• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

OBD II diagnostic - unable to connect ECU

Faizul Hasan

I bought a cheap OBDII adapter (ELM327 V1.5 interface) from eBay. I can connect to the OBDII adapter using the multiple software. But every software result is same saying unable to connect ECU. Any experts here could help me on this, please?

And one more important thing I have recently noticed is my check engine light never comes up when I put the key ON. I extremly need help on this too, please.

Vehicle Info: Audi A4 B6 2004 1.6Engine

OBDII Connection.png

Edited by Faizul Hasan

I bought a cheap OBDII adapter (ELM327 V1.5 interface) from eBay. I can connect to the OBDII adapter using the multiple software. But every software result is same saying unable to connect ECU. Any experts here could help me on this, please? And one more important thing I have recently noticed is my check engine light never comes up when I put the key ON. I extremly need help on this too, please.

Vehicle Info: Audi A4 B6 2004 1.6Engine

5ad01e1b5d49c_OBDIIConnection.thumb.png.7895385dc93d1d40f986a0090d795dfe.png

Did you use the original device? 

Cheap Chinese cloned chips won't work.

1 hour ago, gNaveendra said:

Did you use the original device? 

I do not have original device. But at vehicle service center they used to scan every time using the laptop connected via OBDII and USB cable. Do you know where shall I buy the original device?

Edited by Faizul Hasan

ELM327 only works with a limited number of OBD2 protocols. Never worked on my Lancer CS3 when I tried. Your Audi communicates using the European EOBD protocol and these cheap Bluetooth devices don't support most of them. But it might be that the software you're using that doesn't support EOBD, so better try something like Torque for Android or Scanator for Windows. I see you're using a Mac - might not be the best platform for diagnostics. You can find more information on the forum if you search. 

Garages have professional scan tools although they use a laptop as the terminal to view them. You can find ones on eBay. I have a D900 and I've tested that on Japanese, European and Australian cars and it works pretty well. Will probably cost you around 5000. It's good for reading error codes and diagnostics.

If you want to purchase locally, try AC Paul. I remember they used to have scan tools, but most of them were industrial grade ones with touch screen and built in printer etc. Costs a lot and only makes sense if you do professional diagnostics.  

Edit: Here's a link to a DIY thread on the forum:

Edited by Davy
  • Like 1

Yea these ELM327 ones don't run with some UK variants, 

It worked with my UK Hilux, and the local market mitsubishi suvs, and even the kei cars, and my Jdm leaf, jdm X-trail

the very same unit failed with UK market L200 and a Trojan of my cousins, and a BMW 320d UK import.

On 13/04/2018 at 5:32 PM, Davy said:

ELM327 only works with a limited number of OBD2 protocols. Never worked on my Lancer CS3 when I tried. Your Audi communicates using the European EOBD protocol and these cheap Bluetooth devices don't support most of them. But it might be that the software you're using that doesn't support EOBD, so better try something like Torque for Android or Scanator for Windows. I see you're using a Mac - might not be the best platform for diagnostics. You can find more information on the forum if you search. 

Garages have professional scan tools although they use a laptop as the terminal to view them. You can find ones on eBay. I have a D900 and I've tested that on Japanese, European and Australian cars and it works pretty well. Will probably cost you around 5000. It's good for reading error codes and diagnostics.

If you want to purchase locally, try AC Paul. I remember they used to have scan tools, but most of them were industrial grade ones with touch screen and built in printer etc. Costs a lot and only makes sense if you do professional diagnostics.  

Edit: Here's a link to a DIY thread on the forum:

Thank you very much. Let me try on D900. Actually, 5000 is not a huge cost with compare to every time I go for a full service the service center charge me around 1500 for scanning :D

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone,

I have two ODB devices. One is ELM327 Wifi OBD2 and the other one is OBDLink LX Bluetooth.

My problem is that none of the OBDs connect to Toyota cars.

More specifically:

I have tested the two OBD devices on 4 cars:
Mazda, Honda, Toyota(Auris), Toyota(Yaris)

- On Honda and Mazda: The devices are connected and the measurements appear on the dashboard as they should be
- On the two Toyota cars: The OBD devices are connected but the measurements do not appear on the dashboard. Both cars were made on years near 2010 (don't remember exactly).

It seems like Toyota cars have some sort of setting that restricts the connection between OBD and ECU?

Do you have any idea what might be causing the problem and how I could fix this?

• 5 weeks later...

I have a konnwei can obd2/eobd scanner that won't connect to my Nissan tiida 06, it works fine on my 06 ford falcon it just won't connect to the Nissan ecu. It try's to connect then says connection error it wont even detect that the car is running(I have abs light on while driving if I turn car off then on again light goes off, drive about 400 meters and it comes on again) I'm thinking obd2 scanner is not compatible. Any ideas?

20200423_072610.jpg

Edited by Brian.foxton
Added Photo.

1 hour ago, Brian.foxton said:

I have a konnwei can obd2/eobd scanner that won't connect to my Nissan tiida 06, it works fine on my 06 ford falcon it just won't connect to the Nissan ecu. It try's to connect then says connection error it wont even detect that the car is running(I have abs light on while driving if I turn car off then on again light goes off, drive about 400 meters and it comes on again) I'm thinking obd2 scanner is not compatible. Any ideas?

20200423_072610.jpg

Unfortunately OBD-II is not a single standard. Each manufacturer has their own version of OBD-II which might not be compatible with other versions. These are known as signalling protocols. Some scanners support more than one signalling protocol. Some scanners don't. You need to find out the signalling protocol of your car and check if your scanner has the option of choosing that particular signalling protocol.

The complexity of this problem doesn't stop there. If your TIIDA is made for the Japanese domestic market, it wont come with OBD-II at all. It might be JOBD which is not compatible with most low end scanners. If its a TIIDA made for the European market, it might be running EOBD. If its made for the Asian (including Australian) markets, it should be running OBD-II. You also mentioned about a Falcon. I assume you are in Australia. Australia has a seperate set of regulations (including OBD standards) under Australian Design Rules. If both cars are made for the Australian market, then I would expect them to follow the same OBD signalling protocol. But things might have been different in 2006.

What you can do is:

Do some googling to find out the OBD version and the signalling protocol of your car. You need to specify the market as well not just the model (Nissan Tiida Asia, Nissan Tiida JDM etc.). If you can't do this you can also go to the next step and try some trial and error to see if it works

See if you can configure your ODB gadget to read the signals of that specific protocol

On the other hand, if your car is an direct import from Japan, it won't work. Period.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Brian.foxton said:

This is a common scanner re-branded by various manufacturers. 

According to the website of this particular one, the this scanner supports the following protocols:
ISO 9141, KWP2000, SAE J1850, CAN (see list below), J1850 VPW, J1850 PWM

It also lists the following CAN protocols:

ISO15765-4 CAN(11bit ID,500 Kbaud)
ISO15765-4 CAN(29bit ID,500 Kbaud)
ISO15765-4 CAN(11bit ID,250 Kbaud)
ISO15765-4 CAN(29bit ID,250 Kbaud)

I believe all 2005+ export market Nissans use CAN. So it should work with your scanner. But as @Crosswind said, the protocols vary based on which market the car is made for. You can make a guess as to which protocol it uses by checking the pins in your OBD port. 

You can also try a firmware update of the scanner. The website (link above) has a "System Upgrade" menu which when clicked, takes you here. KW680 is among the compatible devices, and the version has been released just last month. Download and follow instructions in your user manual to install.

Edited by Davy
Added quote
  • Like 1