• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Pajero Computer body

pmanu

Hi all, 
My first question on AL, so if theres anything wrong in the manner this was raised just let me know.
I'm planning to buy my first vehicle.After some search and following up on relevant AL threads here I am.
my budget is 3 - 3.5 ml and Im looking for a 7 seater. 
preferebly a 4x4.(I've been driving a navara 2008 which belongs to my father and love it)  though not a hardcore offroad driver
After a bit of a search my options were pajero palathsaba(1989) and computer body(61-xxxx) models. Eventhough palathsaba has its reputation and  being my choice, due to some feminine impacts now I'm considering about computer body. 
I'll be  travelling from  colombo to matara and return every weekend, and upcountry once a month with at least 5 seats occupied.
Need some advice from anyone who has experience/knowledge in there.
What I should check when buying one,
Is it reliable,fuel figures(ain't expecting much, just to understand what Im getting in to)
spare parts availability, 
Planning to keep it for at least for 3 years.
Anything I should know before spending hard earned money..   
Please let me know if I missed any other option in that price range as well. (No sir, I cannot stretch bit more. 3.5 ml is stretched)

Edited by pmanu

16 minutes ago, Magnum said:

What exactly is computer body Pajero? Is it MK2 Pajero

No sorry. its pajero 1992 model. Computer body is a term used by traders.  Which came before intercooler

Edited by pmanu
missed the quote

15 hours ago, Magnum said:

Could you post a pic of one?

Wasn't sure about the policy regarding posting pics from 3rd party in here. You'll find a white pajero of model in the question in this thread. Its the one used by police.  Having 61-xxxx plates

On 4/18/2018 at 12:43 AM, Magnum said:

What exactly is computer body Pajero? Is it MK2 Pajero?

This is epic, if you ask the manufacturer about computer body i am sure they replies "We never made a one call computer body" or "Palath saba" 

I am sure pmanu referring to V3x series (possibly V31)

f**k s*ake, if you look at from the side of 1992 Pajero you will see the a look of the monitor as the high roof start from 2nd raw seats onwards so for SL grease monkeys computer is = monitor so they start calling this computer body. :action-smiley-060:

Check the below link for the correct computer + body

https://ibb.co/k4aJrn

Edited by john cooper
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, john cooper said:

This is epic, if you ask the manufacturer about computer body i am sure they replies "We never made a one call computer body" or "Palath saba" 

f**k s*ake, if you look at from the side of 1992 Pajero you will see the a look of the monitor as the high roof start from 2nd raw seats onwards so for SL grease monkeys computer is = monitor so they start calling this computer body. :action-smiley-060:

I THought it was referred to "Commuter Model". and our Jhonnies referred it as "Computer" :P

• Like 1

7 hours ago, john cooper said:

LMAO! I see it now :D

• Like 1

13 hours ago, john cooper said:

At least the japanese knew the difference between the computer and the monitor and called it moniter>monitero>montero

:D

Edited by Clark'sson
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Clark'sson said:

At least the japanese knew the difference between the computer and the monitor and called it moniter>monitero>montero

:D

Actually Montero was the export model name. Its still Pajero in Japan and Shogun in UK

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Ruslan said:

I THought it was referred to "Commuter Model". and our Jhonnies referred it as "Computer" :P

I got to know this from a well known car dealership owner back in SL who happened to be the person to call with that name at 1st because it was looks like his Son's new computer.

regards

JC 

• Haha 1

On 4/19/2018 at 10:48 AM, Ruslan said:

All this time, I also thought the same thing.... But I did wonder because you never saw "Commuter model" in the brochure or anything, just High roof and mid roof. 

Wow, you learn something new everyday!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, pmanu said:

Some feedback on the latter part of the question  is much appreciated.:rolleyes:.

Let's get into the question,

If you looking at a original Pajero imported around 1992,most of them imported as B/N to SL and fitted with 4D56 or 4D56T engine (may be with 40M40 - 2.8)

They both pretty bullet proof and 4D56 is one of the variance Mitsubishi produce for a long period of time.

Parts are plenty and easy to find

With my experience with 4D56T fuel about 9Km/l (Delica P25 4WD) and 4M40 is about 7km/l (L400 4WD)

4D56T running with timing belt (2 belts) and 4M40 with timing chain (you need to change them tho)

1st GEN pajero, i am sure fitted with 4D56 or 56T but later body fitted with engines transplanted with Intercool model but i haven't heard any with factory 4M40

Please check the book with RMV before buy as you will see plenty "cut but"

Good luck 

JC

• Thanks 1

In addition to what Mini Cooper mentioned, I have read in a Pajero group that the 4D56 is more realiable than the 4M40. Also, the power difference is minor.

These aren't my first hand experience but instead comments of Pajero owners 

On 4/22/2018 at 11:25 AM, Clark'sson said:

Actually i ment it as a joke. 

It really derives from monte for mountain 

I thought the introduction of the name "Montero" was Mitsubishi's way of showing cultural sensitivity after they realized "Pajero" is not *the* best name one can call the vehicle especially if they want to sell it in spanish speaking countries..

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Insedious said:

I thought the introduction of the name "Montero" was Mitsubishi's way of showing cultural sensitivity after they realized "Pajero" is not *the* best name one can call the vehicle especially if they want to sell it in spanish speaking countries..

So they call it "Mitsubishi shogun"

On 4/24/2018 at 9:11 AM, Magnum said:

In addition to what Mini Cooper mentioned, I have read in a Pajero group that the 4D56 is more realiable than the 4M40. Also, the power difference is minor.

These aren't my first hand experience but instead comments of Pajero owners 

Yes. 4M40 has some bad reputation in the reliability quadrant. However, it has more power and higher end torque than 4D56T. I'm driving a MK1 series2 (known as turbo wagon) with 4D56T and quite satisfied for last 3 years. 

parts are freely available and prices are music to ear (being maintaining Peugeots for decades). There's a famous sticker on some SUVs " you can go faster but I can go anywhere". However, in my experience, it can go faster steadily. Went into Yaala trails and the journey up to the entry point in Monaragala, none of the other vehicles in the squad (including a montero sport and a ASX) could keep up with the Pajero (could be the driver :D) 

in terms of market value, I have seen some turbo wagons selling for higher prices than 61- "computer bodied" jeeps. Typical Sri Lankan market, hard to explain certain logics. I recon, going for a 64- or 65- one as oppose to 61- which has lower resell value plus some cops can mess with you as it's registered as light motor coach. 

4 hours ago, harshansenadhir said:

Yes. 4M40 has some bad reputation in the reliability quadrant. However, it has more power and higher end torque than 4D56T. I'm driving a MK1 series2 (known as turbo wagon) with 4D56T and quite satisfied for last 3 years. 

parts are freely available and prices are music to ear (being maintaining Peugeots for decades). There's a famous sticker on some SUVs " you can go faster but I can go anywhere". However, in my experience, it can go faster steadily. Went into Yaala trails and the journey up to the entry point in Monaragala, none of the other vehicles in the squad (including a montero sport and a ASX) could keep up with the Pajero (could be the driver :D) 

in terms of market value, I have seen some turbo wagons selling for higher prices than 61- "computer bodied" jeeps. Typical Sri Lankan market, hard to explain certain logics. I recon, going for a 64- or 65- one as oppose to 61- which has lower resell value plus some cops can mess with you as it's registered as light motor coach. 

I think that law was repealed with the introduction of new license. Now a person with ordinary DL can drive a vehicle upto a 7 seater irrespective of the registration class. 

• Like 1