• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Faizul Hasan

OBD II diagnostic - unable to connect ECU

Posted (edited)

I bought a cheap OBDII adapter (ELM327 V1.5 interface) from eBay. I can connect to the OBDII adapter using the multiple software. But every software result is same saying unable to connect ECU. Any experts here could help me on this, please?

And one more important thing I have recently noticed is my check engine light never comes up when I put the key ON. I extremly need help on this too, please.

Vehicle Info: Audi A4 B6 2004 1.6Engine

OBDII Connection.png

Edited by Faizul Hasan

I bought a cheap OBDII adapter (ELM327 V1.5 interface) from eBay. I can connect to the OBDII adapter using the multiple software. But every software result is same saying unable to connect ECU. Any experts here could help me on this, please? And one more important thing I have recently noticed is my check engine light never comes up when I put the key ON. I extremly need help on this too, please.

Vehicle Info: Audi A4 B6 2004 1.6Engine

5ad01e1b5d49c_OBDIIConnection.thumb.png.7895385dc93d1d40f986a0090d795dfe.png

Did you use the original device? 

Cheap Chinese cloned chips won't work.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, gNaveendra said:

Did you use the original device? 

I do not have original device. But at vehicle service center they used to scan every time using the laptop connected via OBDII and USB cable. Do you know where shall I buy the original device?

Edited by Faizul Hasan

Posted (edited)

ELM327 only works with a limited number of OBD2 protocols. Never worked on my Lancer CS3 when I tried. Your Audi communicates using the European EOBD protocol and these cheap Bluetooth devices don't support most of them. But it might be that the software you're using that doesn't support EOBD, so better try something like Torque for Android or Scanator for Windows. I see you're using a Mac - might not be the best platform for diagnostics. You can find more information on the forum if you search. 

Garages have professional scan tools although they use a laptop as the terminal to view them. You can find ones on eBay. I have a D900 and I've tested that on Japanese, European and Australian cars and it works pretty well. Will probably cost you around 5000. It's good for reading error codes and diagnostics.

If you want to purchase locally, try AC Paul. I remember they used to have scan tools, but most of them were industrial grade ones with touch screen and built in printer etc. Costs a lot and only makes sense if you do professional diagnostics.  

Edit: Here's a link to a DIY thread on the forum:

Edited by Davy
  • Like 1

Yea these ELM327 ones don't run with some UK variants, 

It worked with my UK Hilux, and the local market mitsubishi suvs, and even the kei cars, and my Jdm leaf, jdm X-trail

the very same unit failed with UK market L200 and a Trojan of my cousins, and a BMW 320d UK import.

On 13/04/2018 at 5:32 PM, Davy said:

ELM327 only works with a limited number of OBD2 protocols. Never worked on my Lancer CS3 when I tried. Your Audi communicates using the European EOBD protocol and these cheap Bluetooth devices don't support most of them. But it might be that the software you're using that doesn't support EOBD, so better try something like Torque for Android or Scanator for Windows. I see you're using a Mac - might not be the best platform for diagnostics. You can find more information on the forum if you search. 

Garages have professional scan tools although they use a laptop as the terminal to view them. You can find ones on eBay. I have a D900 and I've tested that on Japanese, European and Australian cars and it works pretty well. Will probably cost you around 5000. It's good for reading error codes and diagnostics.

If you want to purchase locally, try AC Paul. I remember they used to have scan tools, but most of them were industrial grade ones with touch screen and built in printer etc. Costs a lot and only makes sense if you do professional diagnostics.  

Edit: Here's a link to a DIY thread on the forum:

Thank you very much. Let me try on D900. Actually, 5000 is not a huge cost with compare to every time I go for a full service the service center charge me around 1500 for scanning :D