYS get the car checked by the agents or a third party, especially if you are not mechanically inclined. 

1. Valve cover gasket and timing chain tensioner O ring...: You would have seen oil stains around the engine "body" on top...I suppose it is seeping right now with age...you would probably want to get that looked in to before the oil starts leaking quite badly and it becomes a big mess. 

2. Radiator support panel : How on earth did it get damaged ? The support panel does not get corroded that easily unless there is a leak in the radiator constantly dripping water on to it and/or the paint is damaged and exposing bare metal to get corroded.

3. Stabilizer link....again..surprised that it is DAMAGED !!! I can understand the rubber bushings wearing out or showing signs of fatigue considering the age of the car...but how on earth did it get damaged ???

Considering 2 and 3 are you sure it has not had any frontal accidents ?

4. Wiper blades need to be replaced...well...that means when it rains the windscreen would not properly get wiped thus driving in the rain would be a bit of an issue in the rain :D

I have to ask....are you sure this car has only 60,000km ? Did you see actual maintenance records from TL?  I have seen plenty of cars that have done far more than that and still does not show things like issues with the items 1 and especially 2 and 3.  If it actually has done only 60,000km then all I can say is that seems to be a car that has had a very hard life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, iRage said:

Okay..first and foremost....if you had got the car properly inspected then all of the above should have been visible and would have been identified as what needs to be done. So ALWAYS get the car checked by the agents or a third party, especially if you are not mechanically inclined. 

1. Valve cover gasket and timing chain tensioner O ring...: You would have seen oil stains around the engine "body" on top...I suppose it is seeping right now with age...you would probably want to get that looked in to before the oil starts leaking quite badly and it becomes a big mess. 

2. Radiator support panel : How on earth did it get damaged ? The support panel does not get corroded that easily unless there is a leak in the radiator constantly dripping water on to it and/or the paint is damaged and exposing bare metal to get corroded.

3. Stabilizer link....again..surprised that it is DAMAGED !!! I can understand the rubber bushings wearing out or showing signs of fatigue considering the age of the car...but how on earth did it get damaged ???

Considering 2 and 3 are you sure it has not had any frontal accidents ?

4. Wiper blades need to be replaced...well...that means when it rains the windscreen would not properly get wiped thus driving in the rain would be a bit of an issue in the rain :D

I have to ask....are you sure this car has only 60,000km ? Did you see actual maintenance records from TL?  I have seen plenty of cars that have done far more than that and still does not show things like issues with the items 1 and especially 2 and 3.  If it actually has done only 60,000km then all I can say is that seems to be a car that has had a very hard life.

Hi iRange,

Thanks alot for the information buddy. Yes I’m pretty sure about the mileage, because i have seen all service records from TL and even in this time service TL confirmed the previous owner and service records which has done previously. Guy was a old professor seemed a genuine guy. Car was selled at 35.90 when the milage was around 52000. Last year October. After I bought it I may have used it hard. How serious are these issue. What issue should I fixed in the first priority . Should I go with TL on fixing these ? How much would be the cost for these. I know too many questions ?. Sorry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Okay..first and foremost....if you had got the car properly inspected then all of the above should have been visible and would have been identified as what needs to be done. So ALWAYS get the car checked by the agents or a third party, especially if you are not mechanically inclined. 
1. Valve cover gasket and timing chain tensioner O ring...: You would have seen oil stains around the engine "body" on top...I suppose it is seeping right now with age...you would probably want to get that looked in to before the oil starts leaking quite badly and it becomes a big mess. 
2. Radiator support panel : How on earth did it get damaged ? The support panel does not get corroded that easily unless there is a leak in the radiator constantly dripping water on to it and/or the paint is damaged and exposing bare metal to get corroded.
3. Stabilizer link....again..surprised that it is DAMAGED !!! I can understand the rubber bushings wearing out or showing signs of fatigue considering the age of the car...but how on earth did it get damaged ???
Considering 2 and 3 are you sure it has not had any frontal accidents ?
4. Wiper blades need to be replaced...well...that means when it rains the windscreen would not properly get wiped thus driving in the rain would be a bit of an issue in the rain
I have to ask....are you sure this car has only 60,000km ? Did you see actual maintenance records from TL?  I have seen plenty of cars that have done far more than that and still does not show things like issues with the items 1 and especially 2 and 3.  If it actually has done only 60,000km then all I can say is that seems to be a car that has had a very hard life.
My thoughts exactly

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using AutoLanka.com mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, iRage said:

 

3. Stabilizer link....again..surprised that it is DAMAGED !!! I can understand the rubber bushings wearing out or showing signs of fatigue considering the age of the car...but how on earth did it get damaged ???

It says "boot damaged" (right?) so it is a rubber part. What I don't understand is how a stabiliser link can have a boot. They're usually fastened using bushes. Probably usage of wrong terminology. 

@Corolla141, get the valve cover and timing chain tensioner repaired first as it's the most critical one. The rest are pretty minor repairs and any garage can do it for you.

As for the corrosion on the radiator support, if it's not too bad, you can get it repaired instead of replacing the radiator support. 

Wiper blades are a DIY job. Available at any spare parts shop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Davy said:

It says "boot damaged" (right?) so it is a rubber part. What I don't understand is how a stabiliser link can have a boot. They're usually fastened using bushes. Probably usage of wrong terminology. 

@Corolla141, get the valve cover and timing chain tensioner repaired first as it's the most critical one. The rest are pretty minor repairs and any garage can do it for you.

As for the corrosion on the radiator support, if it's not too bad, you can get it repaired instead of replacing the radiator support. 

Wiper blades are a DIY job. Available at any spare parts shop.

Does it say boot ? I thought it said bent damaged :) which made me go on to think it said the radiator support was actually damaged damaged and not just corrosion.

The other question I have is if TL maintained this car when were these issues brought to the attention of the previous owner ? Especially the gasket and o-ring issue.

Edited by iRage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, iRage said:

The other question I have is if TL maintained this car when were these issues brought to the attention of the previous owner ? Especially the gasket and o-ring issue.

May be they said and that's when he decided to sell after doing a regular service :) . I must say i used this car very roughly ever since i bought. drove in roads with pretty bad conditions. No accident happened , after i bought i did not do the 1st service from TL. But I did the next service from TL today as I thought it's good to carry on with the TL service records which is already have also it will be useful to get a good resale value. So today TL gave me these things needs to done after the service. I don't know whether it's true or not I have heard from my friends TL is famous for giving a huge bills on their customers. Any idea on costs in approximately to fix issue 1, 2 and 3 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, iRage said:

Does it say boot ? I thought it said bent damaged :) which made me go on to think it said the radiator support was actually damaged damaged and not just corrosion.

With all the grammatical errors, I don't know what's right or wrong in that. :D I'm guessing whoever wrote this up just used the word "damaged" "dammaged" for everything. Wipers - damaged, stabiliser link - damaged, radiator support - damaged. If power steering oil needed to be replaced, it would have been "Power steering oil - damaged". :rolleyes:

@Corolla141, Get TL to give you a quotation for each item. For item #1, I suggest sticking with TL if possible. Are you  able to post a photo of the said corrosion on the radiator support?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well in that case....

perhaps what is actually being said is :

1. valve cover gasket and timing belt tensioner o-ring leaking oil : First of the things you need to fix

2. Stabilizer bushes <oh wait....I guess if you squint your eyes really hard that word could be bush> need to be replaced : If that is the case how bad is it ? It is natural for the bush to show wear and tear....typically (in most models) Toyota does not sell just the bush for the stabilizer link, however there are decent OEM bushes that you can buy. 

3. Radiator support is damaged with corrosion ? Again....how old is your car ? why did it corrode ? Is it actually corroded or does it just have a rust patch somewhere (in which case you should get it fixed before it corrodes through) ?4. Wiper blades :  hope you can find a good pair.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Corolla141 said:

May be they said and that's when he decided to sell after doing a regular service :) . I must say i used this car very roughly ever since i bought. drove in roads with pretty bad conditions. No accident happened , after i bought i did not do the 1st service from TL. But I did the next service from TL today as I thought it's good to carry on with the TL service records which is already have also it will be useful to get a good resale value. So today TL gave me these things needs to done after the service. I don't know whether it's true or not I have heard from my friends TL is famous for giving a huge bills on their customers. Any idea on costs in approximately to fix issue 1, 2 and 3 

If you use the car roughly perhaps you might have hit the bottom and chipped off protective coatings etc and things started to rust off. If the recommended repairs were given to the previous owner howcome it was not there in the records ? Perhaps he hid it ? Again...if that was the case...then you should have gotten it checked out BEFORE the purchase and used that to reason out the price a bit.

If you go to ANY agent...the agent has to follow their principal manufacturer's/s' service procedures. These service procedures do not include short cut or alternative methods "external garages" would take to repairing things in order to maintain the manufacturer's quality standards.. For example, in most cars if the stabilizer link bushes or the control arm bush gets worn out...you have to replace the entire unit. However, in SL we punch in the bushes  in...and there are OEM bushes we can buy in the market. Also, most of the time the manufacturer's repair procedures would state to look in to other areas that the fault might effect and recommend to inspect and replace...so although you go in for one thing they might end up doing 3 things on your car.

Then where service labor is concerned most agents might take a task-time based billing mechanism as opposed to an actual time based billing mechanism. So they might say replacing one shock takes 3 hours and bill you for 3 hours even though the mechanic actually did it in 1.5hrs...

So things can get pricey at any agent. To make it worst almost all agents in SL put a premium price on their parts and services (but then the influx of cheap parts and dubious labor we Lankans run behind is also to blame for that).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As for the first item (oil leak from valve cover gasket and timing chain O-ring) I suggest you to get the PCV valve checked/cleaned/replaced (as the case warrants) at the same time. If PCV is clogged up or faulty it can cause positive pressure inside the  crankcase and will aggravate possible oil leaks.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All these seems bit premature considering the mileage and age, we have 141 from the 1st batch with 65K with no repairs.

Toyota Lanka is absurdly expensive when it comes for repairs and parts are equally expensive.

I was quoted Rs. 42K few years back to replace brake pads and the ac belt.

Brought the originals from G* M****s and replaced at home for Rs. 24K

There are good garages  which could handle your car as it is very straight forward mechanically.

As long as you keep proper records and use genuine parts brought from reputed place I believe there will not be any issue at time of resale.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Guys,

 

Where can I buy spare parts for Corolla 141 apart from TXYXtX Lanka?   can you message me on [email protected] or 0710991322.

 

Thank you 

Dominic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

G* M****s Rajagiriya

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Toyota Lanka is a very expensive place to start with. I only go there to buy the genuine parts. Been there twice for;

1. To check my suspension systems. Cost 5k. Repair estimation given apprx. 250k. I repaired it from outside for parts + labour apprx. 120k. (Front shocks, front brake disc, brake pads, powersteering rack repaired & all 4 engine mounts)

2. Had a vibration when accelerating, engine misfire,  check engine light & AC not cooling . Cost 3k. Repair estimation apprx. 300k. Trust me they ddnt find the fault right. All that they wanted to knw was do i had the money to do the job. I took it to a repair center i knew. Changed the spark plugs - engine misfire done. Cost 10k. Changed the CV joints - vibration done. Parts + Labour 30k. Cooler changed - AC done. Cost 35k. Thats a total of 75k.

Hope this might help! Since there were almost perfect replies given on ur issue by others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stabilizer Link: I think he suggested to replace the links since he might have noticed torn or damaged dust boots of the links.

691147d1356820615-possible-to-replace-bo

pic05.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I remember, I had to replace the valve cover gasket on my 121 at 130,000km during the tune up. There are some signs that you can test whether the mileage is true. But they are not 100% accurate

1.Break pedal-usually car with around 60,000km might have an almost new looking break pedal.But this can be varied. If the driver had used shoes during driving all the time the pedals might wear out faster.Check the right side corner of the pedal.

2.Steering wheel-If the driver hadn’t use a cover, check the top of the steering wheel. (Which means 12 o’ clock of the wheel).Check whether it moves easily when you try to grind it by your hand.

3.Doors-If the doors open in two steps(specially the driver side door) it is a sign that the car is still new

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register for a new account in our community. It's easy and FREE!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×