• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Tropicalisation - German Brands

monty

Hi

I've noticed that there are more Mercs, BMWs and Audis up for sale in most car sales these days than the number of Japanese vehicles they have. I assume these are reconditioned imports from UK. I'm thinking of getting down a recon one through an importer instead of sticking with the local agents for a brand new (of course due to the price difference, which is about 2 million less + specs/variants that are not available with the agent). However, I have a concern that these recon vehicles from UK may not be tropicalised for our weather + road conditions as opposed to the ones purchased brand new through local agent. I assume this is not a problem with recon Japanese vehicles though. Please share your thoughts. Cheers!

The leather upholstery will crack anyway under our heat,unless it is frequently maintained.

Other concern is fuel quality,which could cause Injector,DPF issues prematurely. Reprogramming of the ECU might help(It seems Bosch-service center @ D*MO is doing this now,also for personal imports)

Edited by ajm

On 4/9/2018 at 4:54 PM, monty said:

Hi

I've noticed that there are more Mercs, BMWs and Audis up for sale in most car sales these days than the number of Japanese vehicles they have. I assume these are reconditioned imports from UK. I'm thinking of getting down a recon one through an importer instead of sticking with the local agents for a brand new (of course due to the price difference, which is about 2 million less + specs/variants that are not available with the agent). However, I have a concern that these recon vehicles from UK may not be tropicalised for our weather + road conditions as opposed to the ones purchased brand new through local agent. I assume this is not a problem with recon Japanese vehicles though. Please share your thoughts. Cheers!

As a measure lot of German firms source necessary spares from China. This will down the manufacturer costs and also relative low price differences against Japanese counter makes. Big problem for the Japanese Car makers.  Our C/C Duty rates make the problem for worse.  So the Mercs ,BMW become common people's vehicles.

In future there will be no problem for this tropicalisation problem thanks to Chinese sourced parts.

To avoid said common people's vehicles our politicians airlifts specially blended BMW and Mercs vehicles, which are not available with local BMW/Mercs dealers.  No problem for them too.

Japan will not provide aids to Sri Lanka other than commercial loans. Again no problem for our politicians !

10 hours ago, Rohnd said:

Japan will not provide aids to Sri Lanka other than commercial loans. Again no problem for our politicians !

It is a good thing than Japan (or any other country for that matter) does NOT give AIDS to Sri lanka !!! 

Actually, Japan and many other countries in the world give billions of dollars in aid to SL....these countries just don't give aid to do things  our "people" think to be "development" projects. For the things our people think are development these countries give loans/grants (usually along with far better sustainable technical and commercial support) that get beaten by Chinese loans. <sorry for the rant....having been in the dev aid sector for 1.5 decades this is something that really irks me>.

Edited by iRage

43 minutes ago, Quiet said:

:huh: Aquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome

Yes :) Using the word "aids" at the wrong place can give a whole different meaning :D Whilst "aids" is an accepted plural form of "aid" in modern English; in the world of "development aid" we like to keep the plural of "development aid" <or any reference to such> as development aid :) <as usage of the term aids can be quite confusing :D >

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rohnd said:

In future there will be no problem for this tropicalisation problem thanks to Chinese sourced parts.

chinese parts are better "tropicalised"  because they are from China?

1.Mainland China is not more "Tropical" than Inglostadt or Gottenburg

2.Although the Chinese multi-nationals are manufacturing,the mother companies are from West 3.Even it was a 100% Chinese supplier,the Temperature/Test specifications are given by the Car companies in the West

One example is Chinese Manufacturer Geely entering the EU market Through the acquisition of Volvo,but that has not made Volvos sold in EU more "Tropicalised" acc.to your Logic. But the truth is everyone wants to save costs these days,so unless a vehicle is developed for a Hot-climate market like middle east,they like to keep the Engineering costs minimum by reducing the HW and SW variants.

Edited by vag2
  • Like 1

lifetime of cooling and AC components could be reduced due to more frequent operation at higher temperatures compared to a vehicle driven in a colder country if using same components.same applies to hybrid batteries and electrolyte capacitors.

Edited by vag2