• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Importing a Brand New vehicle from UK

Junkfriend

For starters...RMV and customs will not consider your vehicle to be BRAND NEW in the country. It will be considered used. Brand new cars are only available through the local agent. So called "Zero mileage" cars you would buy in Japan or UK or any other country will be considered as used because those vehicles are fisrt released/sold by the manufacture in that country, de-registered and imported here. As such you will need to get an inspection certificate which can be verified.

Edited by iRage

What are the safety features that are lacking, are they really useful. You are forgoing agent support and a 5 year warranty.

Last week i reversed in to a rolled wired mesh in my Corolla which is supposed to prevent this with Intelligent clearance sonar [parking support brake(stationary object)]

Fortunately no big damage just a small scrape

Believe me it is quite painful to drive a car with all safety gizmos in SL traffic.

Highway is a different story if you have radar control cruise, steering assist and the balls to let the car do what it does.

16 hours ago, iRage said:

For starters...RMV and customs will not consider your vehicle to be BRAND NEW in the country. It will be considered used. Brand new cars are only available through the local agent. So called "Zero mileage" cars you would buy in Japan or UK or any other country will be considered as used because those vehicles are fisrt released/sold by the manufacture in that country, de-registered and imported here. As such you will need to get an inspection certificate which can be verified.

Hi IRage, 

This is not true. I know a two of my colleagues who bought vehicles from Australia (one EC) and UK (one 3008) and registered their vehicles as Brand New . They had to go through some extended procedure, but able to register as a brand new vehicle.

There should be a loophole in the regulatory system :) 

Edited by vitz

In terms of buying a vehicle from the UK, it is possible to side step the exporters but you need to wonder if there is a benefit in doing that. Most exporters only keep the VAT refund as their margin anyway. As a person you cannot claim the VAT back. Only a VAT registered business can do that and it takes a couple of months. 

Also remember the LC system does offer some protection and exchange controls might make it difficult to make payment any other way. Most UK car dealerships aren't setup for LC based exports.

It is possible to buy a vehicle in the UK without paying VAT if you are buying it for export. But you have to be present in the country to do this and only certain dealerships have experience with this scheme. But it is possible. 

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/personal-export-scheme-notice-707

8 hours ago, vitz said:

Hi IRage, 

This is not true. I know a two of my colleagues who bought vehicles from Australia (one EC) and UK (one 3008) and registered their vehicles as Brand New . They had to go through some extended procedure, but able to register as a brand new vehicle.

There should be a loophole in the regulatory system :) 

It probably is a loophole than the norm. Also, the customs will not consider it as a brand new vehicle unless it is a apart of the agent's consignment.For a car to be considered to be brand new it has to come directly from the manufacturer's supply chain in to the country. I guess there is always a way that the manufacturer's agent would verify it and then do some paperwork..then again in most countries the manufacturers' agent is not able to release the vehicle without a prior registration as well (sometimes registration requirements itself..sometimes it is warranty and service obligation issues and sometimes it is issues like tax as the don mentioned) but is it worth it ?   At the end of the day...if you can trust the imported vehicle ..does it really matter what it says on the book ? Even when reselling it...it really does not matter what the book says how and waht the car came in as...what matters is the status of the car then and there.

Edited by iRage

Well....then maybe they do verify and book it as a brand new....but again....I ask..what is the point ? The book saying "Brand new" does not mean that much if you REALLY think about it does it ? What is important is the know how of where the car came from when you import it (besides....if it was sitting in a car sale...you never know where it came from...). Even when you are selling it after using it for sometime...it really does not matter if the previous owner bought the car as a brand new vehicle or a used vehicle..what matters is the condition of the car right then and there as you see it when you are purchasing it. Sorry..but to me the book saying brand new is just one of those things people create for themselves with the hope of creating false market value (the it is just a matter of time until some cheap car salesman just starts tagging all kinds of welded up, meter turned cars as brand new). This to me is just like some people trying to sell their cars at a premium price just because they still have the auction sheets and de-registration certificates of the car when it was shipped out from Japan 3 or 4 years ago. 

On 2/20/2020 at 12:00 PM, iRage said:

Well....then maybe they do verify and book it as a brand new....but again....I ask..what is the point ? The book saying "Brand new" does not mean that much if you REALLY think about it does it ? What is important is the know how of where the car came from when you import it (besides....if it was sitting in a car sale...you never know where it came from...). Even when you are selling it after using it for sometime...it really does not matter if the previous owner bought the car as a brand new vehicle or a used vehicle..what matters is the condition of the car right then and there as you see it when you are purchasing it. Sorry..but to me the book saying brand new is just one of those things people create for themselves with the hope of creating false market value (the it is just a matter of time until some cheap car salesman just starts tagging all kinds of welded up, meter turned cars as brand new). This to me is just like some people trying to sell their cars at a premium price just because they still have the auction sheets and de-registration certificates of the car when it was shipped out from Japan 3 or 4 years ago. 

It does give some authenticity to the vehicle when all documentation is in place. Any one will prefer to buy a agent imported vehicle with full service history from the agent over a car without proper records.

As iRage mentioned in the case of a gray import whether it is registered brand new/ recondition/ imported zero mileage will not matter much over the condition.

But i know it pays if you keep proper records, all my previous car were sold with a mere test drive and comprehensive set of records.

2 hours ago, kush said:

It does give some authenticity to the vehicle when all documentation is in place. Any one will prefer to buy a agent imported vehicle with full service history from the agent over a car without proper records.

As iRage mentioned in the case of a gray import whether it is registered brand new/ recondition/ imported zero mileage will not matter much over the condition.

But i know it pays if you keep proper records, all my previous car were sold with a mere test drive and comprehensive set of records.

but....if a grey import can be registered as "brand new" that does not mean that the agent records are going to be there. Seriously doubt any proper/strict verification of the actual condition of the car is being done when they do it..so the "Brand New" record on a grey import is just a lost cause because we do not know how trustworthy the importer is. Now..if the book says Brand New and that is accompanied with the agent's actual invoice, and delivery notes...then that is a different story.  But this paying extra to get Brand New put on your grey import does nothing except create a false sense of security. But then..at the end of the day..it is the condition at hand that matters.

On 2/20/2020 at 10:23 AM, Quiet said:

My Audi says brand new in the book although its is a grey import. You have to pay some additional money and go show the vehicele RMV. I do not know how b'cos a friend did it for me

Same with mine. Although mine doesn't say 'Brand New'. It just says New. It had to be taken to RMV for weighing etc - the process was handled by the car sale guy that imported it.