• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Disposing used engine oil

varotone

Greetings gentleman,

How do you dispose off the used engine oil after an oil change?

When I do oil changes at home, I collect the burnt engine oil. I use them for lubricating odd stuff like the garage door or as a substitute for kerosene when burning garden waste. Now there's a lot of oil that I can't get rid by lubricating stuff and burning leaves. How do I get rid of it?

My local mechanic says he gives away his oil when someone comes asking for oil for bicycle chain and stuff. But he refused to accept my oil.

(I used to throw away the filter with garbage. Please suggest an environmentally friendly method to dispose the filters and oil)

1 hour ago, varotone said:

Greetings gentleman,

How do you dispose off the used engine oil after an oil change?

When I do oil changes at home, I collect the burnt engine oil. I use them for lubricating odd stuff like the garage door or as a substitute for kerosene when burning garden waste. Now there's a lot of oil that I can't get rid by lubricating stuff and burning leaves. How do I get rid of it?

My local mechanic says he gives away his oil when someone comes asking for oil for bicycle chain and stuff. But he refused to accept my oil.

(I used to throw away the filter with garbage. Please suggest an environmentally friendly method to dispose the filters and oil)

This a hazardous factor and many countries have proper methods to recycling .

One liter of oil can contaminate one million liters of water.

In Sri Lanka a neglected factor.

I

Edited by Rohnd

try to give it to a proper servicing station if they take it. coz as i know most of the servicing stations are inspected by authorities frequently for proper disposal of these kind of materials. so they usually dispose the oils properly, this is a huge business as well, collecting used oil, these are largely used to coat the inner surfaced of cement, concrete, clay molds as well.

there might be few companies in colombo who take oils in, in a large quantity as i know that the only place in SL who can properly burn these used oils is the Holcim cement furnace. there are other compnies who use these to burn and generate heat, but that is not the proper way.

you best option is to find a favorable service station to give your oils away, even at a small cost.

3 hours ago, Rohnd said:

This a hazardous factor and many countries have proper methods to recycling .

One liter of oil can contaminate one million liters of water.

In Sri Lanka a neglected factor.

OH yes yes in SL there's other ways of recycling the used oils as well, like cleaning it up and refilling it to branded empty barbells. geniuses our SOBs arn't they..

I

I used to dispose oil at a service station that was owned by a friend. Suggest that you find a place like that. A couple of additional litres of oil is nothing for a large service station, so depending on the place you find, they might let you dispose the oil for free. Or you can pay them for it as charithtg said. 

Thank you for your responses.

Servicestations produce more oil than the mechanics it seems. They are happy to accept oil from us. Looks like the service stations sell it. I'll get rid of my waste oil in the next weekend.

The filters are sold for scrap metal. The filter paper with some oil ends up in landfill, I presume.

Appreciate the OP for asking such questions.

Due to this disposal issue, I stopped changing oil at my home. Oil changing was the DIY job with lots of satisfaction to me!!!

I still regret for not practicing now.

4 years back I paid LKR 50/= to service station to dispose the burnt oil. Finding a time to go the service with the used oil cans was the difficult job.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://AutoLanka.com mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• 3 years later...