• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Agent support for Recon German Vehicles

monty

Hi Guys,

Does the local agents for German brands like Audi and BMW provide repair/maintenance services for vehicles which are not bought brand new through them but personally imported reconditioned?

I'm considering to import one through an agent but first wanted to make sure that I can go to the agents in case any maintenance/repair work is required in the long run.

Thanks.

On 4/5/2018 at 2:45 PM, Quiet said:

They charge a registration charge which is pretty high. For BMW there is an alternate place set up by the former marketing director of Agents which also offer warranties as well located in Rajagiriya.

Really? Im not sure about BM's but LR/Jaguar agents do repairs regardless how you have imported it, they can also track your overseas maintenance via the vehicle code. I was assuming all agents were like that lolz.  

14 hours ago, Junkfriend said:

Really? Im not sure about BM's but LR/Jaguar agents do repairs regardless how you have imported it, they can also track your overseas maintenance via the vehicle code. I was assuming all agents were like that lolz.  

You are right, JLR totally refuses to service any vehicle thats not sold by them. The German brands do so on registering with them after paying a hefty registration charge. 

But the biggest downside to unofficial imports is the lack of manufacturer warranty. Personally I could never live with a European car without warranty. Especially JLR cars.

35 minutes ago, zeristo said:

Personally I could never live with a European car without warranty. Especially JLR cars.

You can live with the engin and gearbox problems of the new Hondas and Xtrails without manufacturers warranty?

11 hours ago, zeristo said:

You are right, JLR totally refuses to service any vehicle thats not sold by them. The German brands do so on registering with them after paying a hefty registration charge. 

But the biggest downside to unofficial imports is the lack of manufacturer warranty. Personally I could never live with a European car without warranty. Especially JLR cars.

I meant they don't I have no problem servicing / repairing LR's directly important I was never asked to register or anything like that but that being said im a long time customer and I not sure they have changed the rules recently.

btw their warranty don't cover things such as shocks which costs about over 1 mil to replace on high end LR's :(

On 4/8/2018 at 1:05 AM, vag2 said:

You can live with the engin and gearbox problems of the new Hondas and Xtrails without manufacturers warranty?

Yes I could since I know whatever happens the repair bills aint gonna cost a Wagon R in terms of price. Plus, no of mechs to repair Japanese machines are far more than the european mechs. High supply = low pricing (labour). also low parts cost.

• 1 month later...

Somewhat related topic. So didnt want to open another thread. 
Looking for some advice on non agent import 2016/2017 BMW 3 Series, X1 or even an A4. Visiting few sales it seems that there are cars imported from Japan, UK and even Australia. Various opinions of which ones are better. For example lot of comments saying the UK imports are not suited here. Comments against the Jap ones saying the onboard system has limitations. Ausie ones are rare to find and say that they come very loaded. UK ones having the least options etc. Ofcourse Agent imported one would be the best but hard to find. 
Anyone with experience on a Jap import of a BMW or an Audi?
Any recommendations or things to look out for?

On 4/5/2018 at 2:09 PM, monty said:

Hi Guys,

Does the local agents for German brands like Audi and BMW provide repair/maintenance services for vehicles which are not bought brand new through them but personally imported reconditioned?

I'm considering to import one through an agent but first wanted to make sure that I can go to the agents in case any maintenance/repair work is required in the long run.

Thanks.

Did you get a Jap, UK or Australian import? Did you do any research on pros and cons of each? If so could you share some thoughts please?

This is the issue with us we buy sophisticated machines thinking we are getting a better deal not looking not only long term but even very short term.

Most of the new cars especially Euros need agent maintenance or at least a proper facility where you can plug in and do diagnostics.

The type of cars that we get down in recent times most of them are going to get ruined due to ignorance and negligence of the owners.

20 minutes ago, kush said:

This is the issue with us we buy sophisticated machines thinking we are getting a better deal not looking not only long term but even very short term.

Most of the new cars especially Euros need agent maintenance or at least a proper facility where you can plug in and do diagnostics.

The type of cars that we get down in recent times most of them are going to get ruined due to ignorance and negligence of the owners.

What make you think we, the new owners will neglect the vehicles?

any ways good news, i contacted the Bosch head service engineer named Jonathan. He confirmed that they possess original diagnostic equipment for Audi and BMW including relevant service manuals and trained staff.

So if any one who has dealt with them can comment on their work, that would be a great help.

Edited by Quiet
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Quiet said:

any ways good news, i contacted the Bosch head service engineer named Jonathan. He confirmed that they possess original diagnostic equipment for Audi and BMW including relevant service manuals and trained staff.

So if any one who has dealt with them can comment on their work, that would be a great help.

Not a personal experience but a friend apparently used them for a issue  (couple of years back) of a very popular JDM car used in SL. He indicated to me that the mechanics were not very familiar with vehicle and kind of screwed up the thing where he subsequntly requested to stop the work and went to the agent in Wattala. 

Can be an isolated incident and also this is a JDM. Better consult a few more who subscribe to their services. 

Thanks

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Quiet said:

What make you think we, the new owners will neglect the vehicles?

No offense intended just my take on the general car buying public

Most of them buy Audis' as they are cheaper now with the ridiculous duty system but still for all most of them share common technologies be it a 1L A1 or 2L A4 you need specialized equipment software even to service them which will not be available in the service station across the road where majority of the users will service the vehicle.

Knowing our average service Johnny he will wash, vacuum and change the oil with what is available with him.

I'm glad that at least some of you are making inquires and trying to do best for the vehicle.

If it was my car i would take it to the agent and get the service done, might cost bit more but for the peace of mind. 

14 minutes ago, kush said:

No offense intended just my take on the general car buying public

Most of them buy Audis' as they are cheaper now with the ridiculous duty system but still for all most of them share common technologies be it a 1L A1 or 2L A4 you need specialized equipment software even to service them which will not be available in the service station across the road where majority of the users will service the vehicle.

Knowing our average service Johnny he will wash, vacuum and change the oil with what is available with him.

I'm glad that at least some of you are making inquires and trying to do best for the vehicle.

If it was my car i would take it to the agent and get the service done, might cost bit more but for the peace of mind. 

I inquired from the agents. unfortunately they dont accept gray market vehicles. so no option but look for some one with the right equipment. I am used doing all my maintenance with agents for all my previous vehicles and im looking for the best.

On 6/1/2018 at 2:28 PM, Quiet said:

Any idea about place called Ide*lChoi*e some people recommended me the place. Part of Mahindra Agents and they do maintenance of all continental vehicles.

Yes, most of the sales I checked out Audi cars direct towards them in Ratmalana. Anyone with experience with them? Even few BMW sellers recommended them. But for BMW i think we have a wider choice. Probably the reason why BMWs and Mercs still hold better resale value. 

• Thanks 1