Jump to content
  • Welcome to AutoLanka

    :action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

K.o.N.o.S

Car Polishing & waxing tips

Recommended Posts

Guys I am planning to polish & wax my car & this will be a first time for me to perform such a task. Hence if you could give me any advice,any tips/experience you had in the past, that would be really helpful to me. I love these DIY jobs and I will be using autoglym products. Also I would like to know whether polishing & waxing prevent small scratches or not.Just want to protect the clearcoat. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All body panels should be cool - to stop wax baking.  wash and dry in a shady ,well ventilated aria.

start with a small area at a time.

keep all plastics + beading clear as the drying wax will make them white.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Twin Turbo said:

All body panels should be cool - to stop wax baking.  wash and dry in a shady ,well ventilated aria.

start with a small area at a time.

keep all plastics + beading clear as the drying wax will make them white.

After applying How long should I wait before buffing the wax? 5-10 min?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, K.o.N.o.S said:

After applying How long should I wait before buffing the wax? 5-10 min?

Or you could use spray wax. No buffing or streaking. Works just as fine as paste wax, you'll have to wax a tad bit more frequently though.

hG1S155.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spray waxes dont last as long as paste, its good if ur at a car meet n want that quick shine...again this would be a bad idea as u just drove ur car n fine dust can scratch the paint work. use the two bucket wash method to prep the car for polishing n wax. like mentioned above by @Twin Turbo how long it should be  will be according to the wax brand or type u use, mostly few minutes n buff it off.

Commonly we are used to applying wax and removing in circular motion but, i would suggest a up n down movement to avoid any fine swirl marks (also apply's to washing n soap)^_^

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Muditha420 said:

Spray waxes dont last as long as paste, its good if ur at a car meet n want that quick shine...again this would be a bad idea as u just drove ur car n fine dust can scratch the paint work. use the two bucket wash method to prep the car for polishing n wax. like mentioned above by @Twin Turbo how long it should be  will be according to the wax brand or type u use, mostly few minutes n buff it off.

Commonly we are used to applying wax and removing in circular motion but, i would suggest a up n down movement to avoid any fine swirl marks (also apply's to washing n soap)^_^

7

 

I use eagle one nano wax spray, the manufacturer says its max durability is 6 months. I always put a new coat on once every month (after prepping the car), and it retains the shine and the water beading for the whole month. 

 

Edited by Hyaenidae

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Hyaenidae said:

 

I use eagle one nano wax spray, the manufacturer says its max durability is 6 months. I always put a new coat on once every month (after prepping the car), and it retains the shine and the water beading for the whole month. 

 

Is Nano Wax Spray available in SL?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Hyaenidae said:

 

I use eagle one nano wax spray, the manufacturer says its max durability is 6 months. I always put a new coat on once every month (after prepping the car), and it retains the shine and the water beading for the whole month. 

 

@Hyaenidaeguess u are one of the lucky chaps mate, unfortunately i hv tried Turtle Ice, Eagle one both turned out to be in the same boat. As your car is new chances are ur paint work offers the shine rather than the wax doing it, Yes the water beading retains as u said on both roughly a month but a paste wax last longer.

On the paste front i hv tried 99Soft, AutoGlym, Maguiers & finally Chemical Guys of which the last one did it for me.

Last 3 products are a bit expensive BUT if you do the prep work and follow certain procedures not only applying wax like claying as well, these 3 products will give a longer deeper colour and will last far longer

99Soft remarkably does a very good job (not the crap one i read somewhere) water beading a depth of shine also works well.

@K.o.N.o.SIF your car is an old one with the paint on a dull colour, i would suggest a cut & polish from a good place and then get the car home, choose a good product and get the job done.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RWD said:

Is Nano Wax Spray available in SL?

Yes, 994/-

Edited by Hyaenidae

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Hyaenidae said:

Yes, 994/-

where from please?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/4/2018 at 4:41 PM, Muditha420 said:

@Hyaenidaeguess u are one of the lucky chaps mate, unfortunately i hv tried Turtle Ice, Eagle one both turned out to be in the same boat. As your car is new chances are ur paint work offers the shine rather than the wax doing it, Yes the water beading retains as u said on both roughly a month but a paste wax last longer.

On the paste front i hv tried 99Soft, AutoGlym, Maguiers & finally Chemical Guys of which the last one did it for me.

Last 3 products are a bit expensive BUT if you do the prep work and follow certain procedures not only applying wax like claying as well, these 3 products will give a longer deeper colour and will last far longer

99Soft remarkably does a very good job (not the crap one i read somewhere) water beading a depth of shine also works well.

@K.o.N.o.SIF your car is an old one with the paint on a dull colour, i would suggest a cut & polish from a good place and then get the car home, choose a good product and get the job done.

Muditha thanks for your advice.Fyi.car is Mazda demio 2009- Dark grey 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is Nano wax spray as good as as it sounds? Btw how much will be the original 99soft? I am tempted to use autoglym products but the price tag keeps pushing me back...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unit#d Mot#rs has some offers these days. When you buy 2 nano waxes, you get one free. So the average cost comes to about Rs.662 per bottle.

Or you get 25% off on Eagle One & Simoniz products if you have a HNB credit card. (Valid till the 30th of April) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, NRA95 said:

Unit#d Mot#rs has some offers these days. When you buy 2 nano waxes, you get one free. So the average cost comes to about Rs.662 per bottle.

Or you get 25% off on Eagle One & Simoniz products if you have a HNB credit card. (Valid till the 30th of April) 

Thanks for the tip. Will definitely check it out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, K.o.N.o.S said:

Is Nano wax spray as good as as it sounds? Btw how much will be the original 99soft? I am tempted to use autoglym products but the price tag keeps pushing me back...?

Autoglym is a good product with good result. since its a darker shade do a cut n polish n then use a good product. will bring out the shine much better. IF under sunlight ur getting too much of scratches n swirl marks best to do what i mentioned above coz even if u do buy a very expensive product it wont do any good. I hv done enough of research to empty my wallet in pursuit of happiness LOL :lol:

First 2 images are about the swirl marks i mentioned before, one side done n the other without (swirl mark remover - 3M Swirl mark remover) and the Final result. (no machine used here just elbow grease & that 3M stuff is very strong)

IMG_20160327_120228.jpg

IMG_20160327_185435.jpg

IMG_20160917_140620.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Muditha420 said:

 

 

IMG_20160917_140620.jpg

 

Debadged? 

She looks stunning btw... 

Edited by Hyaenidae

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LOL Debadged?:D

IF you mean the number plates my usual wax n polish goes to an extreme of taking the plates off n doing the work... 

Thanks btw...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Muditha420 said:

LOL Debadged?:D

IF you mean the number plates my usual wax n polish goes to an extreme of taking the plates off n doing the work... 

Thanks btw...

No, no, Shouldn't there be a Subaru badge on the front grille ?

And how much swirl marks is the right time to do a polish ? How many times would I be able to polish the car before I take the clearcoat off ?

Edited by Hyaenidae

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please do not polish it more than once or so a year ! You will be thinning out everything from the clear coat to the paint right until the metal is barely covered.

How long it will take for you to get swirl marks depends on how you use and take care of the car. The protectans help to a certain degree but at the end of the day you have to do everything from wash and wipe the car properly to being careful about things like leaning against the car to pets rubbing and running all over it to things along the road.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NO mate... the front grill is a RFRB grill sort of an option that came with the Legacy B4 trim. there are several types of grills one with the badge as well.

okay two questions which is a bit hard to explain but will try to

"And how much swirl marks is the right time to do a polish"

you can limit the swirl marks by using the two bucket wash method and using several micro fiber towels for

  1. lower parts of the car (below the door handle & continue around the car)
  2. upper part of the car and
  3. for the windows

so that's 3 micro fiber towels and a wheel brush n towel for the rims (DO NOT use this same towel on the body work, brake dust will damage it). Loads of foam (soap) will help to loosen up the tough mud spray and road grim there by reducing the pressure you need to use to wipe it off and again reduce the scratches. 

there are small equipment's to measure the reflection of the paint work and there by doing the polish n waxing but i prefer to visually check (that's cheaper^_^) and if the marks are bit more than my liking I'll start the work.

Hope that answers your Q.

 

"How many times would I be able to polish the car before I take the clear-coat off ?"

this defers from car manufacturer as far as i read n understood mate, German car have a tougher coating so it will last several cuts with a machine, American cars have a better clear coat level than the German rivals and finally the Japs hv a thin layer compared with the 2 above.

so for your question best to maintain what you have now in good condition with good products. i would say IF u hv to do a cut n polish with a machine 3 times would be Max BUT will depend on the clear-coat level and the person who does the cutting since if he's a bit too harsh will take the clear-coat or else the paint off (that's why best to take it to a reputed place when doing such things).

 

I usually do a waxing once a month depending on if it rained or not, water beading level and the feel of the paint work (if its soft ur good, if not and feels rough a bit, time for a wax):D sadly these days didn't hv anytime with house work n all but should start soon.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no idea where you gents find the time these days to spend hours waxing your car. For me, I just run it to a good detailing place every so often and get the job done. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Muditha420 said:

NO mate... the front grill is a RFRB grill sort of an option that came with the Legacy B4 trim. there are several types of grills one with the badge as well.

okay two questions which is a bit hard to explain but will try to

"And how much swirl marks is the right time to do a polish"

you can limit the swirl marks by using the two bucket wash method and using several micro fiber towels for

  1. lower parts of the car (below the door handle & continue around the car)
  2. upper part of the car and
  3. for the windows

so that's 3 micro fiber towels and a wheel brush n towel for the rims (DO NOT use this same towel on the body work, brake dust will damage it). Loads of foam (soap) will help to loosen up the tough mud spray and road grim there by reducing the pressure you need to use to wipe it off and again reduce the scratches. 

there are small equipment's to measure the reflection of the paint work and there by doing the polish n waxing but i prefer to visually check (that's cheaper^_^) and if the marks are bit more than my liking I'll start the work.

Hope that answers your Q.

 

"How many times would I be able to polish the car before I take the clear-coat off ?"

this defers from car manufacturer as far as i read n understood mate, German car have a tougher coating so it will last several cuts with a machine, American cars have a better clear coat level than the German rivals and finally the Japs hv a thin layer compared with the 2 above.

so for your question best to maintain what you have now in good condition with good products. i would say IF u hv to do a cut n polish with a machine 3 times would be Max BUT will depend on the clear-coat level and the person who does the cutting since if he's a bit too harsh will take the clear-coat or else the paint off (that's why best to take it to a reputed place when doing such things).

 

I usually do a waxing once a month depending on if it rained or not, water beading level and the feel of the paint work (if its soft ur good, if not and feels rough a bit, time for a wax):D sadly these days didn't hv anytime with house work n all but should start soon.

 

Thanks for your detailed answer @Muditha420 !!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Supra_Natural said:

I have no idea where you gents find the time these days to spend hours waxing your car. For me, I just run it to a good detailing place every so often and get the job done. 

It takes about 30-40 mins max as I use a spray wax. So far I'm satisfied with the shine and the water beading :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register for a new account in our community. It's easy and FREE!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×